Jamaican dancehall culture IS what American hip-hop culture wants to be...

Vilhena

All Star
Daps
"It Wasn't Me" was basically an R&B song w/ a HipHop beat. Dancehall w/o the Urban American influences has never sold/crossed over

23:24-28:40

In the end its a language barrier, it will never cross over unless its on some pop shyt liek Major Lazer. fukk even Major Lazer had to switch it up for this album to do numbers. His last 2 albums were dancehall influenced but didn't do well. He switched it up now it has.

I prefer it not blow up, Dancehall is proper the way it is.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
In the end its a language barrier, it will never cross over unless its on some pop shyt .

Yes and no. This plays a part for sure but how would one explain how Reggaeton was able to crossover so much during the period when it was hot? I remember around that time Dancehall was having commercial success too but Reggaeton was a little bigger and many Jamaicans were mad since it jacked to a large degree from dancehall but added those same Urban American influences.

Dreadknox77

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"It Wasn't Me" was basically an R&B song w/ a HipHop beat. Dancehall w/o the Urban American influences has never sold/crossed over

23:24-28:40

Hmmm, shabba ranks, supercat, Beenie Man , Sean Paul all sold very well and kept the core dancehall style.

You made statement, u were wrong...concede the point and keep the discussion moving.

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
Hip Hop artists sampled more Jazz, Funk, and Soul records in their music than Dancehall or Reggae. The Last Poets, Watts Prophets, Gil Scott-Heron, James Brown, Hustlers Convention, Pigmeat Markham, Bobby Robinson, Signifying Monkey and Jocko Henderson lay the foundation for hip hop. Hip Hop music is still a Black American art form. The term "Hip Hop" dates back to '40s when Black Americans would say they were "hip-hopping" when they went out on town.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
That was hip hop through out the seventies and early eighties:beli:

ONLY because the level of money behind dancehall is much lower. Let white kids start to like dancehall - then contact me ten years later to see what happened.

Dancehall culture never had that all-encompassing swagger, which is why it never became as big

Last edited:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY

Dancehall culture never had that all-encompassing swagger, which is why it never became as big

cats really thinking black american people and more importantly black american music had the whole "American machine" behind it from jump street. Every single one of our genres including hip hop had extremely grassroots beginnings

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
Hiphop came from Dancehall.
No it didn't. Bobby Robinson is the first hip hop producer. The Sugarhill records is the first hip hop record label. Hip hop music started in the late 70s-early 80s. Sugarhillgang, Funk Four + One, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious, The Treacherous Three, The Crash Crew, etc... Use Funk and Soul music in their songs more than Dancehall.