Jalen Brunson signs $156M extension with Knicks; Gives up chance at 5-year $269M contract in 2025

How critical is this for NYK?

• Total voters

Braman

Superstar
Daps
He smart. He know a dude like him dont supposed to be this good lol

If he was up in 3 years or even 2, maybe. But he’s up for his max NEXT YEAR.

He could literally tear his acl (God forbid ) and STILL get his max. He’s only 27. He likely will fall off a cliff earlier than most, but barring injury it won’t be next year.

AND they’re already set up to be elite. He’s gonna create even more goodwill and staying power. This was bad. Very very bad

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Make no mistake this is the worst player contract decision in sports history. Not NBA, ALL SPORTS. Ever.

It surpasses I forget the guy who turned down 90m a few years ago. It surpassed Latrell Sprewell ‘I gotta feed my kids’. It surpassed Scottie Pippen’s deal. It surpasses I think it was Ewing who signed 10 years for 10 million right before TV money kicked in. The only difference is Brunson ain’t starving obviously. But my goodness he shaved off a whole generation of wealth.

Not to mention in large markets you pay WAY more taxes and cost of living, so your market value is supposed to be HIGHER to offset that. So him taking 150 or whatever it is is like if someone else took 90. This is insanity.

And let’s be clear ain’t no way he’s getting any ‘under the table’ money. Mfers not risking a fed case for this ngga. They finessed him. People overhyping them little as relationships. They finessed his whole family. And they are NOT going to make up for it and pay him extra when he’s washed in 4 years.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
FYI, people keep metioning Joe smith. The way that ever came to light is the agent became a whistleblower bc after the under the table deal was done, the Wolves/Smith only paid commission on the 1 mill which was the official contract amount. He thought he was due commission on the 80 mil under the table amount.

Which, of course they didnt want to pay bc they probably realized they’d have to cool their books even more and commit fraud

So, there is ZERO chance there is any under the table deal. Damn sure not to recoup 100 mill

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Guess he just wanted to bet on himself...

giphy-4.gif

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Star player signs supermax extension - “Wow, he’s fukkin the salary cap up and not giving his team the opportunity to build long term”

Star player signs extension a year early to give his team flexibility long term - “Nah, they need to investigate because the league and NBAPA shouldn’t allow this”
:ahh:
As someone who's advocated for stars' right to take less to win, ignoring personal/familial connections is disingenuous...

Last edited:

calh45

Cal
Daps
Love don’t pay the bills and that NY tax is brutal.
Brutal or not it's $150 million over 4 years. He's not gonna be struggling in NYC no matter what. He didn't max, but he didn't pull a Ricky Williams in New Orleans.

It'd be different if he took $50 million instead of $300 million, but 9 figures is fantastic no matter where you are even if he pays the taxes straight up and doesn't have tax havens/shenanigans in play.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Brutal or not it's $150 million over 4 years. He's not gonna be struggling in NYC no matter what. He didn't max, but he didn't pull a Ricky Williams in New Orleans.

It'd be different if he took $50 million instead of $300 million, but 9 figures is fantastic no matter where you are even if he pays the taxes straight up and doesn't have tax havens/shenanigans in play.

Its not far off that. NY Cost of living and NY taxes? He is not far off

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
Good move for the Knicks but don't know about for Brunson. If he gets hurt next year all that loyalty shyt will go out the window. I understand trying to be a trendsetter but cats giving up money won't fly to much. And couldn't he have left 30-40 million on the table next year and just signed for like 200-210 or something?
The players union should be going fukking crazy right now, this is fukking exploitive and manipulative

Braman

Superstar
Daps
A 113M difference is very far off a 250M difference lol...nobody making 40M a year is concerned with cost of living in any state

100 mil instantly becomes about 55 after taxes. 55 in NY or LA is more like 30 anywhere else.

So just like that your 100 mill difference is 30, maybe lower.

I repeat, he ain’t far off it.

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
:whoo:He’s insane for this and I love it
he's a goddamn fool. Aint no fukking way I'm giving a billionair a break to "make the team better". fuk that. To put it in perspective, if You're making $35 an hour at your job and the comes in to say, "you're our best worker, would you mind going down to $17 an hour so we can get more good workers?". :russ: . I'm against players taking pay cuts