Jalen Brunson signs $156M extension with Knicks; Gives up chance at 5-year $269M contract in 2025

How critical is this for NYK?

• Total voters

Canon

Veteran
Daps
he's a goddamn fool. Aint no fukking way I'm giving a billionair a break to "make the team better". fuk that. To put it in perspective, if You're making $35 an hour at your job and the comes in to say, "you're our best worker, would you mind going down to $17 an hour so we can get more good workers?". :russ: . I'm against players taking pay cuts
I am to in 99.99999999% scenarios

but Knicks coming for that chip :blessed:

In The Zone '98

Superstar
Daps
he's a goddamn fool. Aint no fukking way I'm giving a billionair a break to "make the team better". fuk that. To put it in perspective, if You're making $35 an hour at your job and the comes in to say, "you're our best worker, would you mind going down to $17 an hour so we can get more good workers?". :russ: . I'm against players taking pay cuts

His salary doubled

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
His salary doubled
regardless if it doubled, as a millionair, you don't leave money on the table for a billionaire. I remember when Boogie turned down a $40 million dollar deal to sign with the Warriors for $5 million. He wanted a ring and still didn't get it. I think he made about $6 million the rest of his career bouncing from team to team.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
100 mil instantly becomes about 55 after taxes. 55 in NY or LA is more like 30 anywhere else.

So just like that your 100 mill difference is 30, maybe lower.

I repeat, he ain’t far off it.
Again, nobody making 40M a year is concerned with a state's cost of living.

You're vastly overstating NY tax rates. He is very far off from turning down 300M for 50M.

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
I am to in 99.99999999% scenarios

but Knicks coming for that chip :blessed:
fukk that ring hahaha. A lot of players sell their rings after retirement. Randy brown won 3 in chicago and put them up for auction. Kareem just sold some of his trophies and rings. Dr J too. Guys back then weren't making the money players are now. NOw players are making life changing money in ONE season and they are like, "I don't want the money, I want a piece of jewelry". As an older person, I simply can't understand how they've let society trick them into believing an NBA legacy is more important than financial security in old age.

In The Zone '98

Superstar
Daps
fukk that ring hahaha. A lot of players sell their rings after retirement. Randy brown won 3 in chicago and put them up for auction. Kareem just sold some of his trophies and rings. Dr J too. Guys back then weren't making the money players are now. NOw players are making life changing money in ONE season and they are like, "I don't want the money, I want a piece of jewelry". As an older person, I simply can't understand how they've let society trick them into believing an NBA legacy is more important than financial security in old age.

He's gonna make $40m a year for the rest of his career if he stays healthy

His grandkids are good

calh45

Cal
Daps
Its not far off that. NY Cost of living and NY taxes? He is not far off
In his case the feds are getting him more than NY is. They get taxed based on where the games are played so only about half of that is subject to NY taxes plus he could pull a Jeter and claim his permanent residence is elsewhere.

That said, the costs of living is negligible at this point. I can safely assume a few things. He already owns his house. His transportation is taken care of. Going forward he's getting free meals, drinks, tickets, etc. He gave up income, but the goodwill coming back is clearing out future expenses. He's going to have to fight to pay for stuff. Look at how their fandom is reacting.

Egomaniacal1

Director of the Federal Bureau of Instigation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Martin, TN
Money ain’t everything…He wants to be an NBA champion and is willing to sacrifice money to get there. I can not only respect it but I’m rooting for him hard now. He’s going down as the greatest Knick of all time if they make the right moves with that money….bringing the Knick back to prominence and relevance.

I also think it helps to have his dad in the organization and I think they must have negotiated a level of power of the moves the Knicks will be making going forward. I won’t be surprised if his dad is promoted to head coach or high level GM in the next year or two.

Mr. Jack Napier

#MambaForever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
You been glazing Melo 24/7. STFU, bandwagon fakkit
You typed that in Dockers with no underwear, huh whiteboy
full

Mr. Jack Napier

#MambaForever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
regardless if it doubled, as a millionair, you don't leave money on the table for a billionaire. I remember when Boogie turned down a $40 million dollar deal to sign with the Warriors for $5 million. He wanted a ring and still didn't get it. I think he made about $6 million the rest of his career bouncing from team to team.
You're comparing a star player coming off an all-nba season to a player who was coming back from a major injury.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
100 mil instantly becomes about 55 after taxes. 55 in NY or LA is more like 30 anywhere else.

So just like that your 100 mill difference is 30, maybe lower.

I repeat, he ain’t far off it.

Something tells me the Knicks got some connections to a Wall Street firm in NYC where they can park the extra money he was supposed to get in a tax shelter investment account. Because the income tax rate in NYC for high earners is about 45%. So his income will be essentially cut in half

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
This is bullshyt from a fan perspective, because I hate to see the players doing shyt that their billionaire owners would NEVER fukking do, they just aren’t willing to go too far into the luxury taxes. At the end of the day, all you Knick fans that applauding this, just relax, and remember that it’s still the knicks lol and ownership is completely fukking stupid, as long as Dolan owns the knicks, it’s not gonna happen!

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Money ain’t everything…He wants to be an NBA champion and is willing to sacrifice money to get there.

Now see, this is the conditioning teams have done to fans, and those fans become dumbass players like Brunson

It’s even more asinine considering the Knicks are already locked into 4 high price players. People are talking as if this opens up a max contract slot. It doesn’t. The Knicks are only operating on birds rights. This only helps them with their MLE and saves Dolan some luxury tax/apron money. Even dumber when you consider they are loaded with role players already

Buddy turned down 100 mill so they can give nggas like Dennis Schroeder 10 million

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
Jalen is bugging. Unless he has a no trade clause, i don't get this move. I'm sorry ya'll I know Knicks fans are happy. But they will trade Brunson if they don't win or get an unbelievable offer. Stop staying loyal to teams that aren't loyal to you.
I absolutely hate how the sports industry has brainwashed people into thinking giving millions back to a BILLION dollar organization is somehow noble :mjlol:

But let Jalens play fall off, the Knicks would cut/trade him in a Heartbeat.

He a dam fool imo