It's happening: GameStop is going to close about 150 of its stores this year due to slumping sales

Egomaniacal1

Director of the Federal Bureau of Instigation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Martin, TN
I wish I were getting paid to be a shill:mjlol:, anyways nothing wrong with physical breh:whoa:. Truth be told I buy mostly digital so my wife doesn't know. She bytches about me buying games all the time. I download them shyts and if she notices me playing a new game I tell her it's a free ps plus title :deadrose:

:russ::russ::russ:

I've fixed my mind to go all digital with this gen consoles and i ain't looking back. The convenience of having all my games accessible is great but more than that for me It was becoming a chore trying to figure out who had the best trade-in values and deals on games. Just view digital games like any other purchase that you'll only consume/enjoy and not have anything afterwards to show for it...going out to eat, going to a concert, sporting event, movie, etc...and keep it moving. I'm done worrying about that little bit of money i'd recoup on physical games. The value of games drop like crazy, i agree with being perplexed at why game rental isn't more of the norm among physical advocates.

Lo-Co

Daps
Reppin
NYC
My bff bruh. Like 100% my nikka for life. We fukk around every now and then but we were never in a relationship or anything like that, we will both hit each other up when we are dry as hell :mjlol:. We mostly just hang out though. I done smashed a bunch of her girls too so she always gone hold that against me. We both promised that if we both hit 45 and ain't married yet, then we gone marry each other :pachaha:. It's crazy cause she is a real deal dime piece :ahh:. I love that girl regardless though. So uhhhhhhh

:ufdup: u can't get the plug homie :lolbron:
so lovely :wow:

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Gamestop is like the gaming store version of Quiznos. They got caught onto their own hype only for another company to do their deals better (Amazon=/=Subway).

I think its time for Gamestop to get swallowed by Barnes and Noble brehs:whoo:

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
my-kids-reaction-at-am-after-eating-a-bag-of-halloween-candy-60060.gif

Here lies Gamestop:
iAVhmh.gif

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Gamestop just needs to accept slimmer margins on their used games.
No way should I ever be able to buy a brand new game at Best Buy for cheaper than what it would cost used at Gamestop.
The markup on used games there is disgraceful. I remember years back I bought House of the Dead Overkill for the Wii. I swear to you, Gamestop had the game used for $20.99. What does that matter? The game retailed at $19.99 :martin: . So you could buy the game cheaper, brand new, in their own damn store.

Not to mention that scummy thing they do when they mark up old COD titles back to full price when the next version drops hoping to take advantage of parents who don't have a clue.

fukk Gamestop :pacspit:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
The markup on used games there is disgraceful. I remember years back I bought House of the Dead Overkill for the Wii. I swear to you, Gamestop had the game used for $20.99. What does that matter? The game retailed at $19.99 :martin: . So you could buy the game cheaper, brand new, in their own damn store.

Not to mention that scummy thing they do when they mark up old COD titles back to full price when the next version drops hoping to take advantage of parents who don't have a clue.

fukk Gamestop :pacspit:
They do that all the time man.
I recently thought I had to resort to them 2 weekends ago.
A friend of mine threw a birthday party for his son. The kid wanted WWE2K17 for 360. Bestbuy didnt carry it so I went to 2 different gamestops that showed they had the game in stock through the website.

Each store I went to they had the game open but were trying to sell the game as new.
The first gamestop I went to I asked the employee "If I bring a brand new game in here right now, still in the wrapper, and I open it up right in front of you and say I want to return it for my money back would you let me?" :leostare:
:dwillhuh:"Well, we could let you exchange it for another copy of the same game if there was something wrong with it, or give you a store credit".
:leostare:"Right. So you wouldn't give me my money back because as soon as I opened it you would consider the game used" and I bounced.

Went to the second one and they hit me with the same story except this employee was a bit more aggressive and smug.
:smugdraper:"Well if you're worried about it being wrapped in plastic I can put it in a plastic sleeve for you and you wont be able to tell the difference."
:leostare:"Really. Let me stop you right there. This is exactly why Gamestop is going out of business. Why would I pay you full price for a game you already opened when i can go to the walmart in this same exact shopping center and get the game unopened for the same price?"

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Gamestop just needs to accept slimmer margins on their used games.
No way should I ever be able to buy a brand new game at Best Buy for cheaper than what it would cost used at Gamestop.
So their profits can further fall? Gamestop is done. Nobody needs a dedicated video game physical retailer anymore and the profits on selling new games and hardware isn't good enough to sustain one. Gamestop lived and thrived because they pioneered something that at the time people needed and wanted the mainstream retail used game market.

With Amazon Prime and GCU you have two major retailers who are basically saying we'll forgo profits on video games to get people to shop here and attempt to turn them into loyal customers and those two sell way more than just video games. Gamestop can never compete with that. If I can walk in and but a new game for $48 at a Best Buy why am I gonna pay over $50 at a Gamestop for a used one? If I can trade in my games at a Best Buy I don't need Gamestop at all.

In the past 4 years I've purchased maybe 4 things from Gamestop. I buy between 30-40 games a year and they get none of my business really. Previous to those 4 years I shopped almost exclusively at Gamestop. I am a permanently lost customer because they can't compete with who I shop with now.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
So their profits can further fall? Gamestop is done. Nobody needs a dedicated video game physical retailer anymore and the profits on selling new games and hardware isn't good enough to sustain one. Gamestop lived and thrived because they pioneered something that at the time people needed and wanted the mainstream retail used game market.

With Amazon Prime and GCU you have two major retailers who are basically saying we'll forgo profits on video games to get people to shop here and attempt to turn them into loyal customers and those two sell way more than just video games. Gamestop can never compete with that. If I can walk in and but a new game for $48 at a Best Buy why am I gonna pay over $50 at a Gamestop for a used one? If I can trade in my games at a Best Buy I don't need Gamestop at all.

In the past 4 years I've purchased maybe 4 things from Gamestop. I buy between 30-40 games a year and they get none of my business really. Previous to those 4 years I shopped almost exclusively at Gamestop. I am a permanently lost customer because they can't compete with who I shop with now.
Where I live in Virginia Beach there are a BUNCH of mom and pop video game stores selling used games and have been in business for years.
Gamestop is failing because of greed and complacency.
This isn't a case of their INABILITY to compete. This is a case of their REFUSAL to compete.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Where I live in Virginia Beach there are a BUNCH of mom and pop video game stores selling used games and have been in business for years.
Gamestop is failing because of greed and complacency.
This isn't a case of their INABILITY to compete. This is a case of their REFUSAL to compete.
Keeping a mom and pop store in a local market going is way different than keeping a national major retailer afloat. A mom and pop store can have its owners run the store not getting paid hourly and don't have to necessarily have large staffs of people. Maybe they have one or two employees not including the owner and are open 8-9 hours a day. regardless the overhead of running one is nowhere near a Gamestop.

You're talking about major downsizing to try and run Gamestop like that and they still can't afford to sell new games at below cost like Best Buy and Amazon can.