It's happening: GameStop is going to close about 150 of its stores this year due to slumping sales

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Gamestop just needs to accept slimmer margins on their used games.
No way should I ever be able to buy a brand new game at Best Buy for cheaper than what it would cost used at Gamestop.
Nope, they need to change their entire store.

Amazon/Best Buy and others are most likely just breaking even or extremely thin margins on physical software these days. They use it to get people on the page/store in order to buy other things that are profitable. Gamestop cannot afford to do that since thats the bulk of their sales.

They need to adapt or they will die.

I actually think Gamestop is an important retailer for gaming, but they have had terrible management for decades.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Nope, they need to change their entire store.

Amazon/Best Buy and others are most likely just breaking even or extremely thin margins on physical software these days. They use it to get people on the page/store in order to buy other things that are profitable. Gamestop cannot afford to do that since thats the bulk of their sales.

They need to adapt or they will die.

I actually think Gamestop is an important retailer for gaming, but they have had terrible management for decades.
This is Blockbuster all over again. By the time Gamestop noticed a problem they were in too deep to react.

The solution it probably to close most of their physical stores and go online as a primary. Maybe that will free up enough money to allow them to compete better but it will also diminish their power in the video game space.

Maybe they become a bigger publisher of games or maybe them become some type of trade in Gamefly where people can trade in and buy games but also they have that rental seasonal pass thing they were trying to do using the traded in games to rent to people through the mail. Whatever they do there isn't a future in their current model. It will continue to bleed itself dry.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
This is Blockbuster all over again. By the time Gamestop noticed a problem they were in too deep to react.

The solution it probably to close most of their physical stores and go online as a primary. Maybe that will free up enough money to allow them to compete better but it will also diminish their power in the video game space.

Maybe they become a bigger publisher of games or maybe them become some type of trade in Gamefly where people can trade in and buy games but also they have that rental seasonal pass thing they were trying to do using the traded in games to rent to people through the mail. Whatever they do there isn't a future in their current model. It will continue to bleed itself dry.
Physical is out completely. Rental/Purchase whatever...it is going away completely.

The only possible shot they have is to offer gaming hardware. Laptops, thin number of desktops and phones/handhelds AND service like Apple does with their genius bar. Gamestop actually has the physical presence to do so. It will be nice to get to a place in where you can buy your hardware and get support right away instead of mailing that shyt in somewhere. That's a HUGE part of Apple and Best Buy's business.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
So their profits can further fall? Gamestop is done. Nobody needs a dedicated video game physical retailer anymore and the profits on selling new games and hardware isn't good enough to sustain one. Gamestop lived and thrived because they pioneered something that at the time people needed and wanted the mainstream retail used game market.

With Amazon Prime and GCU you have two major retailers who are basically saying we'll forgo profits on video games to get people to shop here and attempt to turn them into loyal customers and those two sell way more than just video games. Gamestop can never compete with that. If I can walk in and but a new game for $48 at a Best Buy why am I gonna pay over $50 at a Gamestop for a used one? If I can trade in my games at a Best Buy I don't need Gamestop at all.

In the past 4 years I've purchased maybe 4 things from Gamestop. I buy between 30-40 games a year and they get none of my business really. Previous to those 4 years I shopped almost exclusively at Gamestop. I am a permanently lost customer because they can't compete with who I shop with now.
This
I use GCU but I also shop at Amazon cause Amazon carries a good selection if Vita games. No Prime but because I've been using Amazon so much lately I got an Amazon Credit Card. So, now I get a small bit back from things I was gonna buy anyway.

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
I'm surprised it took this long...

Last game I bought from there was a decade ago and when I tried to return it a week later They were giving me $20 store credit...

Refused to ever do business with that place ever again...

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
GameStop is the only place to really trade in games. They're. Necessary evil
gamestop-be-like_o_1366173.jpg

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
I don't understand how this means they're dying. Retail stores close all the time.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I don't understand how this means they're dying. Retail stores close all the time.
This is the beginning of their demise. The signs have been there for a while now. Best Buy and Amazon two major retailers sell products in the same space at less than cost. Digital downloads offer more convenience. Also damn near every major retailer now has a game trade in program.

Gamestop really doesn't offer anything that would drive people to pick them over a different store.