It's happening: GameStop is going to close about 150 of its stores this year due to slumping sales

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
This is the beginning of their demise. The signs have been there for a while now. Best Buy and Amazon two major retailers sell products in the same space at less than cost. Digital downloads offer more convenience. Also damn near every major retailer now has a game trade in program.

Gamestop really doesn't offer anything that would drive people to pick them over a different store.
I'm hearing they're opening up more stores than they're closing. I know people hate GS but this just seems like people are trying to will them to close down which is cool. But retail stores do this all the time. Including Wal Mart.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'm hearing they're opening up more stores than they're closing. I know people hate GS but this just seems like people are trying to will them to close down which is cool. But retail stores do this all the time. Including Wal Mart.
I'm not willing them to close at all. When they start selling all new games at $48 or under I'll return to shopping there because they're closer than Best Buy. If I have to pay them $30 like Best Buy for them to do that then I would.

Digital sales are increasing in the video game space. Online sales are also increasing. Gamestop just has it coming at them from three different ways. People who prefer to shop online, People that prefer to buy from PSN, eShop, and Xbox Live, and people who go with Amazon Prime and Best Buy and get 20% off new games. Ultimately these three fronts will erode their profits and turn them into losses.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Instead of focusing on the exploding gaming hardware market. They think securing $5 off a shytty preorder is the way to bank :snoop:

Suiken

What time it is?
Daps
Reppin
PH
12446218_1658274397756829_589722447_n.jpg

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
It's over. Everybody is using the Steam model now. It's all digital all the time. They should go the GMG route and give like 20-30% off new digital games. At least they can still eat a little off that.

Their whole model needs to change. GCU and Amazon Prime give you such a better deal. Evolve or die.

We need gamstop (for the casuals and the money they bring in for the developers), but their day in the sun is over.

Steam done changed the game (years ago....). Consoles finally are at the "steam" point. Physical copies are less and less desirable (though I still buy physical for all my console game purchases).

It is what it is :manny:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
It's over. Everybody is using the Steam model now. It's all digital all the time. They should go the GMG route and give like 20-30% off new digital games. At least they can still eat a little off that.

Their whole model needs to change. GCU and Amazon Prime give you such a better deal. Evolve or die.

We need gamstop (for the casuals and the money they bring in for the developers), but their day in the sun is over.

Steam done changed the game (years ago....). Consoles finally are at the "steam" point. Physical copies are less and less desirable (though I still buy physical for all my console game purchases).

It is what it is :manny:
@Big Boss ?

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
This has been in the cards for years. They need to offer much more competitive sales of physical media or they will collapse.

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
This
I use GCU but I also shop at Amazon cause Amazon carries a good selection if Vita games. No Prime but because I've been using Amazon so much lately I got an Amazon Credit Card. So, now I get a small bit back from things I was gonna buy anyway.
Yup i got both amazon/best buy cards plus prime/gamers club, so its bonuses ontop if saving on what I woulda got anyways. Ive bought 3 things from gamestop in 15 years, the switch, gamecube, and ps4....and maybe 1/2 used games at some point.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
They need to offer much more competitive sales of physical media or they will collapse.
They can't. The profit margins on retail games are pretty thin. Gamestop can't sell games at cost because they'll further hurt their earnings.

Apollo Kid

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Boom Bap Era
I like physical media so the only time i go to Gamestop is if a game is rare or out of print (used)

They had it coming though. They tried to sell me a used game as new about 15 years ago :hhh:

Maximus Rex

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Evils of Men
They're an outdated business model that screws ppl over. It makes it easy to hate them.

The last time I bought anything from GameStop was probably 3 years ago and that's because of the coli discount i got.

I went there last month
walked in paid for horizon zero dawn and walked out
I don't know what the hell yall talking about