It's crazy how 30+ years in, Nintendo is still widely and by far the best development House in the w

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
I own a switch.

Please explain this innovation you speak of
Well, I guess we'll skip the incredible innovations from the Nintendo DS and Wii and go straight to the Switch:

BOTW - open world Zelda, nothing I can say that hasn't been said on here 1,000 times. Completely reinvented the Zelda formula.
Mario Odyssey - Open world format, Cappy changed the focus to uses the various foes to explore levels with unique abilities.
Mario Maker 2 - Create your own Mario levels. First one was on the Wii U and thus flew under the radar.
Splatoon 2 - Completely unlike any first/third person shooter. First one was on Wii U and thus flew under the radar.
Pokemon Legends Arceus - Embraced open world game play, introduced new turn mechanics, allowed to catch Pokemon without battling
Nintendo Labo - No justification needed.
Astral Chain - Unique combat system and great puzzles. Brand new IP from Nintendo.
Cadence of Hyrule - Fighting to the beat of music

Beyond that, there are ton of Switch games developed by Nintendo that were great games even if they weren't incredibly innovative:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Smash Ultimate
FE Three Houses
Luigi's Mansion 3
AC: New Horizons
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Metroid Dread
Loz Link's Awakening
DKC Tropical Freeze (game's fukking hard)
Luigi's Mansion 3
Kirby Star Allies
Kirby & The Forgotten Land
Pikmin 3
Captain Toad.

Come on man..how are you going to say these are the same games over and over. Reserve that criticism for COD/Madden/2K.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Well, I guess we'll skip the incredible innovations from the Nintendo DS and Wii and go straight to the Switch:

BOTW - open world Zelda, nothing I can say that hasn't been said on here 1,000 times. Completely reinvented the Zelda formula.
Mario Odyssey - Open world format, Cappy changed the focus to uses the various foes to explore levels with unique abilities.
Mario Maker 2 - Create your own Mario levels. First one was on the Wii U and thus flew under the radar.
Splatoon 2 - Completely unlike any first/third person shooter. First one was on Wii U and thus flew under the radar.
Pokemon Legends Arceus - Embraced open world game play, introduced new turn mechanics, allowed to catch Pokemon without battling
Astral Chain - Unique combat system and great puzzles. Brand new IP from Nintendo.

Beyond that, there are ton of Switch games developed by Nintendo that were great games even if they weren't incredibly innovative:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Smash Ultimate
FE Three Houses
Luigi's Mansion 3
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Metroid Dread
Loz Link's Awakening
Luigi's Mansion 3
Kirby Star Allies
Pikmin 3
Captain Toad.

Come on man..how are you going to say these are the same games over and over. Reserve that criticism for COD/Madden/2K.

Ah, so Nintendo revolutionized gaming with a bunch of open world games:leon:. Mind blown.:mjgrin:

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I was a Nintendo Stan up until the Wii after that with the Wii it felt like they stopped trying to compete.

The N64 and Gamecube were good consoles that held their own the Wii was something different completely.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Says who though? It’s not like Mario is gonna be come out and be schindlers list, its gonna be a good animated movie, which is already seen as a lesser form of entertainment amongst movie snobs than anything else.

Spider verse is the best spider-man movie and it did a quarter of the sales of any of the recent trilogy movies. And Prestige TV is shytting on big movies these days.

When was the last time you heard peopel talk about a movie the same way they talked about Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad, Peak Mad Men, Severance, Better Call Saul, The Bear, Andor etc?

More people are watching tv then going to the movies
You're shifting the argument over to quality of the movie. I'm not saying it's going to be better than Spiderverse. Spiderverse is one of the best animated movies ever. That's a high bar to clear.

What I AM saying is that Mario is a Mickey Mouse-level icon and this film will print money, even if the film ends up being average. And that speaks to the decades of success Nintendo has as a brand. Microsoft and Sony's video game businesses don't bring that to the table. Coming from a guy who loves their games.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You're shifting the argument over to quality of the movie. I'm not saying it's going to be better than Spiderverse. Spiderverse is one of the best animated movies ever. That's a high bar to clear.

What I AM saying is that Mario is a Mickey Mouse-level icon and this film will print money, even if the film ends up being average. And that speaks to the decades of success Nintendo has as a brand. Microsoft and Sony's video game businesses don't bring that to the table. Coming from a guy who loves their games.

People thought the same thing about Detective Pikachu and its box office revenue isn’t that far from Uncharteds.

Mario being a huge gaming icon doesn’t necessarily translate to him being a major movie icon, unless of course, the movie is good.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
You just going to go off topic and start talking about something else that this thread isn't about because of....reasons?
It's completely related. Meach is arguing Nintendo makes "the same game over and over". I provided examples of Nintendo that were innovative, or at least weren't "the same game over and over" within their franchises (even though Meach restricted me to Nintendo's most recent console, skipping 20 years of massive innovations).

If the examples I provided don't disprove Meach's stance that Nintendo makes the same game over and over, it'd be great to see examples from you (or anyone) of how their competition evolves their flagship franchises in ways that Nintendo doesn't.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
People thought the same thing about Detective Pikachu and its box office revenue isn’t that far from Uncharteds.

Mario being a huge gaming icon doesn’t necessarily translate to him being a major movie icon, unless of course, the movie is good.
That's valid. I could end up being wrong, and this movie could land in the $400M range like Uncharted and Detective Pikachu. Guess we'll see.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

So they put open world stuff that other games have been doing into Zelda and you call that “innovation”:stopitslime:

Mario been putting on different hats since 1989 :stopitslime:
Been playing mario mods since 2002 :stopitslime:
Splatoon ain’t doing shyt new, other than being a shooter without guns.
shyt people have been begging for, for 20 years :mjlol:
Yeah, please don’t :huhldup:
Don’t know :manny:
Done before

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Smash Ultimate
FE Three Houses
Luigi's Mansion 3
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Metroid Dread
Loz Link's Awakening
Luigi's Mansion 3
Kirby Star Allies
Pikmin 3
Captain Toad.

None of what you said is actually innovative.

They make good games and do a good job supporting their franchises. But none of that shyt is new:stopitslime:

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:martin:
So they put open world stuff that other games have been doing into Zelda and you call that “innovation”:stopitslime:

Mario been putting on different hats since 1989 :stopitslime:

Been playing mario mods since 2002 :stopitslime:

Splatoon ain’t doing shyt new, other than being a shooter without guns.

shyt people have been begging for, for 20 years :mjlol:

Yeah, please don’t :huhldup:

Don’t know :manny:

Done before

None of what you said is actually innovative.

They make good games and do a good job supporting their franchises. But none of that shyt is new:stopitslime:
These are weak counterarguments. You argued Nintendo makes the same games over and over. I provided example of games on the Switch that either massively changed core mechanics of that respective franchise, or were new franchises all together. You're trolling because you know I'm right. Especially if we actually talk about innovations across "all time" as OP argued in the beginning of the thread.

You and I both own the Series X. You know as well as I do that Microsoft is far more guilty of "releasing the same game over and over" than Nintendo. All the recent Halo, Forza, Gears of War releases etc are way less innovative than the titles I listed. If you're gonna stan for Microsoft, at least be consistent in this newly announced desire for innovation you have.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
My man listed fukking Arceus as an example of "innovation".

I don’t even want to hear about a gamefreak game ever again until they get voice acting. Talking about some innovation :scusthov:

Work on bringing the games up to par with stuff released within the past decade and we’ll talk, and that goes for a number of nintendo titles.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My man listed fukking Arceus as an example of "innovation".
Within the context of the Pokemon franchise, it was innovative. That's not a high bar to clear for what's arguably Nintendo's stalest franchise, but it disproves Meach's claim that Nintendo titles are "the same games over and over".

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Within the context of the Pokemon franchise, it was innovative. That's not a high bar to clear for what's arguably Nintendo's stalest franchise, but it disproves Meach's claim that Nintendo titles are "the same games over and over".

I mean thats such a low bar already. Gamefreak modernizing their games is not innovative, its like the exact opposite they are playing catch up.

I bet in 10 years they’ll actually introduce some accessibility features into their games