It's crazy how 30+ years in, Nintendo is still widely and by far the best development House in the w

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It’s what give him his different “powers” and/or move set.

Mario has had powerups and different move sets since SMB in 1984
It’s a platformer. They do enough work every iteration to change the core mechanics to differentiate them.

It’s like you saying Halo has never changed cause it’s a guy running around with a gun shooting stuff and it’s been that since 2001.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
to MS' credit theyve copied nintendo the least. barely at all actually, for better or worse
The Kinect a derivative of Nintendo motion controls derailed the Xbox brand and damaged it so bad to this day it has yet to recover and in all honesty most likely never will get back to where it was.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It’s a platformer. They do enough work every iteration to change the core mechanics to differentiate them.

It’s like you saying Halo has never changed cause it’s a guy running around with a gun shooting stuff and it’s been that since 2001.
What i’m saying is that all of the games are pretty iterate what they have been over time.

For some reason mario is “innovative” for getting new hats, But something like Forza Horizon gets called “more of the same”
l

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All these controller/hardware gimmicks were just that gimmicks that nintendo don’t even fukk with anymore.

Classic nintendo games are ruined for the future due to all nintendos “innovation”

For example the galaxy remake sucked on switch cause you don’t have those dumb ass waggle controllers anymore.

I’ll give you that nintendos thing is finding a new gimick for each hardware release.

If you want to call that “innovation” i guess i’ll let you have that :manny:

Software tho? naw. Nintendo is the safest of the big 3
It's gaming nothing wrong with gimmicks, most the time the gimmicks turn into full fledge features. Take for instance the thumb stick and rumble pack on the n64. A year later sony dropped the dual analog and then dual shock.

I wouldn't say classic nintendo games are ruined for future gen, its just one of things where you had to be there at the time to really experience and get that love for it. For instance metal gear solid or Dreamcast with the VMU memory cards.

Playing Sonic adventure and then raising my chao or playing the game on the vmu and then importing it back into the game. Or seaman talking into the mic and having the weird fishman talk back to you. Playing metal gear and having a character tell me traits about myself and games I've played and wondering how the game knows and flipping out, or have to switch controller ports.

All those things wouldn't really have a impact like they did now but they all contributed to where gaming is now, Talking into the Dual sense PS5 controller, reading your save files to transfer over or give you items when you start a game... etc etc

Now if you talking about pushing High end software and graphics or adapting to how the internet has taken over, then yeah nintendo is not innovated at all. They are SO far behind that its almost laughable.

Friend codes
Terrible online
a weird sb service were you can only play the oldest of oldest games that they release 2 or 3 for every few months.
It's just not good, fortunately I don't use my switch for anything online and I avoid it at all cost, it's just not enjoyable or good, it's just barely serviceable.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The Kinect a derivative of Nintendo motion controls derailed the Xbox brand and damaged it so bad to this day it has yet to recover and in all honesty most likely never will get back to where it was.
Fear mongering of MS watching everything and listening to everything you do killed the kinect. That's really it, the xbox 1 lit a fire under up the and coming social media boomer kids with there is a console for you and that narrative ain't left yet. It's a permanent black eye. In 2023 though we have our phones listening to us 24/47, they track as we actually agree to TOS that state they can take control of the camera and that they own all items that are run through said app. App's tracking your girls period, that take your health and Vitals and apps that store all your passwords and private info...

But hey, at the time, "Kinect might be on and listening to me in my living room or bedroom" meanwhile we asking "Hey Alexa/Siri/Bixby/google what is my bank account balance"

Man! The kinect had so much potential, I have some of my best memories on the xb1 playing some silly connect games as well as dance central with friends.:mjcry:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Fear mongering of MS watching everything and listening to everything you do killed the kinect. That's really it, the xbox 1 lit a fire under up the and coming social media boomer kids with there is a console for you and that narrative ain't left yet. It's a permanent black eye. In 2023 though we have our phones listening to us 24/47, they track as we actually agree to TOS that state they can take control of the camera and that they own all items that are run through said app. App's tracking your girls period, that take your health and Vitals and apps that store all your passwords and private info...

But hey, at the time, "Kinect might be on and listening to me in my living room or bedroom" meanwhile we asking "Hey Alexa/Siri/Bixby/google what is my bank account balance"

Man! The kinect had so much potential, I have some of my best memories on the xb1 playing some silly connect games as well as dance central with friends.:mjcry:
Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa say otherwise. Kinect only really lent itself to dumbed down party style super casual games. Forcing it on everyone for almost $100 more to the price was the movie that crushed them.

Kinect is like VR. There's a sector of the market that will appreciate it but the majority won't be interested any time soon if at all. VR is one thing Microsoft got right in the console space. It really ain't worth bothering with as it's too expensive and tedious for mass market appeal. Makes me wonder why Sony keeps pressing for it to the point of putting out a VR headset that cost more than their console.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa say otherwise. Kinect only really lent itself to dumbed down party style super casual games. Forcing it on everyone for almost $100 more to the price was the movie that crushed them.

Kinect is like VR. There's a sector of the market that will appreciate it but the majority won't be interested any time soon if at all. VR is one thing Microsoft got right in the console space. It really ain't worth bothering with as it's too expensive and tedious for mass market appeal. Makes me wonder why Sony keeps pressing for it to the point of putting out a VR headset that cost more than their console.
If the reception to the xbox1 would have been as positive as they hoped by the fans, the kinect would be a staple on xboxs. Even if it was built in or sold separately.

Remember originally the kinect was received really really well. So bundling it in and making it a part of the console family made sense... but The blunder of the xbox 1 pre promotions killed everything., the price aside people just didn't like the idea of MS potentially spying on them, They were reminded that "Oh yeah this is MS, they are evil" after DRM, always online, the kinect being something you HAD to buy... Basically people where like yeah they are bad and sony leaded into that. Look at MS making you pay 100 for something you don't want nor will ever use and check in online. "This is how we share games" This was the time when internet word of mouth on electronics was absolute law. But none of them actually understood why nor did they care. It just wasn't a good look.

I was doing gamestop work part time around then and the amount of people that would return or open up the xbox and say "I don't want this" was way more than it should have been.

The kinect was a blast for those "dumb downed games" as you call them. It also was great for turning your system and tv on without a remote. It worked as a huge microphone and of course camera, and some games used it really neat and well.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
basically what i said. barely. for better or worse

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
If the reception to the xbox1 would have been as positive as they hoped by the fans, the kinect would be a staple on xboxs. Even if it was built in or sold separately.

Remember originally the kinect was received really really well. So bundling it in and making it a part of the console family made sense... but The blunder of the xbox 1 pre promotions killed everything., the price aside people just didn't like the idea of MS potentially spying on them, They were reminded that "Oh yeah this is MS, they are evil" after DRM, always online, the kinect being something you HAD to buy... Basically people where like yeah they are bad and sony leaded into that. Look at MS making you pay 100 for something you don't want nor will ever use and check in online. "This is how we share games" This was the time when internet word of mouth on electronics was absolute law. But none of them actually understood why nor did they care. It just wasn't a good look.

I was doing gamestop work part time around then and the amount of people that would return or open up the xbox and say "I don't want this" was way more than it should have been.

The kinect was a blast for those "dumb downed games" as you call them. It also was great for turning your system and tv on without a remote. It worked as a huge microphone and of course camera, and some games used it really neat and well.
Yeah but the original Kinect was an add-on. Of course the people that liked it responded to it. Much of the install base did not want it though. I get they wanted the masses to play it but they bet their brand on that and destroyed a massive amount of brand goodwill just on Kinect. The Xbox One if it was the same price as the PS4 could have done much better in those early days and probably overall. I strongly believe if Kinect was optional and there was price parity out of the gate Microsoft would be in a better position now than they are.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yeah but the original Kinect was an add-on. Of course the people that liked it responded to it. Much of the install base did not want it though. I get they wanted the masses to play it but they bet their brand on that and destroyed a massive amount of brand goodwill just on Kinect. The Xbox One if it was the same price as the PS4 could have done much better in those early days and probably overall. I strongly believe if Kinect was optional and there was price parity out of the gate Microsoft would be in a better position now than they are.
Microsoft tried to address the one problem that kills all video game peripherals by packaging the kinect with the system.

It ended up being a bad decision. But it’s the only way a gimick/peripheral will work.

Sony is ramping up to launch their second failed VR system. No one will invest big money in software for a device with such small reach.

Even tho it didn’t work out Microsoft should get credit for Kinect.

Kinect walked so PSVR could run, but at every turn y’all pretend microsoft is just some terrible uninventive company.:smh: