It's about to be 2021, can we all agree Jay is the greatest?

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Nas Better

Be delusional, brehs :mjlol:

Btw A-Boogie thinks Jay Z is the G.O.A.T. and my examples are better and all from 2020

Lupita :camby: :mjlol:

Nas is a G.O.A.T. one of my favorites ever, Jay is ahead of him at this point.

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
One of the greatest. There are rappers I enjoy more.

I'm not a fan of most of the shyt he's put out over the last 15 years. It's like he tries too hard to appeal to different audiences. Every few years he switches up, and to me it doesn't seem creative - we already know he's talented - it just seems like he's pandering.

erker

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Netherlands
Be delusional, brehs :mjlol:

Btw A-Boogie thinks Jay Z is the G.O.A.T. and my examples are better and all from 2020

Lupita :camby: :mjlol:

Nas is a G.O.A.T. one of my favorites ever, Jay is ahead of him at this point.

G.O.A.T stands for greatest of all time. That means 1, there's no "one of the G.O.A.T.'s". Nas is it though.

Stick Up Kid

Veteran
WOAT
Daps
Reppin
Newark NJ
I think Jay benefits from being super rich, famous and the status he has with marrying the biggest superstar in a generation. Beyonce.

If you put the "he's a boss" "he got the hottest chick in the game" "he's a billionaire" stuff to the side, and just focus on the music. Jay Z is around 4 or 5.:yeshrug:

1. Pac
2. Nas
3. BIG
4. Rakim
5. Jay Z.

Slim Charles

All Star
Daps
Jay one of the greatest. top 5 for me but fundamentally he can’t be the greatest of all time because his music doesn’t carry at least for me that depth of emotion and poetry needed to be the greatest. You can take the whole sports approach of popularity, success, longevity, consistency but this is art not sports

Rapping is poetry. His music even when he does his more reflective stuff still feels somewhat hollow compared to others. He’s not pouring his soul out into the song like a Pac or Nas or writing in poetic ways like them

if someone wants to judge a GOAT in music like it’s sports then fine Jay can be the GOaT but music and hip hop is art.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Jay one of the greatest. top 5 for me but fundamentally he can’t be the greatest of all time because his music doesn’t carry at least for me that depth of emotion and poetry needed to be the greatest. You can take the whole sports approach of popularity, success, longevity, consistency but this is art not sports

Rapping is poetry. His music even when he does his more reflective stuff still feels somewhat hollow compared to others. He’s not pouring his soul out into the song like a Pac or Nas or writing in poetic ways like them

if someone wants to judge a GOAT in music like it’s sports then fine Jay can be the GOaT but music and hip hop is art.
This isn’t true though Jay uses as many lyrical devices as anyone he’s simply a different type of writer from Nas and Pac. For starters they both used more multi syllable rhyme schemes while Jay is more of a witty lyricist that uses entendres and punchlines.

Jay also has too many tracks where he pour his heart out.

Slim Charles

All Star
Daps
This isn’t true though Jay uses as many lyrical devices as anyone he’s simply a different type of writer from Nas and Pac. For starters they both used more multi syllable rhyme schemes while Jay is more of a witty lyricist that uses entendres and punchlines.

Jay also has too many tracks where he pour his heart out.

I respect that. Like I say I have Jay top 3 and agree he has incredibly poetic/ reflective/ emotional songs but just for me relative to others it doesn’t hit the same highs. But that’s beauty of music it’s subjective

my point is more we need to stop deciding GOATs like it’s a sport in hip hop.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
If there's a G.O.A.T. it's Jay-Z. He checks off all the boxes the skill, longevity, influence, classics, sales. I know who ever your G.O.A.T. isn't getting the treatment in 2020 that Jay-Z is and that's telling.

Sometimes people have to be objective.
Objectively it’s Pac. If we talking all time.