It's about to be 2021, can we all agree Jay is the greatest?

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Illmatic was classic the day it dropped. It didn't sale because of bootleg and because they were no radio hit.

Reasonable doubt only grew in rep because of jay's career. Jay was in indépendant artist but no marketed as such. He had fukkin Mary j Blige and biggie on it. shyt compare jay's video to nas' illmatic videos. He had way more budget.

Scarface was a instant classic hood/popular movie
Yeah it was a big deal in NY a lot of people in other places never heard it they heard IWW first it didn't sell well and took 8 years to go Plat there's posters here from other regions that shyt on it and say its overrated NY shyt and East Coast bias real tired discussions I think Nas himself will tell you it was a slow burn. U can pull out old ass internet archives and it was old heads on the first internet forums saying he not the second coming and shyt like that

Scarface flopped critically and commercially it was a cult film that's legacy grew over time call it a "hood movie" whatever today that shyt is a classic movie the own director will tell you this

There's a lot of classic shyt that's legacy grew over time whether its musical albums, books, movies

Last edited:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
this is da second time you brought up nas when replying to me
i never mentioned nas once in either of my posts
escobar is on your mind:umad:

music quality has nothin to do with his how much money you have, who you are married to, or what record label you are running.

jay-z fooled a lot of you into thinking otherwise:yeshrug:
Just telling you what it is if you smart you never go backwards and you never stay in the past you can't be afraid to take risks

U grow and move with the times and u continually reinvent yourself and that's what Hov does there's nothing wrong with it

Nas is smart so he knew to work with the new gen. His dusty stans wanted Premo he went with Hit-Boy. His dusty stans don't approve of new school he threw on Fivio Foreign and Lil Durk.

Hov latest work was all well received you the one saying it's because Beyonce and because he a businessman. :mjlol:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
It's still his first body of work he's not outselling more established artists and he made those connections. Big was his man he went to high school with AZ. shyt is all Brooklyn ties. I know he moved like he was on a major but he was still really independent.

Nikkas believed in him Big said Jay was better than him :damn:
Fam. nikkas knew Jay. Most just really didn’t give a fukk bro. It is what it is. Lol

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Man. Jay is the man now. But nikkas need to STOP rewriting history for this nikka it annoys me more when I see people who wasn’t even around try to tell YOU, someone who copped the shyt in real time. What was what. Lol. I feel like for years the lies and history rewriting has been insulting my intelligence when it comes to a few people. Jay included. Jay wasn’t THAT nikka until Vol 2. He was just considered another dope emcee before then.

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man. Jay is the man now. But nikkas need to STOP rewriting history for this nikka it annoys me more when I see people who wasn’t even around try to tell YOU, someone who copped the shyt in real time. What was what. Lol. I feel like for years the lies and history rewriting has been insulting my intelligence when it comes to a few people. Jay included. Jay wasn’t THAT nikka until Vol 2. He was just considered another dope emcee before then.
AZ was more popular than jay-z until 1998

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Fam. nikkas knew Jay. Most just really didn’t give a fukk bro. It is what it is. Lol
U was there so I ain't gon debate with you all ima ask is

How did nobody give a fukk when he sold 420,000 copies within the year, had all these co-signs and connections, had all these great reviews, I even heard ppl that was around back then say it was one of hottest albums outside in that year in NY and there's people that swear by the album

Nikkas knew Jay? Or did only NY nikkas really know Jay was any of your fam down South up on him? How about West Coast? He didn't even have no non-NY artists on it

It jumpstarted his career how you think he even set the groundwork up to Vol. 2?

'96 was a dope ass year there was a lot of dope ass shyt Jay drops his debut amidst a lot of dope shyt he was new why we shocked other nikkas shyt sold more or you may have liked another rapper shyt more?

Anyway I ain't even wanna get into this discussion because it's pointless RD is a classic today that's all that matters it ain't '96 no more RD is only gonna get older and more revered as time goes on it's a lot of shyt movies, albums, books, pieces of art that over time got that classic status shyt that was overlooked, people that was overlooked that got that legend tag

We talking about a lot of shyt but the quality too. RD aged a lot better than a lot of shyt back then, his lyrics aged well, his conversational flow aged well, and that album sample selections and polished sound will almost never make it sound dated it's timeless

Last edited:

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
ESPN was using Nas album all throughout the NBA playoffs i seen people fukking with it i dont see how you can say it had the same impact as Jay Elect's shyt which absolutely no one cared about except for nikkas on the net. Hov should've put his name on the album

with that said Hov is the closest thing to MJ in the rap game, he embodies what a "GOAT" is when you look at Hip Hops history.... this has always been obvious

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Yea I’ve felt this way for prolly five years now at least. He checks all the boxes. Dope lyricist, great catalog, versatile subject matter, has songs for every occasion, consistency, dope features, business acumen. What more could anybody really want?

:childplease:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
ESPN was using Nas album all throughout the NBA playoffs i seen people fukking with it i dont see how you can say it had the same impact as Jay Elect's shyt which absolutely no one cared about except for nikkas on the net. Hov should've put his name on the album

with that said Hov is the closest thing to MJ in the rap game, he embodies what a "GOAT" is when you look at Hip Hops history.... this has always been obvious
That's because ESPN has a business partnership with Nas the same shyt people hate Hov for :snoop:

Objectively both the Jay Electronica and Nas albums came and went they did cool first week and that's that. I think they both really good but this is just a different era. I do agree that Jay should have put his name on it and that shyt had no business taking 10 years to drop, nobody really cares about Jay Electronica anymore.

NYtymes

All Star
Daps
Yes, theres not a rapper alive (aside from Escobar) that can be mentioned in the same sentence