It's about to be 2021, can we all agree Jay is the greatest?

Peter Parker

Superstar
Daps
Real talk, I didnt understand the Jay is the greatest talks at all until about 2 months ago

For some reason I zoned out and listened to like his whole discog 3-4 times over the course of a week and my mind was blown

He definitely has some stinkers but when you really listen to what he's saying :wow: very very clever shyt that goes over your head the first few times you hear it.

• Dap
Reactions: ISO
Daps
50 been out for 20 years. He was hotter than Jay in 2003? What happened? Why didn't he sell 50M?

Outside of Pac and B.I.G. that died early everyone else been around? They still drop music. What happened?

So once again you’re trying to sell me on a slow & steady argument...which is great!

3b8031f1-d0be-418f-8c96-bc1d3b403f1e-AP_Ripken_2131_Anniversary_Baseball.jpg

Drake, who has outsold Jay, is still around
Wayne, who has outsold Jay, is still around
Ye, who has outsold Jay, is still around

And yes you are also right

Ja, who outsold Jay, is no longer around
50, who outsold Jay, is no longer around
Nelly, who outsold Jay, is no longer around

What does any of this have to do with anything? If you were to say that 4-5 of those 25 years he actually dominated rap (critically & commercially top dog) then you’d have an argument but until you can provide anything past the money he’s made & his association with Beyonce giving him extra mileage...:yeshrug:

Daps
this isnt true
ready to die was a classic when it came out
illmatic was a classic when it came out
chronic
doggy style
etc

and shyt, blueprint was a classic when it came out. a natural classic. jay forced reasonable doubt down his fans throats threw interviews and lyrics after he sold 5 mil and ppl were following his every word lol.

:russ:

Jordan>>LeFrozen

It was written in the Bible
Daps
Reppin
NYC
So once again you’re trying to sell me on a slow & steady argument...which is great!

3b8031f1-d0be-418f-8c96-bc1d3b403f1e-AP_Ripken_2131_Anniversary_Baseball.jpg

Drake, who has outsold Jay, is still around
Wayne, who has outsold Jay, is still around
Ye, who has outsold Jay, is still around

And yes you are also right

Ja, who outsold Jay, is no longer around
50, who outsold Jay, is no longer around
Nelly, who outsold Jay, is no longer around

What does any of this have to do with anything? If you were to say that 4-5 of those 25 years he actually dominated rap (critically & commercially top dog) then you’d have an argument but until you can provide anything past the money he’s made & his association with Beyonce giving him extra mileage...:yeshrug:
Ain’t Jay like the 3rd or 4th best selling rapper?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Yeah it is. 117M views, and several remakes from the likes of NBA, Pusha T, Lil Wayne, Mysonne, and others. And this was a concept content record not some blatant club record that typically dominates the chart and accumulates views. It actually got people talking. Yeah, it has been one of the biggest records of the last 5 years.
It was a moderately successful song that had a nice buzz off the subject matter and video.
By comparison, Humble was one of the biggest songs of 2017. Bad and Boujee. Bodak Yellow. Story of OJ wasnt even in the top 50 for that year. If you want to talk “biggest”. If you want to talk “impactful” well that’s more subjective so I’ll maybe give you it was in the top ten most impactful songs for 2017, but the last five years?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
What's the point of that question? In that 5 year stretch he was one of the biggest rappers. Whenever he hopped on a feature people talked about it. When he dropped his solo album he had the fourth highest selling debut week. So what are you really saying?
I think it’s very clear what I’m saying :russ:
The last five years he’s been the least relevant of any time in his career (starting with 96, we’re not going back to Hawaiian Sophie :lolbron:). This is a fact. This isn’t controversial in the least. The only question is why won’t you admit that? :francis:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Irrelevant again. Classics aren't about real time they're about years down the line.
I don’t know why you’re ducking this point. RD had a very minimal impact when it was initially released. That’s a fact. Doesn’t mean it’s not a classic now.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
RD didn't move a million copies because it was a debut independent release.
He was on Priority and the album was promoted by a single on the Nutty Professor soundtrack being pushed by Def Jam. With Biggie, all up in the video.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I think it’s very clear what I’m saying :russ:
The last five years he’s been the least relevant of any time in his career (starting with 96, we’re not going back to Hawaiian Sophie :lolbron:). This is a fact. This isn’t controversial in the least. The only question is why won’t you admit that? :francis:
That's irrelevant.

Who the fukk cares? He's still HUGE. :laff: