It's about to be 2021, can we all agree Jay is the greatest?

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Story of OJ was one of the most impactful songs of the past five years?
giphy.gif

How am i riding for Nas? Have I even posted about Nas in this thread?

Just answer this question. If 2015-2020 wasn’t the five year period he was least relevant? What other five year period going back to 96 was he less relevant?

I think RD is a classic and I bought it on tape the same day I bought Illmatic. July 2, 1996. But I can’t think of another classic that is held as high as RD now, that had less of an impact in real time.
Yeah it is. 117M views, and several remakes from the likes of NBA, Pusha T, Lil Wayne, Mysonne, and others. And this was a concept content record not some blatant club record that typically dominates the chart and accumulates views. It actually got people talking. Yeah, it has been one of the biggest records of the last 5 years.

What's the point of that question? In that 5 year stretch he was one of the biggest rappers. Whenever he hopped on a feature people talked about it. When he dropped his solo album he had the fourth highest selling debut week. So what are you really saying?

Irrelevant again. Classics aren't about real time they're about years down the line.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
once jayz bullied his fans into making reasonable a classic album in the late 90s/early 2000s when no one thought it was when it came out, i knew his fans were just gonna follow whatever he says lol.

jay-z is probably the greatest ever at marketing, but if we talkin strictly music( not his wife, not his business ventures, not his brand) he definitely isnt the greatest anything lol

you can make an arugument for top 5, i see zero argument for number 1.
Any rapper anyone likes it's beyond music. It's a reason music labels exist to market artist.

A classic album isn't made in real time. It's made over time Jay didn't bully shyt. RD didn't move a million copies because it was a debut independent release. Over time it appreaciated in value which is why so many artists today sample off it, flip it's title, or say they were influenced by it. That's what makes the album a classic not what you felt about it in 1996. How can an album be called a classic when it just came out.

Daps
Who cares?

You don’t because it does nothing for your argument that Jigga was dominating coast to coast in his prime

:russ:

It was NEVER like that. You’re bending your argument for convenience. 9/11 was a logistics issue in one city in one particular area. The outer boroughs were business as usual. There was the next week & many others so unless you’re telling me half of Def Jam’s stock was located at J&R downtown then knock it off :russ:

Say Jay was the slow & steady horse
Say Jay ended up being the most successful

Don’t try to beat us over the head with that flimsy bullshyt like nikkax wasn’t around

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
You don’t because it does nothing for your argument that Jigga was dominating coast to coast in his prime
But he was. He was one of the top sellers every year he dropped. He sold 50M records. :mjlol:

Because he wasn't 50 Cent in 2003 or 2Pac in 1996 or Lil Wayne in 2008 doesn't mean a damn thing. Nikkas had a hot year he had a hot decade.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
Story of OJ was one of the most impactful songs of the past five years?
giphy.gif

How am i riding for Nas? Have I even posted about Nas in this thread?

Just answer this question. If 2015-2020 wasn’t the five year period he was least relevant? What other five year period going back to 96 was he less relevant?

I think RD is a classic and I bought it on tape the same day I bought Illmatic. July 2, 1996. But I can’t think of another classic that is held as high as RD now, that had less of an impact in real time.
He released one solo album in that 5 years. But was on many songs that went gold & platinum. So I don’t get your point.

Daps
RD didn't move a million copies because it was a debut independent release.

Now your interjecting your 2 cents on why people didn’t buy an album with FOUR SINGLES that was all over BET/MTV including one featured in a major Eddie Murphy movie :mjlol:

What happened to objectivity? Lmaoooooo

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
He’s been out 25 years :gucci:
50 been out for 20 years. He was hotter than Jay in 2003? What happened? Why didn't he sell 50M?

Outside of Pac and B.I.G. that died early everyone else been around? They still drop music. What happened?

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Any rapper anyone likes it's beyond music. It's a reason music labels exist to market artist.

A classic album isn't made in real time. It's made over time Jay didn't bully shyt. RD didn't move a million copies because it was a debut independent release. Over time it appreaciated in value which is why so many artists today sample off it, flip it's title, or say they were influenced by it. That's what makes the album a classic not what you felt about it in 1996. How can an album be called a classic when it just came out.
this isnt true
ready to die was a classic when it came out
illmatic was a classic when it came out
chronic
doggy style
etc

and shyt, blueprint was a classic when it came out. a natural classic. jay forced reasonable doubt down his fans throats threw interviews and lyrics after he sold 5 mil and ppl were following his every word lol.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Now your interjecting your 2 cents on why people didn’t buy an album with FOUR SINGLES that was all over BET/MTV including one featured in a major Eddie Murphy movie :mjlol:

What happened to objectivity? Lmaoooooo
It was still an independently marketed release. For what it was selling 420,000 copies in it's first year and having a Gold single was a huge success which is why Jay was able to succeed the way he did in the industry he had leverage. :mjlol:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
this isnt true
ready to die was a classic when it came out
illmatic was a classic when it came out
chronic
doggy style
etc

and shyt, blueprint was a classic when it came out. a natural classic. jay forced reasonable doubt down his fans throats threw interviews and lyrics after he sold 5 mil and ppl were following his every word lol.
No, those was hot albums.

Search up what the word classic means :mjlol:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
:gucci:
those were ground breaking culture changing albums

jiggaman got u guys brainwashed:scust:
That's how we see them today when they dropped they were hot albums they went on to be influential and now today we see them as classics. An album can't drop tomorrow and be called a classic the next day.

No wonder you got Nas stans in here saying King's Disease is a classic :scust: