It's about to be 2021, can we all agree Jay is the greatest?

Daps
Nas had a greater peak
Pac, 50 & X showed more dominance in a given period

Jay outlasted them all however so if there was Carl Ripken award to give then sure

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Less relevant in what ways? He's 51, you're not going to have the Hov from his prime dropping every year. He's still highly relevant whatever he does make news, people wear his Paper Planes apparel like if it was Rocawear, the reason that Jay Electronica album did what he did was because Hov was beside him on most of the tracks, when he killed What's Free on Meek album it was discussed as one of the verses of the year, when he hopped on I Got The Keys with Future on Khaled album it went Platinum, when he got on Pusha's Drug Dealers Anonymous it was discussed as one of verses of the year. The Jay feature is still a big deal it's a show stopper. His last album did 262,000 copies first week, it was a Tidal exclusive during that first week, it still debut at number one and went Platinum. It's no rapper that has been on this level for this long and that people still cared about at 50. It's just a fact.

U talking about opinions? How some one going to sit here and say Jay has zero classics. Those are opinions not objective facts. The impact that Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint had on the culture make them 100% objective classics.
He hasn’t been on a big single in seven years. His singles in general don’t connect like they used to.
His albums don’t sell like they used to.

less relevant in those ways.

I don’t think you want to have the reasonable doubt impact conversation.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Nas had a greater peak
Pac, 50 & X showed more dominance in a given period

Jay outlasted them all however so if there was Carl Ripken award to give then sure
Jay is no Cal Ripken.

He’s Willie Mays or Hank Aaron a 25x All-Star, a true G.O.A.T. :umad:

:camby:

Last edited:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
He hasn’t been on a big single in seven years. His singles in general don’t connect like they used to.
His albums don’t sell like they used to.

less relevant in those ways.

I don’t think you want to have the reasonable doubt impact conversation.
I just told you he was on Story of O.J. which has been one of the most impactful songs of the last 5 years :mjlol:

You're riding for Nas and want to talk about songs and album sales? Why would you even go there?

His commercial success as a 50 year old rapper has never been seen.

U don't want to have the Reasonable Doubt impact conversation. You're gonna come with the same cliched takes instead of looking at what a true classic is, album that appreciates over time, something that is seen over time to be of the highest standards, so no I don't want to hear about what happened in 1996, shyt is irrelevant.

Instead you should look at all of the songs off Reasonable Doubt that have been flipped in modern day and go listen to Skyzoo's Ode to Reasonable Doubt, Benny's Burden of Proof, or Stove God Cooks Reasonable Drought, I know you like the underground nikkas. :lolbron:

Maybe in 2006, you should have went to Jay's sold out orchestra concert in Radio City Music Hall and seen the lasting impact of the album instead of talking to me about but in '96 me and my nikkas played Redman album more :bryan:

Daps
Jay is no Cal Ripken.

He’s Willie Mays or Hank Aaron a 25x All-Star.

:camby:

Jay-Z doesn’t have one single year where you look back and say he was head & shoulders above the rest...isn’t that crazy?

Maybe 04 was the closest 01 certainly had the makings but...every other year somebody else can probably put together a pretty convincing argument for themselves

His albums didn’t sell like some of the others
His 1st weeks weren’t like some of the others

He was slow & steady...nothing wrong with that

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jay-Z doesn’t have one single year where you look back and say he was head & shoulders above the rest...isn’t that crazy?

Maybe 04 was the closest 01 certainly had the makings but...every other year somebody else can probably put together a pretty convincing argument for themselves

Some would say Nas was slow steady. What do you think?

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC

Maybe 04 was the closest...every other year somebody else can probably put together a pretty convincing argument for themselves

Who cares?

If Blueprint didn't drop on 9/11 he probably would have the highest selling album of the year. We already know it was the album of the year.

If he didn't sell the most he was right there near the top. That's the thing he checks off the most boxes. Nas didn't have his commercial success. Pac and B.I.G. didn't have his longevity. Nobody has been this good, this consistent, and been here for this long, while being this influential.

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
once jayz bullied his fans into making reasonable a classic album in the late 90s/early 2000s when no one thought it was when it came out, i knew his fans were just gonna follow whatever he says lol.

jay-z is probably the greatest ever at marketing, but if we talkin strictly music( not his wife, not his business ventures, not his brand) he definitely isnt the greatest anything lol

you can make an arugument for top 5, i see zero argument for number 1.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Jay & Bron get people in their feelings like no other:pachaha:

it makes them sick to their stomach

just ignore their praise and y’all lives will be infinitely better :blessed:
They can't understand that they never fell off :lolbron:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I just told you he was on Story of O.J. which has been one of the most impactful songs of the last 5 years :mjlol:

You're riding for Nas and want to talk about songs and album sales? Why would you even go there?

His commercial success as a 50 year old rapper has never been seen.

U don't want to have the Reasonable Doubt impact conversation. You're gonna come with the same cliched takes instead of looking at what a true classic is, album that appreciates over time, something that is seen over time to be of the highest standards, so no I don't want to hear about what happened in 1996, shyt is irrelevant.

Instead you should look at all of the songs off Reasonable Doubt that have been flipped in modern day and go listen to Skyzoo's Ode to Reasonable Doubt, Benny's Burden of Proof, or Stove God Cooks Reasonable Drought, I know you like the underground nikkas. :lolbron:

Maybe in 2006, you should have went to Jay's sold out orchestra concert in Radio City Music Hall and seen the lasting impact of the album instead of talking to me about but in '96 me and my nikkas played Redman album more :bryan:
Story of OJ was one of the most impactful songs of the past five years?
giphy.gif

How am i riding for Nas? Have I even posted about Nas in this thread?

Just answer this question. If 2015-2020 wasn’t the five year period he was least relevant? What other five year period going back to 96 was he less relevant?

I think RD is a classic and I bought it on tape the same day I bought Illmatic. July 2, 1996. But I can’t think of another classic that is held as high as RD now, that had less of an impact in real time.