It's about to be 2021, can we all agree Jay is the greatest?

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Most of these are subjective.
Nah.

Longevity. From 1996-2020 and still one of the biggest rappers at 50. No rapper has been at this pedestal for 25 years.

Lyricism. An undeniable lyricist and master of wordplay.

Flow. One of the best flows ever can rap slow and cap rap fast and has found the pocket in the ugliest of beats.

Tour revenue. One of the most successful touring acts bar none and has been apart of some of the most legendary tours.

Influence/impact. His finger prints are all over the game just check OP.

Classic albums. Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint for sure arguably Watch The Throne, Vol. 2, 4:44, The Black Album as well.

Classic songs. He has at least 50 or more.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Nah.

Longevity. From 1996-2020 and still one of the biggest rappers at 50. No rapper has been at this pedestal for 25 years.

Lyricism. An undeniable lyricist and master of wordplay.

Flow. One of the best flows ever can rap slow and cap rap fast and has found the pocket in the ugliest of beats.

Tour revenue. One of the most successful touring acts bar none and has been apart of some of the most legendary tours.

Influence/impact. His finger prints are all over the game just check OP.

Classic albums. Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint for sure arguably Watch The Throne, Vol. 2, 4:44, The Black Album as well.

Classic songs. He has at least 50 or more.
For longevity, we would have to agree on criteria for relevance. some would say music quality. Some would say hits. Sales. I’ve heard the argument that Nas has been irrelevant since 2003. How does that factor into his longevity?

Lyricism and Flow are somewhat subjective. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

tour revenue is objective, but then people can argue was it a joint tour, etc. so it could be subjective as well.

Everything else is clearly somewhat subjective. It’s a fact that Jay has classic albums and singles. How many is where it gets subjective.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
@ISO
What was Jay’s last big hit?
The Story of OJ, it has 116M views, peaked at number 23 on the charts, certified Gold, inspired several remakes, and when it dropped every one was talking about it, probably one of the best music videos of the decade as well.

Nas hasn’t had a record on this level since 2002. That was 18 years ago.

Last edited:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
For longevity, we would have to agree on criteria for relevance. some would say music quality. Some would say hits. Sales. I’ve heard the argument that Nas has been irrelevant since 2003. How does that factor into his longevity?

Lyricism and Flow are somewhat subjective. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

tour revenue is objective, but then people can argue was it a joint tour, etc. so it could be subjective as well.

Everything else is clearly somewhat subjective. It’s a fact that Jay has classic albums and singles. How many is where it gets subjective.
Nah, that's Juelz'ing. Hov been relevant for 25 years, no matter the criteria.

Nah, that's not subjective. How can anyone sit here and say Jay isn't a great lyricist?

I also think Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint at the very least are stamped as classic hip-hop albums with the other ones having strong cases too.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
The Story of OJ, it has 116M views, peaked at number 23 on the charts, certified Gold, inspired several remakes, and when it dropped every one was talking about it, probably one of the best music videos of the decade as well.

Nas hasn’t had a record on this level since 2002. That was 18 years ago.
In the immortal words of one of the all time GOATS
tenor.gif

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Nah, that's Juelz'ing. Hov been relevant for 25 years, no matter the criteria.

Nah, that's not subjective. How can anyone sit here and say Jay isn't a great lyricist?

I also think Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint at the very least are stamped as classic hip-hop albums with the other ones having strong cases too.
He’s definitely been less relevant these past five years than at any other point in his career. But this isn’t just about Jay. This is about whether longevity is purely objective and it’s clearly not. It’s going to defend on whether the artist was relevant all those years.

Can we say that It’s a fact that Jay is a great lyricist? Or just an all around amazing rapper? I think so. But for some people that means he’s the absolute best ever. For others that means he is top five. 25. Etc. That’s where it gets subjective.

I think when it comes to opinions about art, the broader the opinion the more likely a consensus can coalesce into a “fact”.

I agree with your assessment of classic albums for Jay. But you know there are people out there who would say he has none or he has 7.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
He’s definitely been less relevant these past five years than at any other point in his career. But this isn’t just about Jay. This is about whether longevity is purely objective and it’s clearly not. It’s going to defend on whether the artist was relevant all those years.

Can we say that It’s a fact that Jay is a great lyricist? Or just an all around amazing rapper? I think so. But for some people that means he’s the absolute best ever. For others that means he is top five. 25. Etc. That’s where it gets subjective.

I think when it comes to opinions about art, the broader the opinion the more likely a consensus can coalesce into a “fact”.

I agree with your assessment of classic albums for Jay. But you know there are people out there who would say he has none or he has 7.
Less relevant in what ways? He's 51, you're not going to have the Hov from his prime dropping every year. He's still highly relevant whatever he does make news, people wear his Paper Planes apparel like if it was Rocawear, the reason that Jay Electronica album did what he did was because Hov was beside him on most of the tracks, when he killed What's Free on Meek album it was discussed as one of the verses of the year, when he hopped on I Got The Keys with Future on Khaled album it went Platinum, when he got on Pusha's Drug Dealers Anonymous it was discussed as one of verses of the year. The Jay feature is still a big deal it's a show stopper. His last album did 262,000 copies first week, it was a Tidal exclusive during that first week, it still debut at number one and went Platinum. It's no rapper that has been on this level for this long and that people still cared about at 50. It's just a fact.

U talking about opinions? How some one going to sit here and say Jay has zero classics. Those are opinions not objective facts. The impact that Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint had on the culture make them 100% objective classics.