• I cant choose

Votes: 9 7.3%

• Total voters

DeuceCypherUno

knowledge God
Daps
Reppin
Straight out the fukkin' dungeons of rap
The thing is IWW was Nas doing what a lot of others were doing. While it's still a great album, it's not the best of its kind. Not even close. He'll I thought 4,5,6 > IWW, not to mention shyt like RD or Cuban Linx or The Infamous

But Illmatic is THE quintessential album of project window perspectives and nostalgic emotion.

So it's not close here

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It could go either way, IWW is my favorite ever. But what I will say is lyrically Nas on IWW > Illmatic.

what on IWW is lyrically on par with “NY State of Mind” or “Memory Lane” or “Life’s a Bych”?

Ty-Fife

14k Gold Slum Computer Wizard
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
what on IWW is lyrically on par with “NY State of Mind” or “Memory Lane” or “Life’s a Bych”?

Take it in Blood, Suspect, Shootouts, Watch Dem nikkas, Live nikka Rap, The Message, Affirmative Action? :jbhmm:

His bar structure clearly evolved on IWW whereas Illmatic it was more straight forward and G Rap-ish.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
This is absurd

IWW has a few great songs (The Message, I Gave You Power, Affirmative Action, Take It In Blood) and the rest of the album is a cut below, in “solid but not great” territory.

The worst song on Illmatic (whatever you think that is) is at least as good as the best on IWW

This revisionism about IWW needs to stop. It was considered a major let down when it dropped. That’s why the entire narrative before I Am dropped was about whether Nas could regain his old form and redeem himself.

The comment that the worst song on Illmatic is as good as the best songs on IWW is more absurd than saying IWW > Illmatic. One Time For Your Mind isn't anywhere close to Take It In Blood, The Message, Shootouts, I Gave You Power

Revisionist history ain't a bad thing in every case either. Few things you gotta remember. Illmatic was more than an album to a lot of people. To them it represented the pinnacle of a certain style of hip hop and Nas was the savior of that sound.

Those circles were extremely vocal in their hate of IWW because it was a such a drastic shift in production style. It was seen as a betrayal. And those circles had a real loud voice in the press too. And no doubt they shyt on it heavy.

But in 1996, outside the NYC hip hop purist bubble, IWW was a huge album that people were feeling and 90% of them hadn't even heard Illmatic. So it's also revisionist history to say IWW was universally disliked, and to act like it didn't dominate summer of '96. Pac and BIG passing right afterward sort of overshadowed its run and impact at the time. But IWW was one of the first albums to have that glossy, expensive sounding production almost all the way through married to street content and high level lyricism. Like, BIG had that on the RTD singles but the rest of that album was grimy NY shyt like Illmatic.

IWW gets revisionist love because it's more accepted now for what it is vs what it isn't. It straddled the line between street and commercial about as well as any album you can list. And Nas was locked in. Put it this way, if the lyrics and flows he had on the top 9 songs on IWW were over Premier, Pete Rock, Large Pro and RZA beats instead of Trackmasters and that was the album, the same haters would've been calling it another classic. But a lot of them still not over the fact he never tried to make another Illmatic or reproduce that sound.

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
Take it in Blood, Suspect, Shootouts, Watch Dem nikkas, Live nikka Rap, The Message, Affirmative Action? :jbhmm:

His bar structure clearly evolved on IWW whereas Illmatic it was more straight forward and G Rap-ish.

After Magic, ran through the Nas catalog again like I always do when he drops a new one.

IWW is his best album from a straight rapping perspective. No question. His lyrics and flow were insane on IWW. Bars, rhyme schemes, concepts, overall focus were flawless. Every damn song. The musical version of an A-list crime film. If he dropped the same rhymes over Illmatic style beats it'd be consensus

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
it was just a few days ago I realized the disconnect I had with Illmatic.

I'll admit, Nas was RAPPING rapping

but I realized I didn't get to hear (in real time) the transition from the Rakim hip hop to the east coast more embracing the Kool G Rap way of things to Nas combining both.

I (and prolly the rest of the nation) didn't get the concept til IWW. Before IWW, we had plenty of NY artists to warm us up to it.

But hey, that's just my personal experience. I appreciate Illmatic a lot more now, but still IWW>>>>>>>>