Votes: 53 42.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 29 23.4%
  • I cant choose

Votes: 9 7.3%

• Total voters

Superstar
Daps
Son there's alot of people who always felt this way including Nas' own brother and daughter. One of my young homies got IWW as his favorite and greatest hip hop album of all time. Alot of MCs feel this way too. Such as Fab, G Rap, Royce, Budden etc etc. It's not some new internet opinion.

I regularly listen to both but could never feel the same. I like to play albums front to back but I never really get hyped for IWW until “the set up” through “if I ruled the world”. Everything before was too drab. I always felt like “Illmatic” had more color and life to it. It definitely sounds like he had more fun making it. I got a LOT of friends who prefer IWW, I also have a lot that prefer Illmatic. I think people that like IWW may like it because it feels more serious.

• Dap
Reactions: ADP

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I regularly listen to both but could never feel the same. I like to play albums front to back but I never really get hyped for IWW until “the set up” through “if I ruled the world”. Everything before was too drab. I always felt like “Illmatic” had more color and life to it. It definitely sounds like he had more fun making it. I got a LOT of friends who prefer IWW, I also have a lot that prefer Illmatic. I think people that like IWW may like it because it feels more serious.
Actually they all said they had more fun making IWW and Illmatic was a headache. Jungle specifically said he was in a bad place during the recording of Illmatic.

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Lupe said that he was trying to model The Cool (or one of his other early albums) after IWW, plus that era Nas gave him half his name.
Dre said Nas was an alien around this time, Snoop said Street Dreams is his favorite Nas song. 50's favorite verse was the first verse off The Message.
We know Pac was loving it and inspired to write Me & My Girlfriend.

Definitely not an online, or a new, thing.
IWW is ALOT of people's introduction to Nas as well and they went BACK for Illmatic. This is something alotta people gloss over as well. IWW was blazing hot all over the streets during that time frame.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
So u don't get hype for The Message, I Gave You Power, Street Dreams, Affirmative Action or Take It In Blood?? Lol. One of all of those Nas songs is alotta people top 5 Nas tracks. Lol.

Superstar
Daps
So u don't get hype for The Message, I Gave You Power, Street Dreams, Affirmative Action or Take It In Blood?? Lol. One of all of those Nas songs is alotta people top 5 Nas tracks. Lol.

They’re cool and all but I start to tune out halfway through “street dreams”. They’re just flat lol. I’d prefer the color and bounce of “The Infamous”/“illmatic”. IWW blend together up until “the set up”

Superstar
Daps
Actually they all said they had more fun making IWW and Illmatic was a headache. Jungle specifically said he was in a bad place during the recording of Illmatic.

I can see that considering the amount of people having to work on Illmatic vs IWW. Plus the stress of being new

DraymondT

Superstar
Daps
Lupe said that he was trying to model The Cool (or one of his other early albums) after IWW, plus that era Nas gave him half his name.
Dre said Nas was an alien around this time, Snoop said Street Dreams is his favorite Nas song. 50's favorite verse was the first verse off The Message.
We know Pac was loving it and inspired to write Me & My Girlfriend.

Definitely not an online, or a new, thing.

When Cole heard I Gave You Power from his cousin he said it stopped his west coast rap bias and he became a Nas stan and was thankful for havin heard some shyt like that he knew he was the greatest. Even had the lyrics printed out in his room. But Cole does rate Illmatic as Nas best though but still IWW can't be far behind for em.

Superstar
Daps
I don't get this take at all but hey. Ur opinion. Lol.

There’s nothing to get, it’s just tastes. I didn’t feel there was anything special about the first half of IWW. It was cool the first two time hearing it. Now it’s just boring compared to “Illmatic” or “the infamous”. I’m sure there’s plenty of other people who feel the opposite.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
IWW is ALOT of people's introduction to Nas as well and they went BACK for Illmatic. This is something alotta people gloss over as well. IWW was blazing hot all over the streets during that time frame.
Yea I know a bunch of folks who like IWW better but most of em heard that album before Illmatic. It’s usually the people who heard Illmatic when it first dropped that got stuck on that album and always expected Nas to create another one

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
They’re cool and all but I start to tune out halfway through “street dreams”. They’re just flat lol. I’d prefer the color and bounce of “The Infamous”/“illmatic”. IWW blend together up until “the set up”
I actually agree...you have the standouts like Watch Dem nikkaz, Affirmative Action and Take It In Blood but a lot of the music feels a little plodding and samey at times

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Yea I know a bunch of folks who like IWW better but most of em heard that album before Illmatic. It’s usually the people who heard Illmatic when it first dropped that got stuck on that album and always expected Nas to create another one
Thing that's crazy is alotta young cats who heard Illmatic first love it but when they get to IWW they like "yo this shyt type hetter". Lol

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
I actually agree...you have the standouts like Watch Dem nikkaz, Affirmative Action and Take It In Blood but a lot of the music feels a little plodding and samey at times
So let me get this straight. The Message sounds the same as I Gave You Power which sounds the same as Street Dreams? These are all time great Nas tracks yall dismissing right now. Who the fukk skips I Gave You Power? Lol.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Thing that's crazy is alotta young cats who heard Illmatic first love it but when they get to IWW they like "yo this shyt type hetter". Lol
I was one of them nikkas who wanted another Illmatic. But I can see why someone would like IWW better. It’s a more accessible album and arguably more lyrical