Votes: 9 7.3%

• Total voters

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:jbhmm:I never thought about that. But being from the south, you might have a point.

I know illmatic had the allstars of allstars on production like preme, pete rock, premier.......But I swear this shyt sound so nice in the car bro.

You have to remember we were listening to the music in our cars. We responded more to a sound that knocked in the whip. I can see why Illmatic may be a favorite if you are listening to it in your Walkman riding on a subway.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
The beats from IWW resonated more with nikkas in ATL and the south.

This is why I put IWW above Illmatic. We felt it more in real time.

Yeah, I remember playing It Ain't Hard To Tell and my homie was making fun of the "yeah" scream in the background of the hook or whatever.

He straight looked at me and was like "you really like this!? :mjgrin:"

If I Ruled The World and the rest of the album, I heard getting played all over where I was. Not a lot... but everywhere.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, I remember playing It Ain't Hard To Tell and my homie was making fun of the "yeah" scream in the background of the hook or whatever.

He straight looked at me and was like "you really like this!? :mjgrin:"

If I Ruled The World and the rest of the album, I heard getting played all over where I was. Not a lot... but everywhere.

That’s why Biggie sold 2 mil out the gate when Nas, Mobb and Wu were barely going gold.

Puffy was more worldly, for example he directed OutKast first video. He knew the sound had to appeal to markets outside of the tristate area.

Budda

Superstar
Daps
I guess I’m Nas number 1 “hater”
But y’all fans of his pretty much saying he peaked at 17 lol

It’s no way around it. That’s what y’all saying with this shyt and don’t even know it lol

nas after Illmatic is a way better MC

Half your posts are about Nas...

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Somebody said that It Was Written was too dark. That's funny, because people thought the production was too clean, so which is it? :russ:

If Illmatic isn't Nas' best album, then it has to be It Was Written. I would say that Illmatic is a 5/5 while It Was Written is like a 4.85/5 at the most, but Nas was perfect on IWW. Straight up lyrical perfection on that album. :mjcry:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I need someone to explain to me how his pen was "sharper" on IWW. It's a classic album and you can argue his flow improved, but as a writer? Give me examples because Illmatic is far more poetic, more introspective, and more evocative. Lyrically there is far more variety in terms of subject matter on Illmatic, vs IWW which is more mafioso.

Not hating on IWW, it's a classic. I'm just saying I've never heard a good argument for it being better. The simplest argument against it: Illmatic is perfect, IWW isn't. Black Girl Lost is mid.
Ask G Rap. He feels the same way.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Ask G Rap. He feels the same way.

I can see why, the G Rap influence is more prevalent. But I'm talking about lyrical depth, the writing, etc. Of course G Rap prefers the flows and subject matter on IWW...that's what he's been rapping about for nearly his entire career. Both are classic and dope. But the words, ideas, and emotions behind Illmatic are better IMO, and to most people I'd imagine.

• Dap
Reactions: ADP

A.V.

reTIreMEnt: THE ALBUM (01/22) ALL DSPs
Daps
Reppin
#AnyCityGang
I vote for IWW. Just wish it was as short and concise as Illmatic so it would get the recognition it deserves. If it were tightened up, itd be universally accepted as better or just as good as Illmatic :ahh:

RichYung

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA
IWW is my favorite album of all time so I agree that it is better than Illmatic