• Maybe

Votes: 29 23.4%
  • I cant choose

Votes: 9 7.3%

• Total voters

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
He was sharp on both equally if you ask me. Both 10 for 10 classics.
See I'd cosign this - even tho I disagree with the "equally" part - simply because it's a fact he was super sharp on both. There are no wasted bars on either album. I just think the depth of subject matter and different writing styles on Illmatic make it much better from a purely lyrical perspective.

I'm Blackman

Prep time > Everything
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside of Gotham (Montgomery, AL)
I guess I’m Nas number 1 “hater”
But y’all fans of his pretty much saying he peaked at 17 lol

It’s no way around it. That’s what y’all saying with this shyt and don’t even know it lol

nas after Illmatic is a way better MC

I agree with the bolded. To me that's natural, the longer you do something the better you get.

MurderToCassette

Sa Da Tay
Daps
Reppin
I am comfortable and I love you
1f5iciz.jpg

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I need someone to explain to me how his pen was "sharper" on IWW. It's a classic album and you can argue his flow improved, but as a writer? Give me examples because Illmatic is far more poetic, more introspective, and more evocative. Lyrically there is far more variety in terms of subject matter on Illmatic, vs IWW which is more mafioso.

Not hating on IWW, it's a classic. I'm just saying I've never heard a good argument for it being better. The simplest argument against it: Illmatic is perfect, IWW isn't. Black Girl Lost is mid.

I guess it's because of Take It In Blood. I was fooled too...but when I compare it to Memory Lane I'm like :patrice:

I'm Blackman

Prep time > Everything
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
This board been overrating the shyt out of It Was Written and In My Lifetime lately.

:mjlol: It's funny you say that. I was riding around last week listening to it. I said to myself remove I know what girls like and the city is mine and this shyt goes way up to me.

I'm Blackman

Prep time > Everything
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
See I'd cosign this - even tho I disagree with the "equally" part - simply because it's a fact he was super sharp on both. There are no wasted bars on either album. I just think the depth of subject matter and different writing styles on Illmatic make it much better from a purely lyrical perspective.

Not knocking illmatic it's one of the greatest album off any genre period and he rapped his ass off on it. To me his rapping on songs like "take it in blood" just felt more sharp. To use a shaky analogy I'm comparing MJ dropping 55 in one game to a game where he dropped 54. They're both immaculate right? I just feel IWW was better lyrically. I have nothing to base that on but my opinion.

I'm Blackman

Prep time > Everything
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The beats from IWW resonated more with nikkas in ATL and the south.

This is why I put IWW above Illmatic. We felt it more in real time.

:jbhmm:I never thought about that. But being from the south, you might have a point.

I know illmatic had the allstars of allstars on production like preme, pete rock, premier.......But I swear this shyt sound so nice in the car bro.