It cost $220M to dev TLOU2 (The economics of AAA games) Update: Spider-man 2 info

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
@OnlyFrans why this nikka capping yo
@The Mad Titan

134a46d9-d2d5-4fbe-87c1-7e6685d3fba5_text.gif

I dont wanna hear you spam post Nintendo bullshyt again.

you gunning hard for that 2023 WOAT:wow:

Half A $

Pro
Daps
Maybe they should learn from Microsoft and AI translate European countries instead of doing proper translation.

Hasn’t backfired for m$ at all… what do you mean 20 to 1?

Be one of the richest companies in the world and act like you’re broke

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
They will fall very short of 25 mill this year, with huge discounts and losses on every console sold.

Console sales sound good to you stan’s, but investors want profit. Xbox made profit off playstation hardware losses this Holliday season:wow:

Apparently you don’t understand what any of these words mean.

Activision is an asset.

It’s worth 80 billion+ and microsoft owns it. It’s currently worth equal to more money than M$ spent on it.

Sony pays microsoft for the privilege of having access to the most important game to their existence in the market…COD.

Sony loses lots of money on EVERY cod PS5 bundle they sell. Microsoft makes money on them.

You goofies are winning the “console war” while sony is looking for an answer for the dire realties of their profit situation, and xbox can continue to exist based solely off the revenue generated form games on sony and nintendo hardware.

Cold world :wow:

The same nikka

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The same nikka
Yeah i think you are confused.

The cost to develop a game is an expense.

An acquisition is not an expense.

When you buy a house you aren't “loosing money on it” until you make all the money back. The asset is worth the money you spent. Activision is still one of the most valuable assets in gaming. Microsoft just owns it now.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Nintendo seems to make reasonable looking games on limited power hardware that sell boatloads. It’s possible.

I never thought I see the day where AAA videogames have higher budgets than blockbuster comic book movies. Back in the PS2/GC era, the average game only cost around $3-8 million.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I never thought I see the day where AAA videogames have higher budgets than blockbuster comic book movies. Back in the PS2/GC era, the average game only cost around $3-8 million.

much easier to recoup though since you got the majority of the revenue.

TLOU2 made it's money back the same week of release.

With movies, the theaters get almost half of the money.

Now you see movie studios trying to jump on toys and video game universes :mjlol:

Unoriginal fukks

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I have no idea why they dont just make everything in india or africa or latin america. It seems silly to me that the vast majority of non-marketing costs is for service labor. a c-developer in Mumbai or DAresalam or Honduras makes less than a tenth of Bethesda Dev in maryland. Same could be said for HR staff, accounting , PMs, etc. And these places dont have silly things like labor laws. So There is no reason any of the gaming industry should be occuring in Western nations.

For this reason i think a game squad like cd project red will do exponentially better withtheir budgets in Eastern Europe than Activision or Kojima does. The witcher 3 only cost them 12mil and gave them the rest of the budget to market in an era when a similar game was already at the 100mil level

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Spider-man 2 info leaked

Pre-production began in 2018, and at peak earlier this year there were 264 developers working directly on the project, with an additional 116 contributing in the form of managers, IT staff, and other support roles. 314 minutes of cinematics alone cost over $40 million. The final cost was roughly $30 million over the original $270 million budget, according to the presentation, requiring the game to sell 7.2 million copies at full price to break even.

My numbers were spot fukkin on and y’all argued me to death.

Keep telling y’all, Meach is always fukkin right. Quit arguing with me :wow:

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Spider-man 2 info leaked

My numbers were spot fukkin on and y’all argued me to death.

Keep telling y’all, Meach is always fukkin right. Quit arguing with me :wow:
For the guy who always talks up "engagement" you should be the first to understand that Spider-Man 2 caused a lot of PS5s to sell within the last few months.

This whole break even # looks a little different when they're pushing more PS5s than ever before.