It cost $220M to dev TLOU2 (The economics of AAA games) Update: Spider-man 2 info

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
In the post you quoted, i literally said i’m sure they made a profit:comeon:

This is what i’m talking about.

Going forward AAA games won’t even be greenlit unless the publisher estimates the game will sell at least 5-7 mill worst case scenario. And if they don’t meet those sales, they probably won’t get many more chances to try.

It made it there through now almost a decade of re-releases re-masters. DLC. Bundles, discounts, etc.

They basically have to turn single player games into ongoing money streams in order to make the investment worthwhile. Sony can do that because they are a platform holder. Most other Devs/publishers can’t take that risk.

Every game is not going to have a budget the size of TLOU2 either.

Stop concern trolling over shyt to try and throw shade at the people who actually know how to run a gaming operation instead of those bozos you stan. :rudy:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Why they black out some things when all u need to do is zoom in and see the numbers? :dead:
yeah, a bunch of the exhibits they released today are like that. someone fuct up

edit: they took them down, but the damage is done. everyone already got their screenshots and shyt

Last edited:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's all good when you make a triple A game that hits.

But what about when you make a redfall or days gone.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
In the post you quoted, i literally said i’m sure they made a profit:comeon:

This is what i’m talking about.

Going forward AAA games won’t even be greenlit unless the publisher estimates the game will sell at least 5-7 mill worst case scenario. And if they don’t meet those sales, they probably won’t get many more chances to try.

It made it there through now almost a decade of re-releases re-masters. DLC. Bundles, discounts, etc.

They basically have to turn single player games into ongoing money streams in order to make the investment worthwhile. Sony can do that because they are a platform holder. Most other Devs/publishers can’t take that risk.

But what matters is that they made it.

And oh fukking well. Make good shyt or get out.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Every game is not going to have a budget the size of TLOU2 either.

Stop concern trolling over shyt to try and throw shade at the people who actually know how to run a gaming operation instead of those bozos you stan. :rudy:

Common thread here is talking about the health of the AAA gaming industry.

This leak gives some context to those conversations.

If you don’t want to talk about it fine, but when you are seeing less and less of these types of games, at least you can come back to this thread and understand why :ehh:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Meach doesn’t really understand, and thats ok.

TLOU2 recouped development cost in preorders alone per Neil Druckmann. It sold 4 million copies week one, at full price (not counting collectors editions) it boosts ps plus subscriptions when it enters the service, and it sells consoles. It will also make money through multi-media like tv and merch, etc.

It will also get a PC release.

Looking at development and marketing cost doesn’t really tell you where all the money is coming in for these games. Its why studios like Santa Monica, Guerrilla, Insomniac, Suckerpunch, and Naughty Dog get bigger budgets because they are guaranteed to make up for all of it through franchise sales.

I’d be more worried if i were him about Microsoft spending that same amount of money or more and putting games into gamepass day one, those bethesda games ain’t cheap to make either:sas2:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It’s not about making good shyt. Most devs/publishers don’t have Fortnight and COD royalties to fund their endeavors, and they don’t have a console to bundle games with, so they can’t rely on a 10 year plan to make profit on their games.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Meach doesn’t really understand, and thats ok.

TLOU2 recouped development cost in preorders alone per Neil Druckmann. It sold 4 million copies week one, at full price (not counting collectors editions) it boosts ps plus subscriptions when it enters the service, and it sells consoles. It will also make money through multi-media like tv and merch, etc.

It will also get a PC release.

Looking at development and marketing cost doesn’t really tell you where all the money is coming in for these games. Its why studios like Santa Monica, Guerrilla, Insomniac, Suckerpunch, and Naughty Dog get bigger budgets because they are guaranteed to make up for all of it through franchise sales.

I’d be more worried if i were him about Microsoft spending that same amount of money or more and putting games into gamepass day one, those bethesda games ain’t cheap to make either:sas2:
Development costs are only part of it. It takes another $250+ to actually sell the game.

They don’t actually pull in anywhere near $70 per game sale, especially for physical games.

The bolded is my point. Sony can do that. Anyone who doesn’t own a platform, TV studios, streaming service, etc can’t monetize their game the way sony can.

Y’all so stuck trying to stan sony and this game, the whole point of this thread is going over your head.

Yes, sony can do this. Most other publishers can not, and even Sony is shifting away from their longtime strategy cause they gotta pull in more revenue than the traditional AAA single player console game model can bring them.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Nice to see Sony willing to spend to make great games

Also, why I’ll continue to be a Sony fan until they don’t. People say they want them to make smaller budget games and I don’t get it. Theres like 1000 developers making AA games, let sony continue spending money to make the type of games only they can make. Being a platform holder means they aren’t just relying on these big first party games to carry them which lets them take more financial risks on them

Not including studios like Rockstar that make a big budget game every 10 years