IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
@Czr @No Homo

How's consulting? I was looking at getting into it.

MSPs and Consulting companies are cheat codes for your career.

I'm exposed to a lot of different technology. It's great, because I learn a lot. On the other hand, lt means a lot of late nights learning how to do shyt.

Some days I don't do shyt. Other days I put in 16 hours. As long as I get my work done on time. Maintain a good rapport with the client. I'm good money.

Most important part of consulting is to network and show initiative. Can't wait for shyt to happen. Gotta go get it.... Then again, that applies to life, in general :jbhmm:

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.

I'm exposed to a lot of different technology. It's great, because I learn a lot. On the other hand, lt means a lot of late nights learning how to do shyt.

Some days I don't do shyt. Other days I put in 16 hours. As long as I get my work done on time. Maintain a good rapport with the client. I'm good money.

Most important part of consulting is to network and show initiative. Can't wait for shyt to happen. Gotta go get it.... Then again, that applies to life, in general :jbhmm:
What kind of background skills do you need to be a consultant?

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
What kind of background skills do you need to be a consultant?

Depends on the type of consulting. It boils down to one of these three:
  1. Experience, unrelated degree
  2. Related degree, no experience
  3. Related degree, experience
Look at the careers website of Ernst & Young, KPMG, Deloitte, and PWC. To see the types of jobs/services they offer.

princeofhaiti

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Brehs what type of money did you make on your second IT job?

So far I did an internship and i'm almost done with this contract so by next month i'll hit a year of experience:lawd:

The contract was at a non profit so I was doing helpdesk and active directory/office 365 admin stuff

The contract was 20 an hour since I was suppose to just be there for part time 3 months and they extended me with full time same pay till Feb

I just told a recruiter 25-30 is my asking price:lupe:

I live in NYC and have my A+ and Net+ so that should be good right?:lupe:

It's crazy because 2 years ago I was looking at this thread wanting to get into IT. I'm so grateful now:to:
damn u got your a+ and net+:ufdup:, not sure of the market in NY but i would ask for 30/hr+
started in the field 2.5 years ago, made 19/hr on my second gig. Got a promotion and now making 30/hr+ with no certs:whew:

ryda518

Randy Orton=Legend Killer
Daps
Reppin
bx all day
damn u got your a+ and net+:ufdup:, not sure of the market in NY but i would ask for 30/hr+
started in the field 2.5 years ago, made 19/hr on my second gig. Got a promotion and now making 30/hr+ with no certs:whew:

Yeah I realized this week that I was underselling myself. Crazy is that looking online these companies ask for a lot and are still paying less than 20 dollars an hour.:mjlol:

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti

MSPs?

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
Managed service providers.

----------------
PSA: Brehs got questions but dont wanna run me my dap + rep :mjpls:

The game ain't free :mjgrin:

Lol, interesting, my end game is consulting. The big 4 do not seem that suited to newcomers.

Have you heard of these firms? Accenture/DXC/Cognizant/Capgemini, what do you think of them.

I am still working on my 4 yr degree but am hoping to try it out eventually.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Lol, interesting, my end game is consulting. The big 4 do not seem that suited to newcomers.

Have you heard of these firms? Accenture/DXC/Cognizant/Capgemini, what do you think of them.

Those are consulting companies so the same rules apply - Never count yourself out. Apply to all 8 until you get the job you want.

Try to get a few internships before you graduate.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana

DXC technology is supposed to being expanding its operations down here in Louisiana might be some opportunities for the coli brehs to get on
Louisiana gives DXC Technology major incentive deal for 2,000-job New Orleans expansion
DXC Technology's New Orleans office is now open

BVII

Pro
Daps
Would getting my Security+ be a waste now, since I have a one year of experience in cyber security as a systems engineer? I plan on leaving my job soon for another one and I'm very interested in gov positions.

slikkp

Pro
Daps
Would getting my Security+ be a waste now, since I have a one year of experience in cyber security as a systems engineer? I plan on leaving my job soon for another one and I'm very interested in gov positions.

If you want a government position, you need a security plus as it is valid for the 8570/8140 dod requirement at IAT level 2.