IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
I thought Certs were really only for dudes in the IT fiels but even Financial/Business Analyst type roles are starting to require some competency in IT.

Can y’all school me on this CSM (Certified Scrum Master) thing. One of my boys told me it’d be a worth while investment for anyone looking to get into a Consulting type role. Said the cert is less than 1k and if I really focus on it I can probably knock it out in like 5-6 weeks. :feedme:

I should have been looking deep into these certs since graduation. I want to eventually run my own shop in Nigeria but no knowledge is wasted or lost. Might as well get it in while I can now. :manny:

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti

Discipline Equals Freedom.

Sec+
CCNA CyberOps

Guessing you're in CyberSec/InfoSec? Field is so broad and I am still trying to figure out which ball park I am trying to land in. But I am leaning towards CyberSec Analyst or Incident Response.

Did you skip out on the CySa+, any particular reason why? I am studying for the Sec+, that is in my sights right now and is my #1 priority and do not want to get ahead of myself. My vision however is to get into the security side of things eventually. As of now, I just snagged a Tech Support job at a call center brehs :mjcry:. It ain't much, but it is a start, and I will not be waiting long to start searching for better jobs/titles but will learn as much as I can along the way. Probably gonna try and land in the DMV area afterwards.

I want to learn some Python and Linux command line stuff, and build up some Powershell fundamentals. Just to get a general understanding of these concepts and the utilization of them in the field. Once I have a strong enough foundation, I want to learn automation on Puppet/Docker years down the line. Obviously things can change, and and things in this field are always changing and I may even choose something else after working some jobs. But is there anything here that I should remove or better focus on? Also which cert would you say is good to pursue after the Sec+?

Last edited:

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Discipline Equals Freedom.

Guessing you're in CyberSec/InfoSec? Field is so broad and I am still trying to figure out which ball park I am trying to land in. But I am leaning towards CyberSec Analyst or Incident Response.

Did you skip out on the CySa+, any particular reason why? I am studying for the Sec+, that is in my sights right now and is my #1 priority and do not want to get ahead of myself. My vision however is to get into the security side of things eventually. As of now, I just snagged a Tech Support job at a call center brehs :mjcry:. It ain't much, but it is a start, and I will not be waiting long to start searching for better jobs/titles but will learn as much as I can along the way. Probably gonna try and land in the DMV area afterwards.

I want to learn some Python and Linux command line stuff, and build up some Powershell fundamentals. Just to get a general understanding of these concepts and the utilization of them in the field. Once I have a strong enough foundation, I want to learn automation on Puppet/Docker years down the line. Obviously things can change, and and things in this field are always changing and I may even choose something else after working some jobs. But is there anything here that I should remove or better focus on? Also which cert would you say is good to pursue after the Sec+?

Certs are great, but skills are more important. When I got this job, I only had Sec+, but I spent mad time learning as much as possible on my own (pentesting, application security, IPS, SIEM, networking, linux, windows server, C, etc).

I recommend that you learn Linux and Python. A good way to do it would be to install Openstack. That would give you a reason to learn linux and python together. If you really want to put in work. You can add docker, ansible, puppet, and jenkins to that. I prefer to learn multiple things at once opposed to one at a time. If that's too advanced. Just start with the RHCSA. I would do that before Sec+. It will teach you linux and networking at the same time. It will also have you ready for sysadmin or sec analyst positions.

Last edited:

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Just passed (barely) Sec+.That's 3 :blessed: going to work on my health, and possibly look into a non CompTIA cert, maybe Cisco or something. Then, looking to upgrade jobs, and hopefully start making some decent bread. All I did was watch Professor Messer's YT training course. I have real world experience, so I was able to put 2 and 2 together on a lot of the questions. If you don't already do this stuff for a living, I would suggest getting a home lab you can practice all this stuff on. I know for a fact I don't dare do a Cisco cert without at least using an emulator to practice. Let's get it brehs:wow:

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
I'm a Cloud Security Architect. My job is split between Pentesting and DevSecOps type work. I skipped Cysa+ because it's similar to CCNA CyberOps, it was free, and I wanted a Cisco cert.

Certs are great, but skills are more important. When I got this job, I only had Sec+, but I spent mad time learning as much as possible on my own (pentesting, application security, IPS, SIEM, networking, linux, windows server, C, etc).

I recommend that you learn Linux and Python. A good way to do it would be to install Openstack. That would give you a reason to learn linux and python together. If you really want to put in work. You can add docker, ansible, puppet, and jenkins to that. I prefer to learn multiple things at once opposed to one at a time. If that's too advanced. Just start with the RHCSA. I would do that before Sec+. It will teach you linux and networking at the same time. It will also have you ready for sysadmin or sec analyst positions.

Dope, thanks, I needed this.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I thought Certs were really only for dudes in the IT fiels but even Financial/Business Analyst type roles are starting to require some competency in IT.

Can y’all school me on this CSM (Certified Scrum Master) thing. One of my boys told me it’d be a worth while investment for anyone looking to get into a Consulting type role. Said the cert is less than 1k and if I really focus on it I can probably knock it out in like 5-6 weeks. :feedme:

I should have been looking deep into these certs since graduation. I want to eventually run my own shop in Nigeria but no knowledge is wasted or lost. Might as well get it in while I can now. :manny:

You don't have to study for the cert, you just take the course.

In other news, my new gig is Fukkaryville, might have to do what I gotta do even if its a pay cut
:francis:
Need something stable fo this up coming Recession.

MollyGalaga

+*++****+*+*+*=*++*.*+
Daps
Reppin
HTX
I'm a Cloud Security Architect. My job is split between Pentesting and DevSecOps type work. I skipped Cysa+ because it's similar to CCNA CyberOps, it was free, and I wanted a Cisco cert.

Yea i know what im going into now

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Put me on breh. Just take the course and that's it? Any benefits as far as salary increase or being marketable?

Yes thats it. Pretty much just helps you get past resume filters. That said if you actually want to be a scrum master Id reccomend understand scrum and the value of a scrum master because if you do get a gig as one you will easily be exposed if you dont know what youre doing lol