IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
Yo anybody know what it mean to “allow outbound HTTP (80) and FTP (21) access to 199.231.32.0/20 through your firewall””
???

This SonicWall shyt confusing . Tryna set up this bullshyt ass mail thingy for the company.

Max rep for any help
I know people answered, but what job do you have for this company?!:mjlol:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Forgot if I asked, but anyone ever leave a Job in under 6 months? :lupe:

Did you burn bridges and go ghost or put in formal 2 weeks?
How long have you been at the job? And why are you leaving so soon?

I'm trying to leave mine because it's just too low level, It won't help my career at all. But it pays really well.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
How long have you been at the job? And why are you leaving so soon?

I'm trying to leave mine because it's just too low level, It won't help my career at all. But it pays really well.
stay until you get a better offer for what you want and then leave.
You don't owe anyone anything and if you are advancing and leave the right way, no one is going to fault you for progressing.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
stay until you get a better offer for what you want and then leave.
You don't owe anyone anything and if you are advancing and leave the right way, no one is going to fault you for progressing.
I need to study to reach the next level and I'm not sure I want to stay where I'm at while I do that. I'm a contractor at a big company, so the level of access I have to systems is heavily controlled/set in stone.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I need to study to reach the next level and I'm not sure I want to stay where I'm at while I do that. I'm a contractor at a big company, so the level of access I have to systems is heavily controlled/set in stone.
I understand, best bet is just to study while you are there, study during your lunch, study when you have down time, study after work, reach out to different teams about helping in projects so you can't get exposure and apply for news jobs

If you get it 2 weeks and dip, but you have to invest in yourself,

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
I'm thinking about getting a few certs less so because I want a career in IT but to build up my resume for the next recession when people with technical skills will be high in demand.

I'm currently in the Business/Data/Financial Analyst sphere and I'm wondering what would be a good program from me to learn as a base level. I'm already exploring SQL but I was wondering if there any programs that would be good just to have in my back pocket. Also, programs where I can learn for free and the cert would be pretty cheap.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I'm thinking about getting a few certs less so because I want a career in IT but to build up my resume for the next recession when people with technical skills will be high in demand.

I'm currently in the Business/Data/Financial Analyst sphere and I'm wondering what would be a good program from me to learn as a base level. I'm already exploring SQL but I was wondering if there any programs that would be good just to have in my back pocket. Also, programs where I can learn for free and the cert would be pretty cheap.
If you are getting certs and they don't really apply to what you have experience doing its a waste, especially the certs with significant RoI because no one will care.
try to target your certs towards what you do are want to do, if there is a recession the guy who gets put on is going to be the guy with connections, not a nice resume anyway.

Rymas

Superstar
Daps
Got that AWS Solutions Architect Associate and Security+

Basically have a few paths to go down now with 2 years of solid IT experience and a foundational bachelor's degree. But ideally would get a security clearance which would guarantee job security

Rymas

Superstar
Daps
1.5 years experience at a major financial institution maintaining internally built data warehouse applications

1 years experience at a software company providing PaaS with our software on public cloud environments

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Got that AWS Solutions Architect Associate and Security+

Basically have a few paths to go down now with 2 years of solid IT experience and a foundational bachelor's degree. But ideally would get a security clearance which would guarantee job security

Congrats on getting your certs, you stay by any fed installations, with 2 years, you should be able to get into, at the least, a help desk or service desk position.

Rymas

Superstar
Daps
Congrats on getting your certs, you stay by any fed installations, with 2 years, you should be able to get into, at the least, a help desk or service desk position.

Lmao I had two developer offers out of college, I have a degree homie in Computer Engineering, sounds to me like you didn’t read or understand my posts

Conscious Pilot

Do Better.
Daps
Reppin
Beaches and Palm Trees
Just lost my job at Comcast doing Business Class tech support for over 5 years. Prior to that I was a lab tech and library administrator at A University:snoop:

Expired Certs but just tryna get a soft feel of what route I should go? Not looking for a job for so long, what’s the best websites for jobs in the tech field. I’m no crazy expert but I know my shyt enough. Is Dice and Indeed still the best websites to job hunt? Daps and reps will be given :mjcry:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Lmao I had two developer offers out of college, I have a degree homie in Computer Engineering, sounds to me like you didn’t read or understand my posts
Thats cool, I read your post, and I'm talking about doing what it takes to get a security clearance quickly so you can move on to what you want to do.
but hey you know it all, and have your clearance and know they process, so good luck to you.