IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
So I got two job offers sitting at my door right now.

Customer Support Services at a call center or Tech Sales Job at Staples...

Neither of them are the Help Desk job I want, but you gotta start somewhere, and I can use the resume filler.

I am gonna aim for the call center one, mainly because I will actually be helping people with tech issues to some extent. While at Staples it sounds like they really just want me for sales. Wish me luck brehs, either way, it should help me save up to make the moves I wanna make. Off to study more for that Sec+...

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Im trying to make a move into the Security lane. What job titles did you work as from the start of your Security career up until now? I see you getting the money and i want in :feedme:
Tech support
Helpdesk
Desktop
Security

I just made a resume tailored to security, embellished on some job duties, and changed some job titles around :mjpls:

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Tech support
Helpdesk
Desktop
Security

I just made a resume tailored to security, embellished on some job duties, and changed some job titles around :mjpls:
Cool, im about to make that move. Did you tailor it based on the exam objectives from certs such as Security + or just from looking at I.T security job descriptions from Dice, Indeed etc?

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Cool, im about to make that move. Did you tailor it based on the exam objectives from certs such as Security + or just from looking at I.T security job descriptions from Dice, Indeed etc?
Job descriptions
In demand skills
Tools that I had seen, "used", and "administrated" (AKA shyt I studied on youtube)

MR. Conclusion

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Also Salesforce architects and admins allegedly make guap with median salaries in the mid 80s. But Salesforce admin (not architects) is more about business know how then tech skillz.

Brock Landers

AKA Tyler Hands-thorough
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Torrance, CA
Moving from front end web development to ICT in February, hoping to complete an ICT course by the end of the year and study for the CCENT throughout the year. Aiming to do A+ as well...spent way too much time bullshytting and not switching over sooner :francis: Inshallah I can secure the bag :blessed:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Recruiter an MSP called to tell me they're thing to send me an offer! I'll be working on site at a major tech company doing help desk.

The work seems like a step down from what I was doing before, but the salary is around what I was looking for. It'll be 12k or more than I was making at my last gig.

There's still another job at a startup that I was waiting to hear back from though.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Recruiter an MSP called to tell me they're thing to send me an offer! I'll be working on site at a major tech company doing help desk.

The work seems like a step down from what I was doing before, but the salary is around what I was looking for. It'll be 12k or more than I was making at my last gig.

There's still another job at a startup that I was waiting to hear back from though.

I wouldn't mess with any start ups right now with the economy going to tank soon

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
MAN I'm tired of dealing with VOIP. Just so many random BS issues to have to deal with. :snoop:

I'm still not even sure how I ended up being stuck with it. :mindblown:

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
This guy motivated me. :salute:

Heres a snippet:
So I just my passed my A+ this afternoon. I have never been so scared of a test in my life. Short back story, I'm 36 and have worked steady in restaurants and auto repair since I was 15. I have 0 IT experience aside from working on my on stuff and having to figure things out because I could never afford to pay to have someone else fix something. After a bunch of terrible things happening in my life (some my fault, some not) I burned out with the career I had accepted. I decided to follow a new path and found myself studying IT. I know I have only started on my path but being able to pass the first certification is a validation of my decision.

:wow:

36 and no IT experience. I'm bout to be 34 soon and trying to get where he's at. It can be done brehs, just gotta believe in yourself and put in the work.

Didn't realize the link was gonna post the whole damn post. :martin:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I wouldn't mess with any start ups right now with the economy going to tank soon
I haven't gotten an offer from them. But what would make you go with a startup? They've got 160 mill in total funding and founded in early 2016.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps

Congrats, b.

What's good with the higher level positions though? You should be applying for Dev or admin level positions by now. Do you have a Dev resume, sysadmin resume, etc?

I want to see all you brehs prosper and make more money, that's all.