IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The offer is kinda bad. It pays slightly less than I'm making and now all of a sudden it's temp to hire. They didn't mention that before.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
How was the CCNA Cyber Ops? I'm about to be enrolled in the program. SECFND seems pretty simple but SECOPS looks a little more hands on. How is it compared to the Sec+?

CyberOps is more technical than Sec+.
  • Finish all the labs.
  • Read the SECFND and SECOPS books.
The SECFND exam asked questions that were covered in the SECOPS course. You should at least skim SECOPS material before you take the SECFND. For the SECOPS exam, you need the gap document. If your mentor doesn't give it to you, let me know. I'll send it to you.

Edit: SECOPS was easier than SECFND to me. Both exams ask more in depth questions than Sec+. Ex. "Look at this output... what is the attacker trying to accomplish" and it may be a PCAP, IDS log, or firewall log.

Last edited:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I think I'm about to get a job offer even though I'm on the second day of my new job.

The offer is kinda bad. It pays slightly less than I'm making and now all of a sudden it's temp to hire. They didn't mention that before.

Update: When I tried to decline the offer, they asked why and I tell them because it's temp to hire. They hang up, call back 5 minutes later. It's now a permanent position. It's got summer Fridays, 1 more day PTO than the job I just started. Even though I'm not super excited about the job I got, this one doesn't seem as good. It's a much smaller company and there's no IT team. The lack of a team makes me think that there won't be room to grow and I'll get bored a lot sooner.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Update: When I tried to decline the offer, they asked why and I tell them because it's temp to hire. They hang up, call back 5 minutes later. It's now a permanent position. It's got summer Fridays, 1 more day PTO than the job I just started. Even though I'm not super excited about the job I got, this one doesn't seem as good. It's a much smaller company and there's no IT team. The lack of a team makes me think that there won't be room to grow and I'll get bored a lot sooner.

When you interviewed for the position, was a team ever mentioned? Did you inquire about growth of the company? Honestly I wouldn't even entertain the position. I'm assuming that the changed it to temp to hire on you prior to you applying. That would have been a red flag for me and I would have declined the offer without hesitation.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
When you interviewed for the position, was a team ever mentioned? Did you inquire about growth of the company? Honestly I wouldn't even entertain the position. I'm assuming that the changed it to temp to hire on you prior to you applying. That would have been a red flag for me and I would have declined the offer without hesitation.
I knew there was no team after I interviewed, but I didn't have a job at the time, so I wasn't being picky. I got in with an MSP working on site at a really big company, but it's help desk when I wanted more of a junior admin type role. But it pays more than my previous job.

I'm gonna keeping looking passively while I study and cert up. Then around April\May, I'm gonna start hunting for real.

These companies take so long with their hiring. I got an email today from a company I interviewed with back in mid-November. The said I was still in the running, but they're taking a break for the holidays. It's been over a month!

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
I want to build a portfolio of sorts as I dive into some programming languages and take in shell scripting.

Would Github be a good place for dumping that stuff? How do y'all go about showing your work and all that?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I want to build a portfolio of sorts as I dive into some programming languages and take in shell scripting.

Would Github be a good place for dumping that stuff? How do y'all go about showing your work and all that?
Put it all in Github (I've been using GitLab lately) that way your work is visible and you can show you know how to use VCS. Then link to it in your resume.

Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe
Yo anybody know what it mean to “allow outbound HTTP (80) and FTP (21) access to 199.231.32.0/20 through your firewall””
???

This SonicWall shyt confusing . Tryna set up this bullshyt ass mail thingy for the company.

Max rep for any help

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Yo anybody know what it mean to “allow outbound HTTP (80) and FTP (21) access to 199.231.32.0/20 through your firewall””
???

This SonicWall shyt confusing . Tryna set up this bullshyt ass mail thingy for the company.

Max rep for any help
I'm assuming you need to add rules to allow that software to communicate over ports 21 and 80 for all outgoing traffic. If Sonic Wall is a firewall then you'll probably be able to add it there. If not then look at Windows defender settings and your should be about to do it there.