IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
I haven't gotten an offer from them. But what would make you go with a startup? They've got 160 mill in total funding and founded in early 2016.

congrats on your offer from the MSP. you typically learn a lot at MSPs and it's fast pace so it can really help accelerate your career knowledge so nice landing that.

as for startups, from my experience from talking to ppl and interviewing at a couple, they pay shyt and try to make up for that with free food, a stocked kitchen and a lot of PTO and gym reimbursement. i had an offer for a desktop support position at a startup once for $16/hr in downtown san francisco while another company offered me $25/hr for the same title and work responsibilities. i would only work at a startup if it's a high ranking position (higher salary and more stock in the company) and they've been around for several years and stable investment money and plans to go public. gotta cash out on those stocks.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Congrats, b.

What's good with the higher level positions though? You should be applying for Dev or admin level positions by now. Do you have a Dev resume, sysadmin resume, etc?

I want to see all you brehs prosper and make more money, that's all.
The startup job is more of an admin role. So, I'd really like to see what it pays. But the offer I got is paying 13k more than I was making at before I got laid off, despite having less responsibilities.

• Dap
Reactions: Czr

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
The startup job is more of an admin role. So, I'd really like to see what it pays. But the offer I got is paying 13k more than I was making at before I got laid off, despite having less responsibilities.

What do you want to do? What's your goal? You took that bootcamp so I figured you wanted to be a developer. Either way, take the job and stay hungry. Keep applying to higher positions. By our standards, you should be 6figures or really close by now.

Bite some resumes off 'indeed resume'. Interview for jobs you are unqualified for. You have to put yourself in uncomfortable situations to grow sometimes.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
What do you want to do? What's your goal? You took that bootcamp so I figured you wanted to be a developer. Either way, take the job and stay hungry. Keep applying to higher positions. By our standards, you should be 6figures or really close by now.

Bite some resumes off 'indeed resume'. Interview for jobs you are unqualified for. You have to put yourself in uncomfortable situations to grow sometimes.

This can't be can't emphasized enough.

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
A+ CERTIFIED BREHS.

Just passed CompTIA 902 exam(passed 901 in June). Now A+ Certified

Feela good. I studied my ass off for this. I was motived to study in my freetime. Was always looking/reading something related to the exam.

Going to start the study for the CCENT exam today or tomorrow.

I'm also in school getting my Bacholars degree in IT(2 and a half years left.

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
A+ CERTIFIED BREHS.

Just passed CompTIA 902 exam(passed 901 in June). Now A+ Certified

Feela good. I studied my ass off for this. I was motived to study in my freetime. Was always looking/reading something related to the exam.

Going to start the study for the CCENT exam today or tomorrow.

I'm also in school getting my Bacholars degree in IT(2 and a half years left.

Keep climbing brehs. :myman:

Spin

All Star
Daps
Just wanted to drop a little motivation in here before the Holidays. Get that money in 2019! You chose one of the best fields that can change your financial situation. Don't wait around to get promoted. There are too many open positions out there to be humble. Don't get caught up in any race crap because you can easily move around until you find a job that works better for your situation. I leave you with a video of David Steward. He built one of the largest black owned companies in America and it's a IT business!

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Just wanted to drop a little motivation in here before the Holidays. Get that money in 2019! You chose one of the best fields that can change your financial situation. Don't wait around to get promoted. There are too many open positions out there to be humble. Don't get caught up in any race crap because you can easily move around until you find a job that works better for your situation. I leave you with a video of David Steward. He built one of the largest black owned companies in America and it's a IT business!

I remember reading about him. His company has great glassdoor reviews.