IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
The key to understand the OSI model is not memorization but more understanding what's actually happening when you go from point A to B and all of it's component. You can never go wrong when you "follow the data". From the point it is created at point A to the point it arrives at it's destination at point B. Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away is pointless if you don't understand what they actually mean.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Submitting my two weeks notice at my current job this Monday :blessed:. I am hoping he wants to keep me though. I would not mind doing what I am doing as a contractor for 20-25 hr a week.

Rice'N Beckford

**King of ADOS**
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Copped the sec+ and CySA+ udemy courses. Gonna ain for the sec+ in feb. then start my cysa+

Tryna get this PT overnight job at a SOC. shyt would be a good look on my resume as the position title is “cyber security analyst” Im tryna leave support after a good 6-9 months and start in infosec. Hopefully with my sec+ and eventual cysa+

Daps
Leaving a job for another really is the come up. Was making nice money at my previous IT job, got to a point where I said I'm worth more, and got a new job doing basically the same thing with a $20,000 raise. In my sit down they told me to expect between 25k and 40k on the bonus and other income perks next year. I'm already over 6 figures. That bonus hit where it's supposed to be and you can't tell me shyt.

There's bags out here in this IT lane. I've carved out a nice spot in the System Admin world. I don't have certs, but I've been in the game long enough to where I don't need them. We need more representation in the IT world though, and that's real.

King45

Banned
Daps
Leaving a job for another really is the come up. Was making nice money at my previous IT job, got to a point where I said I'm worth more, and got a new job doing basically the same thing with a $20,000 raise. In my sit down they told me to expect between 25k and 40k on the bonus and other income perks next year. I'm already over 6 figures. That bonus hit where it's supposed to be and you can't tell me shyt.

There's bags out here in this IT lane. I've carved out a nice spot in the System Admin world. I don't have certs, but I've been in the game long enough to where I don't need them. We need more representation in the IT world though, and that's real.
I have a bachelor's degree and have been working at a call center for the past year. Been applying for helpdesk positions but have not been able to find anything because of no experience. Do you have any tips on getting a helpdesk position?

Balla

Superstar
Daps
U have a bachelor's in IT? I haven't gotten my helpdesk position yet, but I recommend to get the A+ cert.

I have a bachelor's degree and have been working at a call center for the past year. Been applying for helpdesk positions but have not been able to find anything because of no experience. Do you have any tips on getting a helpdesk position?

Daps

Help Desk is desirable by a lot of people (despite it being hell) because it's basically your foot into the IT world . You're going to have a lot of competition. In this case you definitely need certs to fill out your application. You can spin it that you have no work experience but have a huge appetite for IT , and you got these certs because of your high interest in learning etc etc. Whatever BS you want to say, but start with them certs.

Go the Liinux route if you can. People don't realize how much shyt in the corporate world uses Linux behind the scenes .

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Where do you live?