IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
Aim high, always. Don't sell yourself short. Change your mindset and you will do that.

200w.webp

I'm looking for career paths smh

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Had to drop that 200 for the security+ certmaster to renew mines.

Pushed back my CYSA+ another week, practice tests whipping my ass.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
How do you guys handle talks when a salary is not given up front? I had talk with HR and the topic of salary comes up. basically went like this

HR = So what are you looking to make? :shaq:

Me = "I cant put a number to the role this early without really knowing what is expected of me, what is the range for the role? " :troll:

HR = Well we base it off experience:ld:

Me = "I want 120k" :ohlawd:

HR = Its that what your making now? I'll be honest thats more than we are looking to pay right now

Me = So why didnt you tell me the range from the beginning? :dahell:

So yeah basically Im not getting that call back :dead: but why do these guys play games like this? What is a better way to handle this question? I have another call with a different company this week and I feel I always screw this up. Network Engineers in NY must be seriously underpaid or these companies just cheap.
I don't even reply back to emails until them bytches give the rate

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Should I just search local staffing agencies? Or is there like some big well known branch I should be looking into for Help Desk/Desktop Support gigs?

I am targeting pretty much anywhere in the South Florida area.
Robert Half, Unisys, Teksystems, modis....there's a ton of them and a lot of them sub out to other (smaller) places when they need people. These places are typically body shops so requirements are lower.

What do you mean by bodyshops?

• Dap
Reactions: .r.

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Starting to look at some certs outside of my degree.

The CISSP looks really really dope. I think I might go for that.

Any of you on Cybrary? It's legit.

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
Just read about a dude who got his dream IT job by just straight up emailing a company he really wanted to work for (this was after Amazon didn't work out for him) and explaining how passionate he was about the job, and how much he'd love to work for them. There was no job posting or even a sign that they were hiring. It was in the AWS field and within 8 days he got a response, interview, a follow up, and then eventually... the job.

I think he might've been overqualified, but he didn't let that stop him at all. He created an opportunity that wasn't there and found a way to pave his own way. We can call it luck, but there is that one quote about luck being when preparation meets opportunity. Like Ohbreh said above, don't sell yourself short, and instead of going in with the, "I'm not good enough to make this much" mindset, don't sell yourself short and adapt the,"I'm not gonna rest until I get the job I believe I deserve" mindset.

Of course you gotta put the time in, but that goes without saying for anything in this field it seems. I'm gonna keep applying brehs. Don't get discouraged or afraid. Got turned down for a few gigs already but I will keep learning and I won't let it stop me, because I know who ever hires me is gonna get a hard ass worker.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The bullshyt continues. Got an email about 30 minutes ago telling me to come in at 4 instead of 11. Seems like they're splitting us into groups for layoffs. The entire way they're handling this whole thing is pretty ridiculous.
Most of the company, including me, got let go. I'm staying until the end of the week to help shut down accounts and then getting a lump sum pay out. 2 months severance and benefits.

Some engineers and some people in the other departments are going to the company that bought my employer.

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
Most of the company, including me, got let go. I'm staying until the end of the week to help shut down accounts and then getting a lump sum pay out. 2 months severance and benefits.

Some engineers and some people in the other departments are going to the company that bought my employer.

:snoop:

What are your options ?

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps

Sorry to hear and hope you have short term plans to take care of stuff at home. If you do, use your unemployment time wisely......study like it's your full-time job, cert up, update your resume and look for a better job than you had before.