IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
I just got this in my inbox yesterday. Anyone know wtf this is? It doesn't read like desktop support, but I'm not trying to get finessed into doing the same shyt:mjpls:

-Under general direction, applies specialized knowledge in a single discipline such as assembly/integration, cross-discipline functions, data engineering, industry expertise, knowledge engineering or legacy evolution.
-Applies specialization to conceptualize, design, construct, test and implement portions of business and technical information technology solutions through application of appropriate software development life cycle methodology.
-Interacts with the customer to gain an understanding of the business environment, technical context and organizational strategic direction.
-Defines scope, plans and deliverables for assigned projects.
-Collects, identifies, defines and organizes detailed user and information technology requirements.
-Coordinates and collaborates with others in analyzing collected requirements to ensure plans and identified solutions meet customer needs and expectations.
-Confirms and prioritizes project plans and deliverables with the customer.
-Participates in business and technical information technology solution implementations, upgrades, enhancement and conversions.
-Understands and uses appropriate tools to analyze, identify and resolve business and or technical problems.
-Applies metrics to monitor performance and measure key project criteria.
-Prepares system documentation.
-Establishes and maintains security, integrity and business continuity controls and documents.
-Participates in special studies.
-Stays current on emerging tools, techniques and technologies.
-Assists information engineers on application of specialized knowledge to coding, testing, implementation and documentation projects.

Billy Preston

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I honestly don't know. I plan on preparing for the Net+ just by:

1. Watching Professor Messer videos (& reviewing his notes)
2. Doing the NET+ Lab Sim I bought from the Pearson IT Certification store
3. Going over practice exam questions

Yo - how's your studying for the Network+ going? I've been studying the Mike Meyers Udemy course and Professor Messors notes and it's going better than expected. I plan to take it in the last week of October and then knock out the Security+

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
need help from yall brehs, started of in networking for college then when i switched schools went the coding route, (i never wanted to code as i knew it wasn't for me) as that was their main focus. that didn't work out and now i wanna go back to the networking side of things and go for certs rather than a school degree in CS tbh. familiar with the basic cert routes but should i mix-match cisco with microsoft or other alternative certs based on my desired specialty, or stick to one specific and maybe sprinkle others here and there for support? Would yall recommend skipping the CompTIA entry certs and just starting at the CCENT and go up? Done with bs'ing and not being on my purpose and grind its time to change and take control.

Daps
need help from yall brehs, started of in networking for college then when i switched schools went the coding route, (i never wanted to code as i knew it wasn't for me) as that was their main focus. that didn't work out and now i wanna go back to the networking side of things and go for certs rather than a school degree in CS tbh. familiar with the basic cert routes but should i mix-match cisco with microsoft or other alternative certs based on my desired specialty, or stick to one specific and maybe sprinkle others here and there for support? Would yall recommend skipping the CompTIA entry certs and just starting at the CCENT and go up? Done with bs'ing and not being on my purpose and grind its time to change and take control.
Are you in IT or have IT experience? If not you should get the A+ and try to get a help desk role. Once you have that go for Cisco certs if you are sure you want to do networking.

Another thing is that you should start learning enough python to make scripts because the networking world is going to SDN(Software defined networking)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Another thing is that you should start learning enough python to make scripts because the networking world is going to SDN(Software defined networking)
Dudes need to learn about OpenDaylight and ONAP and all of the stuff surrounding that space if they want to be useful for SDN at Telecom companies.

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
Are you in IT or have IT experience? If not you should get the A+ and try to get a help desk role. Once you have that go for Cisco certs if you are sure you want to do networking.

no not in a IT gig and that was gonna be my plan, do both CompTIAs and go from there in networking. probably gonna get cloud cert on the side cuz it interests me and will increase my value. as for coding python, java and sql will probably be what i mess with have experience in C and php/webdev along with apple app development so those other three should be easy to get started on

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX
Bro, I'm actually trying to get into Help Desk lol. Is it as mentally draining as people say it is? I assumed you would be able to get into Desktop Support with the certs u got though. Network+ would probably put u over the top. I have my A+, but I'm studying for Network+ and planning on taking it in 3-4 weeks.

Helpdesk sucks dikk breh. You sit at a desk all day helping a bunch of entitled fukks who constantly blame you for every single problem they have with their computers. They forget their passwords every 3 days, don't know how to restart their computers, or recover files from the recycling bin.

Helpdesk is literally hell man. I'm lucky I was only there for a few months, some of my co workers were on the helpdesk for over 5 years. I don't know how they do it, I bet those dudes are still sitting there to this day just wasting away.

If you have the A+ already just embellish your resume a bit and apply for Desktop Support jobs. You don't wanna do helpdesk unless you absolutely have to.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Helpdesk sucks dikk breh. You sit at a desk all day helping a bunch of entitled fukks who constantly blame you for every single problem they have with their computers. They forget their passwords every 3 days, don't know how to restart their computers, or recover files from the recycling bin.

Helpdesk is literally hell man. I'm lucky I was only there for a few months, some of my co workers were on the helpdesk for over 5 years. I don't know how they do it, I bet those dudes are still sitting there to this day just wasting away.

If you have the A+ already just embellish your resume a bit and apply for Desktop Support jobs. You don't wanna do helpdesk unless you absolutely have to.
What's the difference between Helpdesk & Desktop support again?

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps

My general recommendations are always to skip the CompTIA certs unless you have zero experience/degrees. The knowledge in studying them is valuable but don't think they are worth the money anymore since they expire. I think you are going to get much better return with a CCENT/CCNA or Windows 10 cert.

For your long-term plan, I'd do one of 2 things (or a mixture of the two):
  • Get both MS/Cisco certs and try to get into a MSP. The jobs here suck and don't pay great, but you learn a ton quickly and can then switch jobs after 1-2 years.
  • Focus on one path. The real money comes from specializing in one area

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I took Switch twice last August and failed. I put the book down until June. I would say about 3 months fulltime since June but I went over the material last year as well.

My job pays for the Cisco platinum learning library so I used the Lan switching bootcamp course and the actual Switch course on there, Boson practice tests, and the 3750 config guide.

I work with L3 switches all day at work so that helped a lot as well. Reviewing the 3750 config guide helped the most.
Damn..im not looking forward to this test then as you have some pretty good resources, and still failed it twice :snoop:

KingTut

Daps
Reppin
TX
What's the difference between Helpdesk & Desktop support again?

Helpdesk is where you sit at a desk and answer calls or chats all day and help end users with their issues usually by RDP. Desktop support is where the helpdesk escalate issues that they can't fix themselves i.e. installing software or hardware on computers, fixing printers, etc. so you're not just sitting at a desk all day.

slikkp

Pro
Daps
Damn..im not looking forward to this test then as you have some pretty good resources, and still failed it twice :snoop:

You'll be good just make sure to read the sections of the config guide that map to exam objectives. Use whatever study guide you use for theory but all the requirements/compatibility info is in config guide.

Make sure you hit AAA, port security and SPAN hard.

Billy Preston

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Appreciate the tips bro. When you say embellish on my resume, do u mean add more experience? I already have the A+ and plan to take my Network+ in 3 weeks, but I don't have any actual work experience. Thought about either doing help desk for half a year or taking an entry level tech position at Fryes or some retail spot just to gain to experience. :lupe:

KingTut

Daps
Reppin
TX
Appreciate the tips bro. When you say embellish on my resume, do u mean add more experience? I already have the A+ and plan to take my Network+ in 3 weeks, but I don't have any actual work experience. Thought about either doing help desk for half a year or taking an entry level tech position at Fryes or some retail spot just to gain to experience. :lupe:

I assume since you have the A+ you know how to build/replace parts on a PC and typical stuff like that. On my first help desk resume I put down that I had my own small business where I built PCs and attended to calls to repair home PCs at affordable prices. Basically even if you don't have hands on experience with something but you know you can use it or learn it very quickly just say you have experience in it. I had no experience in Active Directory but claimed it on my resume but they trained us in it anyways.