IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
I assume since you have the A+ you know how to build/replace parts on a PC and typical stuff like that. On my first help desk resume I put down that I had my own small business where I built PCs and attended to calls to repair home PCs at affordable prices. Basically even if you don't have hands on experience with something but you know you can use it or learn it very quickly just say you have experience in it. .

As a hiring manager, any one who puts this on a resume gets :camby: from me by default. Its honestly on 75% of resumes and generally bs. If you put something on a resume be prepared to get grilled on it. If you can't back it up I'm not hiring you. I'd rather hire someone who is honest and seems to care first than lies on a resume. Any decent manager can see through a BS answer very easily.

Last edited:

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX
As a hiring manager, any one who puts this on a resume gets :camby: from me by default. If you put something on a resume be prepared to get grilled on it. If you can't back it up I'm not hiring someone. I'll someone who is honest and seems to care first.

:manny: If I put something on my resume I always make sure I'm prepared to answer questions about it. I guarantee you've been finessed before.

Billy Preston

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As a hiring manager, any one who puts this on a resume gets :camby: from me by default. Its honestly on 75% of resumes and generally bs. If you put something on a resume be prepared to get grilled on it. If you can't back it up I'm not hiring you. I'd rather hire someone who is honest and seems to care first than lies on a resume. Any decent manager can see through a BS answer very easily.

Let's say I have an A+ and Network+, would I even get a call back for a Desktop Support position if you see that I don't have any relevant work experience? I'm confident that I'll handle myself well in the interview, but getting the interview may be my biggest hurdle. :yeshrug:

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Depending on role/level I'm looking to fill, absolutely. Theres a break-even point, but a ton of experience in service desk/desktop is often seen as a negative so it can be generally easy to break in. While I'm usually against them, you should do a targeted cover letter for the jobs you apply for. I'd also switch off Comptia and get certified in W10 and look at staffing agencies to land your first gig.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
:manny: If I put something on my resume I always make sure I'm prepared to answer questions about it. I guarantee you've been finessed before.

Hiring is a big part of my job so I'm not just pulling off questions from a Google search. I specifically align my questions to things I see listed on a resume to see if its fluff or not and probe multiple times to make sure someone isn't just regurgitating buzzwords. The biggest problem is guessing someone's work ethic. That's a crapshoot but technical skills is pretty easy to gauge.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Got a work email about 30 minutes ago, "All teams work from home tomorrow. And don't come in until 11 on Wednesday, when we'll meet up for an announcement." LOL!

I'm glad I started applying already. I have a video interview coming up sometime this week.

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
Depending on role/level I'm looking to fill, absolutely. Theres a break-even point, but a ton of experience in service desk/desktop is often seen as a negative so it can be generally easy to break in. While I'm usually against them, you should do a targeted cover letter for the jobs you apply for. I'd also switch off Comptia and get certified in W10 and look at staffing agencies to land your first gig.

Should I just search local staffing agencies? Or is there like some big well known branch I should be looking into for Help Desk/Desktop Support gigs?

I am targeting pretty much anywhere in the South Florida area.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
R
Should I just search local staffing agencies? Or is there like some big well known branch I should be looking into for Help Desk/Desktop Support gigs?

I am targeting pretty much anywhere in the South Florida area.

Robert Half, Unisys, Teksystems, modis....there's a ton of them and a lot of them sub out to other (smaller) places when they need people. These places are typically body shops so requirements are lower.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
How do you guys handle talks when a salary is not given up front? I had talk with HR and the topic of salary comes up. basically went like this

HR = So what are you looking to make? :shaq:

Me = "I cant put a number to the role this early without really knowing what is expected of me, what is the range for the role? " :troll:

HR = Well we base it off experience:ld:

Me = "I want 120k" :ohlawd:

HR = Its that what your making now? I'll be honest thats more than we are looking to pay right now

Me = So why didnt you tell me the range from the beginning? :dahell:

So yeah basically Im not getting that call back :dead: but why do these guys play games like this? What is a better way to handle this question? I have another call with a different company this week and I feel I always screw this up. Network Engineers in NY must be seriously underpaid or these companies just cheap.

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
Robert Half, Unisys, Teksystems, modis....there's a ton of them and a lot of them sub out to other (smaller) places when they need people. These places are typically body shops so requirements are lower.

Thanks, from what it sounds like, a lot of the entry level stuff is catch 22 but I've been applying anyway.

Hoping to get hired before the year ends to finally start stacking up some much needed experience, then build up my certs, resume, and so on towards my desired IT path.

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
Brehs, do you know of any certification programs or opportunities where you can learn and transition into an IT position? I'm coming from a completely different field, but want to switch over. It's kinda hard to know where to look/start, so I'm mainly asking to see if there are opportunities that could help inform my decision. I recently became unemployed, and I have a bit of savings, so I want to take a little time off and fully focus on something-- if possible.

Any help is appreciated.

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
Brehs, do you know of any certification programs or opportunities where you can learn and transition into an IT position? I'm coming from a completely different field, but want to switch over. It's kinda hard to know where to look/start, so I'm mainly asking to see if there are opportunities that could help inform my decision. I recently became unemployed, and I have a bit of savings, so I want to take a little time off and fully focus on something-- if possible.

Any help is appreciated.

I've been thinking something with cloud computing or Amazon Web Services. I'm not trying to make 6 figures out the gate, I'm just trying to get my foot in the door. An entry level job will be fine and I'll build from there.

Billy Preston

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How do you guys handle talks when a salary is not given up front? I had talk with HR and the topic of salary comes up. basically went like this

HR = So what are you looking to make? :shaq:

Me = "I cant put a number to the role this early without really knowing what is expected of me, what is the range for the role? " :troll:

HR = Well we base it off experience:ld:

Me = "I want 120k" :ohlawd:

HR = Its that what your making now? I'll be honest thats more than we are looking to pay right now

Me = So why didnt you tell me the range from the beginning? :dahell:

So yeah basically Im not getting that call back :dead: but why do these guys play games like this? What is a better way to handle this question? I have another call with a different company this week and I feel I always screw this up. Network Engineers in NY must be seriously underpaid or these companies just cheap.

I've always HATED the salary back and forths cuz it makes it more complicated than it needs to be. I'm like just tell me what the pay rate is and I'll decide if I want to proceed or not.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
How do you guys handle talks when a salary is not given up front?

It's one of the first things I bring up in first contact with a HR recruiter. If I'm out of their price range, why waste everyone's time? I usually ask what the salary range is within 5 mins of talking about a position.