IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest
Anyone doing desktop support? If is tough to get into Desktop if all I have is helpdesk experience? I gotta get out of helpdesk. I've been on nothing but helpdesk roles and while my pockets are straight my mental state isnt:snoop:

Desktop Support is IT purgatory....If you've been in help desk for a while you might need to up your skill set..what interests/certs do you have?

Illmagic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Desktop Support is IT purgatory....If you've been in help desk for a while you might need to up your skill set..what interests/certs do you have?

Damn. If desktop is purgatory then whats helpdesk lol. I got a+ and Security+ ( working on cysa) As far as interest I wanted go in the security side but I down to slow up on that if theres another path to get me off helpdesk.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Brehs I just passed my CCNP Switch exam :wow:.

Gonna chill this weekend and then jump into Route.
Working on Switch right now, passed route a few months ago. shyt was not easy, plenty of trivia questions on shyt you might not use in a work environment much. How long did it take you to prepare for Switch, and what materials did you use?

Billy Preston

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn. If desktop is purgatory then whats helpdesk lol. I got a+ and Security+ ( working on cysa) As far as interest I wanted go in the security side but I down to slow up on that if theres another path to get me off helpdesk.

Bro, I'm actually trying to get into Help Desk lol. Is it as mentally draining as people say it is? I assumed you would be able to get into Desktop Support with the certs u got though. Network+ would probably put u over the top. I have my A+, but I'm studying for Network+ and planning on taking it in 3-4 weeks.

Illmagic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bro, I'm actually trying to get into Help Desk lol. Is it as mentally draining as people say it is? I assumed you would be able to get into Desktop Support with the certs u got though. Network+ would probably put u over the top. I have my A+, but I'm studying for Network+ and planning on taking it in 3-4 weeks.

Its a good start but after you do it for a while it becomes soul crushing. Some are worse then others. The one I'm at now is the best one I've been at. I'm very much overpaid for this role as it's pretty basic. But money aside it's a soul crushing job after a couple years of doing it. Taking calls all day long is mentaly tiring

Billy Preston

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its a good start but after you do it for a while it becomes soul crushing. Some are worse then others. The one I'm at now is the best one I've been at. I'm very much overpaid for this role as it's pretty basic. But money aside it's a soul crushing job after a couple years of doing it. Taking calls all day long is mentaly tiring

Have u been applying for Desk Top Support positions at other places? I feel like with your Help Desk experience plus your A+ and Security + certs, you should be at least getting interviews bro.

Illmagic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Have u been applying for Desk Top Support positions at other places? I feel like with your Help Desk experience plus your A+ and Security + certs, you should be at least getting interviews bro.

I have. Nothing yet. Ive heard having too much helpdesk experience is a bad thing. :to:. Is what it is. Ill keep grindin. When you land your helpdesk role learn as much as you can and after a year start planning an escape no matter what. Learn from my mistakes. I shoulda been more aggressive earlier in my start.

slikkp

Pro
Daps
Working on Switch right now, passed route a few months ago. shyt was not easy, plenty of trivia questions on shyt you might not use in a work environment much. How long did it take you to prepare for Switch, and what materials did you use?

I took Switch twice last August and failed. I put the book down until June. I would say about 3 months fulltime since June but I went over the material last year as well.

My job pays for the Cisco platinum learning library so I used the Lan switching bootcamp course and the actual Switch course on there, Boson practice tests, and the 3750 config guide.

I work with L3 switches all day at work so that helped a lot as well. Reviewing the 3750 config guide helped the most.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps

Help desk roles have you touch more technology and you get to know other IT team members = much better growth potential