IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
I went on umuc and they have a digital media & web technology degree. Is that useless?

I would pick one of these:

Edit:

I pull up bearing gifts. Free SANS certs. Eat, brehs :whoo:
CyberWorkfaceAcademyLogo.png

The SANS Cyber Workforce Academy - Maryland is a three-to-four-month accelerated cybersecurity training program open only to Maryland residents and provides jobseekers with advanced technical training, industry-recognized GIAC certifications and hands-on cyber defense and incident handling skills sought by Maryland employers.

SANS Cyber Workforce Academy - Maryland is funded in part by funds received from EARN Maryland, a Grant program of the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation (DLLR). The Academy will train Maryland residents, with a focus on U.S. Military veterans and women, over the next two years in highly sought-after cybersecurity skills to provide them a pathway into the cybersecurity workforce. EARN Maryland is a state program dedicated to the workforce needs of Maryland's cybersecurity and IT industries.

The Cyber Workforce Academy - Maryland is only open to Maryland residents not currently employed in a cybersecurity or IT related field or transitioning military personnel that are currently stationed in or are permanent residents of Maryland with valid proof of residency

<Links>

Last edited:

Balla

Superstar
Daps

jesc07

Pro
Daps
Ok, I seen one math class when I looked at the subjects, I know for certain universities they want you to take like 3 math classes, so is it different at this school ? And would you recommend working at geek squad for IT experience?

Sure. Any experience will work in your favor. I would imagine geeksquad customers would be a lot more difficult for when you get into the professional environment. You could probably transition into a helpdesk role after that. When I was working at a helpdesk one of the guys hired with me came from Best Buy..

Deus

I'm the REAL Zucotti Manicotti
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kingsbridge
Ok, I seen one math class when I looked at the subjects, I know for certain universities they want you to take like 3 math classes, so is it different at this school ? And would you recommend working at geek squad for IT experience?

Sadly you won't be able to avoid not taking math

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Is math a big deal breaker like that ? I've always been so bad at math and I worry I won't be able to get into IT, and I worry about being a failure. I'm stressed out so much.

Sadly you won't be able to avoid not taking math

Deus

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kingsbridge
Is math a big deal breaker like that ? I've always been so bad at math and I worry I won't be able to get into IT, and I worry about being a failure. I'm stressed out so much.

Don't stress out because it won't help anyway. I'm horrible at math and I work in IT. If you want to get a degree, I recommend going to community college and study study and pass those math classes and then go to UMUC or WGU. Take the math classes that are required on the cheap. It sucks but you just have to power through it.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
I got my AA and already tried stem, and did bad.

:mjcry:

My whole life I finessed math, now I can't do it anymore.

I'm gonna get my bachelor's in anything I can because I can't be paying these loans atm.

I'm deciding right now if I should do the online schooling or getting a master's in something, I'm so lost right now.

Don't stress out because it won't help anyway. I'm horrible at math and I work in IT. If you want to get a degree, I recommend going to community college and study study and pass those math classes and then go to UMUC or WGU. Take the math classes that are required on the cheap. It sucks but you just have to power through it.

Deus

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kingsbridge
I got my AA and already tried stem, and did bad.

:mjcry:

My whole life I finessed math, now I can't do it anymore.

I'm gonna get my bachelor's in anything I can because I can't be paying these loans atm.

I'm deciding right now if I should do the online schooling or getting a master's in something, I'm so lost right now.

Ok, if you have your AA, you can do WGU and not have to take math. Get your B.S I.T and start going out there and looking for jobs

Balla

Superstar
Daps
I saw they have finite math and statistics. Is there a way to avoid that?

Ok, if you have your AA, you can do WGU and not have to take math. Get your B.S I.T and start going out there and looking for jobs

Deus

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kingsbridge
I saw they have finite math and statistics. Is there a way to avoid that?

Your A.A covers all core classes when you transfer. So no math according to my enrollment counselor

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Really? That's weird, that's what I saw on the general courses.

I'll have to call in and ask. If I can do this with zero math classes it will make me very happy.

Thanks bro

Your A.A covers all core classes when you transfer. So no math according to my enrollment counselor

Deus

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kingsbridge
Really? That's weird, that's what I saw on the general courses.

I'll have to call in and ask. If I can do this with zero math classes it will make me very happy.

Thanks bro
If you have an A.A from an accredited school, you dont take general courses if everything matches up. That skips all the general courses stuff. I made sure before I signed up myself. I was not feeling calc or algebra beyond what I took in community college.

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Are there any IT cert programs available online which is self paced and credible?

Thinking about getting into something new and IT caught my eye since I want to get my foot into the tech field.

I'm planning on doing AWS but after doing some research, IT background (even basic stuff) can help out a lot before going into the cloud.

I kind of want to start from the bottom learning basic IT.

Any of you pro IT brehs have any advice and/or point me in the right direction for a newbie?