IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Deus

I'm the REAL Zucotti Manicotti
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kingsbridge
Just got my Sec+ and already have my A+, Net+, MCTS in Windows 7 and a VMware VCP-DCV and it seems that connections matter more than experience and certs but a Bachelors will open the door so I'm taking my A.A and going to WGU to finish up my degree.

Anyone else go to WGU?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
If the overall company score is under 3 then there's something wrong.
Do you factor in # of reviews? I.e a low amount of people that reviewed for a decent sized company could maybe indicate not enough people reviewed to get a good idea?

Also do you feel salary and benefits outweigh any glassdoor red flags (outside of numerous people saying company os going out of business of course).

Balla

Superstar
Daps
What should you do if you don't have a degree in IT or any stem degree, but you want to make a great career out of IT?

I'm planning on just getting certs and learning code, but I worry if that would be enough.

What would be the very first job I could get to get my experience up?

Deus

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kingsbridge
What should you do if you don't have a degree in IT or any stem degree, but you want to make a great career out of IT?

I'm planning on just getting certs and learning code, but I worry if that would be enough.

What would be the very first job I could get to get my experience up?

HelpDesk most likely.

Deus

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kingsbridge
I've looked and some said they want like 5 years experience. This shyt is ridiculous.

I'll keep loooking.

Are you looking for public or private sector jobs. Are you using a recruiter or searching by yourself?

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Man I haven't made consistent OT in forever, shyt is annoying AF.

My first contract had me getting a gang of OT and eating like crazy. Being capped at 40 hours sucks, and kills my gross potential.

Might start looking at SOC positions open 24x7 cause I know they gotta have OT.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Would it be a good idea to work for geek squad? Or should I try something else for experience?

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
You need to go to the sites directly and use more than indeed. Also recruiters can get you into spots that don't advertise online

I might have to follow this advise. I'm almost a year into my current IT job but I'm looking for a job with a shorter commute.

Man I haven't made consistent OT in forever, shyt is annoying AF.

My first contract had me getting a gang of OT and eating like crazy. Being capped at 40 hours sucks, and kills my gross potential.

Might start looking at SOC positions open 24x7 cause I know they gotta have OT.

Do you prefer contract work? I have had a few emails from employers with 6 month contracts.

Do most employers offer little or no insurance with contracts?

Last edited:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Do you prefer contract work? I have had a few emails from employers with 6 month contracts.

Do most employers offer little or no insurance with contracts?
I prefer contract work, usually comes with a higher rate and nowadays most contract companies have insurance you can opt in on.