IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
hit up teksystems.com and ask to speak with Kevin. @Geoffrey_Chaucer put me on to them. there are plenty of IT/CS jobs in Dallas..plenty. you just might need to go thru a recruiter.

@dtownreppin214 @Geoffrey_Chaucer Is this info still good? Is that Kevin dude who I should reach out to? Is he a Breh?

Google is working with community colleges to train future IT professionals

My moms said If I take this course she will pay for it and I can chill at home until Im finished

my question to the guys in IT is this course worth it and will it secure a job

@BrothaZay Did you do the online courses?

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
:snoop:I'm still in the same situation. It's been 2 months since I passed the A+ 901 exam & the Career Navigator/Program Service Coordinator woman still ain't sent me a voucher for the 902 exam. She replied to my email a couple days ago saying I might as well go ahead & pay for the voucher myself because she don't know when she gonna have the voucher ready.

:francis: I might as well start reaching out to the recruiters since I already have Google IT Support cert, a couple MTA certs, & the A+ 901 exam.under my belt. This 2-month wait for each of the A+ vouchers, really fukked up my plans. Back in early April, I wanted to knockout the Net+ by mid-June. I thought I'd have Sec+ by now.

Are you studying for the Net+ right now?

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
:snoop:I'm still in the same situation. It's been 2 months since I passed the A+ 901 exam & the Career Navigator/Program Service Coordinator woman still ain't sent me a voucher for the 902 exam. She replied to my email a couple days ago saying I might as well go ahead & pay for the voucher myself because she don't know when she gonna have the voucher ready.

:francis: I might as well start reaching out to the recruiters since I already have Google IT Support cert, a couple MTA certs, & the A+ 901 exam.under my belt. This 2-month wait for each of the A+ vouchers, really fukked up my plans. Back in early April, I wanted to knockout the Net+ by mid-June. I thought I'd have Sec+ by now.

Never wait for a cert to apply to jobs. You get jobs off knowledge, not certs. The issue is your resume. Add a skills section. Add the objectives (protocols you learned) from the google cert to that section. Apply to every position (especially jr security analyst or jr sysadmin); even if you don't meet the experience requirement. Create another resume for service desk. Apply to everything.

Post a sanitized resume if you want feedback.

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Can you brehs give me your thoughts and advice on my situation and should I move to another state that is more diverse in IT?

Basically I can't get hired any more off of experience, certification, education, customer service and charisma. 97-99% of my interviews are inconsequential behavioral questions. Right now I can't even get a tier 1 help desk position.

Basically my interviews go like this HR reaction/phone interview :gladbron: hiring manager reaction/phone interview :gladbron: onsite interview/ faces :beli::mjpls:

right now I'm in Tennessee, 15+ years in IT with fortune 500 companies, basic certs , right now I am working tier 2 and tier 3/jr admin support.

To me it feel like corporate department segregation.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Can you brehs give me your thoughts and advice on my situation and should I move to another state that is more diverse in IT?

Basically I can't get hired any more off of experience, certification, education, customer service and charisma. 97-99% of my interviews are inconsequential behavioral questions. Right now I can't even get a tier 1 help desk position.

Basically my interviews go like this HR reaction/phone interview :gladbron: hiring manager reaction/phone interview :gladbron: onsite interview/ faces :beli::mjpls:

right now I'm in Tennessee, 15+ years in IT with fortune 500 companies, basic certs , right now I am working tier 2 and tier 3/jr admin support.

To me it feel like corporate department segregation.

Try to look at the contracting game in Huntsville, AL and in Oak Ridge, TN. A lot of government sector jobs there and if you can get on and get a Sec clearance, it will really open up a lot more doors for you regionally.

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Try to look at the contracting game in Huntsville, AL and in Oak Ridge, TN. A lot of government sector jobs there and if you can get on and get a Sec clearance, it will really open up a lot more doors for you regionally.

Yeah that's my down fall I'm disqualified for government service :wow: I have people and relative in Texas and Florida tho

I may have to get out this IT shyt and go into medical or something

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Well what certs do you have, have you tried looking at higher level certs or upping your formal education to get more advanced jobs?

net+ A+ apple, juniper certifications, MTA networking , MCTS etc, that's problems , I get lots of call backs dudes be on that :mjpls: I want to get some cloud certification but hell I can't get a basic entry job these days

My career goal is to work for self, I just trying to work and save...... this corporate IT shyt isn't for me,

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
net+ A+ apple, juniper certifications, MTA networking , MCTS etc, that's problems , I get lots of call backs dudes be on that :mjpls: I want to get some cloud certification but hell I can't get a basic entry job these days

My career goal is to work for self, I just trying to work and save...... this corporate IT shyt isn't for me,
You shouldn't even be applying to entry level jobs, you are over qualified.
If you do want entry, change you resume to remove half the shyt you have and look like an ideal candidate for an entry position.

What specialization are you looking at?

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
You shouldn't even be applying to entry level jobs, you are over qualified.
If you do want entry, change you resume to remove half the shyt you have and look like an ideal candidate for an entry position.

What specialization are you looking at?

Okay I will try that, basically here there are more mid level temporary position than permanent entry level, right now I need something permanent.

Before the layoff some years ago, my specialization was in server administration. Data center admin

right now i'm doing IT support, I really want get back into servers and get some wmware cloud certs

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Okay I will try that, basically here there are more mid level temporary position than permanent entry level, right now I need something permanent.

Before the layoff some years ago, my specialization was in server administration. Data center admin

right now i'm doing IT support, I really want get back into servers and get some wmware cloud certs
Yeah try to tailor your resume for specific jobs.
So for advance IT support jobs have one, for server jobs have one tailored specifically for that.
That helped me a lot.

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Yeah try to tailor your resume for specific jobs.
So for advance IT support jobs have one, for server jobs have one tailored specifically for that.
That helped me a lot.

Okay

Question are you changing your job title and deleting skills and duties?-
------------------------

Never mind I got it ,,, thanks

Last edited:

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
This OSCP ting is pretty smooth so far.

Some tough parts like programming a buffer overflow in C.

But besides that, easy going.

Not started the labs yet. Just the course work :francis:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Never wait for a cert to apply to jobs. You get jobs off knowledge, not certs. The issue is your resume. Add a skills section. Add the objectives (protocols you learned) from the google cert to that section. Apply to every position (especially jr security analyst or jr sysadmin); even if you don't meet the experience requirement. Create another resume for service desk. Apply to everything.

Post a sanitized resume if you want feedback.
Anybody got a good IT resume template?