IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
How much weight yall put on glassdoor reviews?

I put about 50% in it especially if the reviews are polar opposite. Somebody is lying and I doubt it's the negatives ones :dame:

The rest is how I feel whoever is talking to me and some LinkedIn stalking : I look amongst the former employees to kind of see who had the position before / see how much turnover is going on :troll:

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Thing is I don't know what companies are exactly hiring, I guess I could just look up known companies or something.

You need to go to the sites directly and use more than indeed. Also recruiters can get you into spots that don't advertise online

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Do you factor in # of reviews? I.e a low amount of people that reviewed for a decent sized company could maybe indicate not enough people reviewed to get a good idea?

Also do you feel salary and benefits outweigh any glassdoor red flags (outside of numerous people saying company os going out of business of course).
A company has to have more than just a couple of reviews for their Glassdoor profile to be useful. Of the bad reviews, how frequent are they? Also, how recent are the reviews? The way things move where I work, a review from like 2016 or earlier is almost useless.

In the end, it depends on how badly you want out of where you are. Going into a not-so-great environment might be okay for a while, especially if you hate where you were. Or if the new gig will give you experience in something you're interested in.

Deus

I'm the REAL Zucotti Manicotti
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kingsbridge
Thing is I don't know what companies are exactly hiring, I guess I could just look up known companies or something.
I use Wikipedia for major cities and look for top employers, Glassdoor, zip recruiter, and county websites for example, Duval county

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
Need some advice.

I’m like two semesters away from finishing my MIS degree but with my current job it’s no way I can complete it because some classes you have to attend in person there’s no online. I could switch to professional studies with a concentration in IT because that’s strictly online but I don’t know if that degree really holds any weight. I could transfer my credits to WGU and just go with a bachelor in it or security and networking. My plan is to end up with some type of degree in it plus certs but I don’t want to finish with professional studies in it if that won’t really help me.

Deus

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kingsbridge
Need some advice.

I’m like two semesters away from finishing my MIS degree but with my current job it’s no way I can complete it because some classes you have to attend in person there’s no online. I could switch to professional studies with a concentration in IT because that’s strictly online but I don’t know if that degree really holds any weight. I could transfer my credits to WGU and just go with a bachelor in it or security and networking. My plan is to end up with some type of degree in it plus certs but I don’t want to finish with professional studies in it if that won’t really help me.

Don't do the Professional Studies. No one really knows what that is. Check with your manager to see if there is anything they can do or transfer to WGU

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Need some advice.

Last edited:

Balla

Superstar
Daps
I went on umuc and they have a digital media & web technology degree. Is that useless?

Make sure the school is accredited. University of Houston-Downtown will let you transfer up to 90 hours. University of Maryland-University College has a lot of IT degrees to choose from. Both schools allow you to finish your degree online. I recommend UMUC.

Deus

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kingsbridge
I went on umuc and they have a digital media & web technology degree. Is that useless?

Depends on the job position you want
I want to be a system administrator or higher, that degree would do nothing for me. That sounds like a degree a social media manager would get and at $294 per credit for in state students.

I'm not sure it's a good deal