IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

J Money

No weapon formed against me shall prosper
Daps
Experience trumps all. You do whatever you can to get it whether it be university or certs. Once you have solid experience certs dont matter. Most of the people in this thread are trying to get experience.

I hear that breh. Thanks a lot for the advice definitely gonna make sure i get a good placement on my internship year :salute:

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Why my title say Architect :damn::huhldup:

@J Money apply for entry level IT/computer lab positions; at school, asap. Get a cert or learn to code. Use that exp. and skill to get a better position after 6 months to a year.

Last edited:
Daps
Asking again b/c I have a friend who suggested this: Should I go for four-year degree for MIS or two-year degree + Certs + entry level job? He suggested the two year and then if I wanted to go back, get the four year. Thinking of doing security and business analyst, based on the career paths I'm looking at.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Asking again b/c I have a friend who suggested this: Should I go for four-year degree for MIS or two-year degree + Certs + entry level job? He suggested the two year and then if I wanted to go back, get the four year. Thinking of doing security and business analyst, based on the career paths I'm looking at.
What do YOU WANT TO DO?
What is your goal professionally?

Daps
What do YOU WANT TO DO?
What is your goal professionally?

security analyst and business analyst - one or the other, or if they overlap, I want to have the skills to do both.
Don't really have one really, I would just like to get my foot in and keep moving up. I want to be able to live comfortably and I'm willing to work for it.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
security analyst and business analyst - one or the other, or if they overlap, I want to have the skills to do both.
Don't really have one really, I would just like to get my foot in and keep moving up. I want to be able to live comfortably and I'm willing to work for it.
IF your goal is to be just an analyst, you might have a better ROI getting a 2 year degree with certs and experience now.
If you have aspirations for management or project lead positions a 4 year degree will eventually be needed or will greatly aid you ingetting to where you want to go.

Stone

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Got to get on my grind and stop making excuses when it comes to getting this done. Stuck in a ice delivery job right now that's been hell on my body and looking to get out soon.

Already finished the Exam cram 901-902 book. just gotta schedule a test date and start applying for jobs

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Got to get on my grind and stop making excuses when it comes to getting this done. Stuck in a ice delivery job right now that's been hell on my body and looking to get out soon.

Already finished the Exam cram 901-902 book. just gotta schedule a test date and start applying for jobs
Wish the best for you man. Its an enjoyable field and you'll get a lot from it if you have a natural curiosity and want to learn.

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.
How do you guys go about applying for internal positions? There’s a Junior IT Business Analyst positioning that’s open at my job and i just applied for it.

Should i reach out to HR/recruiter about my interest in the position?