IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
Been at my IT job fof 6 months already, but I want to make more money. I still have no certs but should I study for the A+ still or move to another cert to study?

JayStarwind

Superstar
Daps
Almost been a year since I've been at this job. I think I'm ready to venture off somewhere else. My life literally feels like

tumblr_inline_nb8wisIa4c1rhkoxp.gif

Dont know what steps to take though since I want to move more into SysAdmin or more into a IT Analyst role to sharpen my skills, but my only experience is in QA/Production Support.

I'm finally going to take the A+ next month. Havent applied yet anywhere since I'm modifying my resume right now.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Been at my IT job fof 6 months already, but I want to make more money. I still have no certs but should I study for the A+ still or move to another cert to study?
Nah, if you have experience in the field, you can probably skip A+ and Net+ and go for your Sec+.

Almost been a year since I've been at this job. I think I'm ready to venture off somewhere else. My life literally feels like

tumblr_inline_nb8wisIa4c1rhkoxp.gif

Dont know what steps to take though since I want to move more into SysAdmin or more into a IT Analyst role to sharpen my skills, but my only experience is in QA/Production Support.

I'm finally going to take the A+ next month. Havent applied yet anywhere since I'm modifying my resume right now.
What do you do now?
If you are already in IT, might be better off looking at some MCSE or MCSA certs if you want to go the Sys Admin route.
Microsoft TEchnet has some great virtual machine labs that you can play with and if you start feeling comfortable you could probably write that off as having experience with certain MS server compoenant. Worked for me. As long as you know how to actually perform you should be good.

BVII

Pro
Daps
How hard is the Security+ exam? I'm thinking about just taking the exam after studying over a weekend.

BVII

Pro
Daps
depends on your experience and your ability to memorize things quickly.
From what I've seen in helping people study 501 is a lot easier than 401.
401 is very close to CySA+
I have taken numerous college classes around security, job training around security, and I'm currently working on a security team. I think I should be good, but I might pay for the exam with the retake included just to be safe.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I have taken numerous college classes around security, job training around security, and I'm currently working on a security team also. I think I should be good, but I might pay for the exam with retake included just to be safe.
You might want to go over a 501 book, just so you know what they are testing on and brush up on areas you might be weak on but taking the exam with the retake isn't a bad idea.
I wish you the best of luck on the test man.

I believe I have a 501 book, if you want it let me know, send me a PM and I'll get back to you.