IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Brehs, I need some serious answers here. My boy is trying to get me into his consulting company. I would be doing a lot of cloud computing etc. but he is literally pushing for me to get me in. Literally had to have several conversations with his higher ups about getting me in. It's a growing consulting. Should I even accept the job if they hire me?

I don't like the idea of someone pushing for me to get into a gig. It brings a lot of uncertainty.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Brehs, I need some serious answers here. My boy is trying to get me into his consulting company. I would be doing a lot of cloud computing etc. but he is literally pushing for me to get me in. Literally had to have several conversations with his higher ups about getting me in. It's a growing consulting. Should I even accept the job if they hire me?

I don't like the idea of someone pushing for me to get into a gig. It brings a lot of uncertainty.
What is it you don't like?
IF you can do the job, it offers you the avenue to grow professionally and technically and it meets your financial needs, what is there to be weary of or dislike?

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
What is it you don't like?
IF you can do the job, it offers you the avenue to grow professionally and technically and it meets your financial needs, what is there to be weary of or dislike?

I just don't like the fact that he had to vouch for me so much. So I was thinking of cancelling it. They were hesitant at first( I lack cloud computing/cloud security experience despite having the certs etc.) so my resume stalled when H.R pushed it to the consulting guys. So he went back spoke to his boss and others and they literally asked me if he vouches for me etc. and my boy said yes...So his boss is going back to talk to the head of the other groups and should be calling me soon. That's really what I am weary about. They didn't see my resume and jump at the chance of bringing me in.

My friend told me within 6 month, I can leave and make even more bread elsewhere.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Considering Management Information Systems for when I go back to schools, brehs. I'm not great at math, though. Is there a ton of math or? Is it worth it? I just want a good career. I'm looking into it now
Yeah there is a bit of math in the finance classes and statistics, but nothing you should not be able to do with hard work. The great thing about math is its all effort, the process is the same, its all process oriented.

It might now be worth it now, but with more time in the field and your more advanced certs your BS and MS will get you into the management positions where those with just experience and certs might be limited to just technical roles.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I just don't like the fact that he had to vouch for me so much. So I was thinking of cancelling it. They were hesitant at first( I lack cloud computing/cloud security experience despite having the certs etc.) so my resume stalled when H.R pushed it to the consulting guys. So he went back spoke to his boss and others and they literally asked me if he vouches for me etc. and my boy said yes...So his boss is going back to talk to the head of the other groups and should be calling me soon. That's really what I am weary about. They didn't see my resume and jump at the chance of bringing me in.

My friend told me within 6 month, I can leave and make even more bread elsewhere.
You remind me a bit of myself when I was younger. I thought my skills should get me everywhere and people should recongize that and want me for what I can prove.

That isn't the case, althought ideally we hope it is.

You get by in this world on connections and opportunities, your boy has given you a great opportunity. The only reason I would be hesitant is if you think you can not do the job at all. If you know you are going to go in there, work your ass off and exceede expectations, have no worry, just accept you have be afforded a opportunity to prove yourself and run with it.

You have a good friend by the way, he is putting himself out there for you like that. Don't be afriad of the opportunity though, and if you are uses that fear and apprehension as motivation to knock it out. Don't run away from opportunity, god knows when you might get another one