IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Anyone got the Cysa+? Im looking for good study material. I got my Sec+ but I lm still stuck on the help desk :francis:. ( I need guidence on getting out of help desk too) So I still dont have any real world experience in security so I need really good stuff to break it down.
I have it, I have a few books pm me and I'll send them to you.

As for getting out of help desk roles, try to reach out to people who work with you on different teams and see if you can come in early or stay late to start learning what they do.
On top of that try to look for more advanced certs.
Another good tool is to look for jobs you want, and look at the qualificatiosn and try to get the certs or the software they want you to have used and get experience playing with the software during your down time.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I have it, I have a few books pm me and I'll send them to you.

As for getting out of help desk roles, try to reach out to people who work with you on different teams and see if you can come in early or stay late to start learning what they do.
On top of that try to look for more advanced certs.
Another good tool is to look for jobs you want, and look at the qualificatiosn and try to get the certs or the software they want you to have used and get experience playing with the software during your down time.
Let me hold them books too breh:feedme:

Daps
Not even a year in and another raise. I got moved over to the main contract company and they are giving me 50k salary with benefits:blessed:. That being said I got selected for an internship only paying $13/hr :hhh: but I get a top secret out of it.

I'm shook as fukk though about this TS investigation:mjcry:. I got a lot of shyt that don't look too good so I'm hoping the adjudicator let's a brotha slide. If so ain't NO STOPPING ME.

Daps
Considering Management Information Systems for when I go back to schools, brehs. I'm not great at math, though. Is there a ton of math or? Is it worth it? I just want a good career. I'm looking into it now

Clocian

Rookie
Daps
Considering Management Information Systems for when I go back to schools, brehs. I'm not great at math, though. Is there a ton of math or? Is it worth it? I just want a good career. I'm looking into it now

Have you completed any college?

I graduate in may with my associates in Computer Information Systems, and then I move into Management Information Systems when I transfer. If you like technology and business you may like it. I've only taken one math class and that's all I need for my bachelors. When it comes to info systems and math, it's not necessarily about solving math problems, but rather being able to problem solve in general when it comes to business and programming.

I will say though, that before going back to school, make sure you have a reason for going besides getting a paper for more money, and be wise with your money. Don't go into dept. Save up, and pay out of pocket, look for grants, scholarships, work-study programs etc. Avoid loans

Daps
Have you completed any college?

I graduate in may with my associates in Computer Information Systems, and then I move into Management Information Systems when I transfer. If you like technology and business you may like it. I've only taken one math class and that's all I need for my bachelors. When it comes to info systems and math, it's not necessarily about solving math problems, but rather being able to problem solve in general when it comes to business and programming.

I will say though, that before going back to school, make sure you have a reason for going besides getting a paper for more money, and be wise with your money. Don't go into dept. Save up, and pay out of pocket, look for grants, scholarships, work-study programs etc. Avoid loans

Got my English bachelors degree. I been out two years and quickly learned that it's a fine degree, but not great. Wanted to combine it with something that I can get a career with (I'm 25, so I might be a bit too late here).

I'm hoping my job can pay for some, if not, most of my school, since they do have a program for paying for school and it does fall into that business-like category. I'm planning on going to a two-year program and then transfer to a bigger school on the West Coast. You right about debt and stuff, though. I need to keep saving up. You got any tips/ideas on where I can find some grants and stuff?

Also :salute: for the answer back.

Clocian

Rookie
Daps
Got my English bachelors degree. I been out two years and quickly learned that it's a fine degree, but not great. Wanted to combine it with something that I can get a career with (I'm 25, so I might be a bit too late here).

I'm hoping my job can pay for some, if not, most of my school, since they do have a program for paying for school and it does fall into that business-like category. I'm planning on going to a two-year program and then transfer to a bigger school on the West Coast. You right about debt and stuff, though. I need to keep saving up. You got any tips/ideas on where I can find some grants and stuff?

Also :salute: for the answer back.

Not too late. I'm 28.
That would be dope if your job pays for some of your tuition. I work for Amazon, and they pay 95% of my tuition each semester, which leaves me only having to pay $100.
As far as grants, etc. Google my breh lol. Check out the school's website as well as they should have a page for stuff they offer.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Not even a year in and another raise. I got moved over to the main contract company and they are giving me 50k salary with benefits:blessed:. That being said I got selected for an internship only paying $13/hr :hhh: but I get a top secret out of it.

I'm shook as fukk though about this TS investigation:mjcry:. I got a lot of shyt that don't look too good so I'm hoping the adjudicator let's a brotha slide. If so ain't NO STOPPING ME.

Sounds like BS now, but get that TS, that can take you from 50k to 75k minimum with the same certs.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: .r.