IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Vodun

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Prime creator
I'll just started my networking classes at my community college. Hoping when I'm done to take the Cisco exam to get that cert

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I'll just started my networking classes at my community college. Hoping when I'm done to take the Cisco exam to get that cert
good job man. Networking can get you easy 90k if you have a clean record. when you get close to taking the test at the end of the class, start floating your resume to federal contractors.
Oh yeah, they are starting to take Juniper Certs as well, if you add that Juniper cert to your Cisco, you should be straight.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Just got my CCNA Security very on Saturday brehs.
Congrats man, you gonna eventually target the CCNP?

Just git my security + on saturday. Any tips on what my next move should be. Im in DC and have a secret clearance

Try to find a job that will sponsor you for TS. Check Ft. Meade area for DISA jobs, most of them, especially data center will get you a T-5 clearance even if you only are cleared for secret.

Also now its time to look at specialization, you want to go security/IA/ISSO route (big money here, especially if you can get into DIACAP or RMF), routing/networking, sys admin. You are in the right place though, keep your record clean and you'll be in the 6 figure club in 2 - 3 years.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Brehs can yall give me advice on how yall broke into IT im in the Raleigh, North carolina area it seems all the entry level jobs want 1-3 years experience :why:
You have any HBCUs around your area? Try to work as IT there at a entry level. You might not need your A+ and if you like it, you might be able to jump to studying for your Sec+. You main thing is going to be experience, so you can look at geek squad, your local tech businesses, and the colleges in the area. Network and talk to people as well, plus start fukking with computers and your OS seriously to familiarize yourself with what you will be doing. At your level the main thing isn't going to be technical expertise, but customer service and communication. Don't sleep on those soft skills though, you develop those and they'll be lifesavers for you when you advance, if this is there field you want to make a career out of.

Its pretty vague shyt, but thats just general advice. Study and do what it takes to enter the field and start getting yoru feet wet.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
My professor full of shyt, a month later and he still ain't got the vouchers :heh:

About to buy this shyt myself, knock it out in July and then get ready for.......

CISSP

giphy.gif

Vodun

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Prime creator
good job man. Networking can get you easy 90k if you have a clean record. when you get close to taking the test at the end of the class, start floating your resume to federal contractors.
Oh yeah, they are starting to take Juniper Certs as well, if you add that Juniper cert to your Cisco, you should be straight.
How is the Cisco exam by the way and is thr juniper hard to get?

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
My wife took the A+ exam(s) twice and the first time failed by 20 points but retried it today and failed by a "worse" score. Any recommendations on study books, websites, practice exams, etc? She's really feeling a bit down about it.

CompTIA A+ 220-901 Exam Sample |

These are on point. If she has taken it twice these questions should look familiar.

Let me know what she thinks about these

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
My wife took the A+ exam(s) twice and the first time failed by 20 points but retried it today and failed by a "worse" score. Any recommendations on study books, websites, practice exams, etc? She's really feeling a bit down about it.
Been a while, but make sure when she studies she is focusing more on knowledge than studying to pass the test. I always used the all-in-one books personally, just for the info overload.

How is the Cisco exam by the way and is thr juniper hard to get?

CCNA was diffcult for me in the practical side, I asked theoretical, but because I never used switches or routers the sims and practical stuff killed me. Its easy enough though, just make sure you get a routing simulator and work work work on using it and getting familiar with the Cisco cli and you should be alright, especially if you are good and comfortable with routing and switching.

Juniper is an easier exam, 65 questions, I believe they are more targeted at using their cli. A couple of guys in the network dept where I'm at got their foot in the door with Juniper and then later on got their cisco, so now they have certs for both and are moving on.

Vodun

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Prime creator
Been a while, but make sure when she studies she is focusing more on knowledge than studying to pass the test. I always used the all-in-one books personally, just for the info overload.

CCNA was diffcult for me in the practical side, I asked theoretical, but because I never used switches or routers the sims and practical stuff killed me. Its easy enough though, just make sure you get a routing simulator and work work work on using it and getting familiar with the Cisco cli and you should be alright, especially if you are good and comfortable with routing and switching.

Juniper is an easier exam, 65 questions, I believe they are more targeted at using their cli. A couple of guys in the network dept where I'm at got their foot in the door with Juniper and then later on got their cisco, so now they have certs for both and are moving on.
Thanks man mind if I pm if I have any more questions?