IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

The Minister Of Culture

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You have any HBCUs around your area? Try to work as IT there at a entry level. You might not need your A+ and if you like it, you might be able to jump to studying for your Sec+. You main thing is going to be experience, so you can look at geek squad, your local tech businesses, and the colleges in the area. Network and talk to people as well, plus start fukking with computers and your OS seriously to familiarize yourself with what you will be doing. At your level the main thing isn't going to be technical expertise, but customer service and communication. Don't sleep on those soft skills though, you develop those and they'll be lifesavers for you when you advance, if this is there field you want to make a career out of.

Its pretty vague shyt, but thats just general advice. Study and do what it takes to enter the field and start getting yoru feet wet.

:salute:

Thanks breh

Now for customer service kills and etc I do have 6 years of front desk experience working at a hospital helping those who come up and etc would that count?

The Minister Of Culture

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You have any HBCUs around your area? Try to work as IT there at a entry level. You might not need your A+ and if you like it, you might be able to jump to studying for your Sec+. You main thing is going to be experience, so you can look at geek squad, your local tech businesses, and the colleges in the area. Network and talk to people as well, plus start fukking with computers and your OS seriously to familiarize yourself with what you will be doing. At your level the main thing isn't going to be technical expertise, but customer service and communication. Don't sleep on those soft skills though, you develop those and they'll be lifesavers for you when you advance, if this is there field you want to make a career out of.

Its pretty vague shyt, but thats just general advice. Study and do what it takes to enter the field and start getting yoru feet wet.

Thanks breh

Now for customer service kills and etc I do have 6 years of front desk experience working at a hospital helping those who come up and etc would that count?

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Thanks man mind if I pm if I have any more questions?
I don't mind , if I can help I will

Thanks breh

It will help you with dealing with people, don't think it will help a great deal on the resume, but you as you as you advance professionally.
Too many people in this field have horrible customer service experience.

Daps
Congrats man, you gonna eventually target the CCNP?

Try to find a job that will sponsor you for TS. Check Ft. Meade area for DISA jobs, most of them, especially data center will get you a T-5 clearance even if you only are cleared for secret.

Also now its time to look at specialization, you want to go security/IA/ISSO route (big money here, especially if you can get into DIACAP or RMF), routing/networking, sys admin. You are in the right place though, keep your record clean and you'll be in the 6 figure club in 2 - 3 years.
Not sure yet. I’m actually working in voice right now and intend to specialize there. Working on my CCNA Collaboraton. Jumped on the security cert because one of my coworkers recorded his bootcamp material. I did it for the free cert and bonus at work.

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
Passed my CompTIA 901 exam Today!!!!

Starting my studying for 902 as I type this.

The exam was confusing at times. Gotta know your shyt forward and backwards. And be ready for your knowledge to be tested with situational questions that are confusing.
what did you use to study with

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
what did you use to study with

Read 3 books(for in-depth info on the topics).

Professor Messer videos. Study Guide PDF I have. Many many different practice question websites(I'll add these later when I get time).

The questions weren't hard per se. Just confusing at times and needed to be thought through. The simulations I had were exact ones I seen online.

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
Read 3 books(for in-depth info on the topics).

Professor Messer videos. Study Guide PDF I have. Many many different practice question websites(I'll add these later when I get time).

The questions weren't hard per se. Just confusing at times and needed to be thought through. The simulations I had were exact ones I seen online.
please pm the material you have breh

.r.

Veteran
Daps
Anyone here apply for Federal positions, how long did you wait for a reply?