IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
You did course 5 yet? What scripting language did they teach in that course?

I don't see much similarity between command line scripting and object oriented programming like Ruby.
In fact In Course 2 a lot of is all about command line in windows and Linux so you should fly through that.
So the fact that they have an entire separate course just for Ruby should let you know.

I find it odd as well because google doesn't even use Ruby in-house. But honestly all those OOP languages use similar syntax. So going to C or java or python shouldn't be a hassle

They dropped course 5 from the Google IT Support certificate program a couple weeks ago:

FAQ Google IT Support Versioning Update

Google IT Support Professional Certificate Updates - May 21, 2018

We’re excited to announce that an updated version of the Google IT Support Professional Certificate is now available!

Starting May 21, 2018, Course 5 — IT Automation: It’s not that scary! — is no longer a requirement to complete the certificate program. This is because we’ve heard from learners and employers that automation is not typically required for entry-level IT Support roles. As such, you will not need to complete the automation course to earn the certificate. You now only need to successfully complete the other five courses to finish the program.

J Money

No weapon formed against me shall prosper
Daps
Brehs I need some help, im looking to start a career in cyber security, ive decided to enroll into college starting in September. If you want to get into that area, do you need to do a certain degree? I know a few people do Computer Science but one of the degrees i may choose is Bsc Cyber Security Management, will that get me into the door? Or possibly Bsc Cyber Security & Foresnic Science, does it matter which one I do?

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Brehs I need some help, im looking to start a career in cyber security, ive decided to enroll into college starting in September. If you want to get into that area, do you need to do a certain degree? I know a few people do Computer Science but one of the degrees i may choose is Bsc Cyber Security Management, will that get me into the door? Or possibly Bsc Cyber Security & Foresnic Science, does it matter which one I do?

Hopefully someone helps you out I got my degree in computer networking systems . . .I remember my adviser telling me of a major at my school for what you are asking but it wasn't a major exactly more a certificate type of program . .

here it is

Cybersecurity Certificate

• IT 1050 Fundamentals of Information Technology
  • IT 1081C System Administration

• IT 2030C Information Security and Assurance
  • CJ 1001 Introduction to Criminal Justice

• CJ 4020 Criminal Procedures
  • POL 2035 Cybersecurity Strategy and Policy

• POL 5035C Cyberattack Red Team Collaborative Seminar (capstone)
Career Possibilities
Graduates of this certificate may pursue careers in fields including:

• Government agencies, including the Justice Department, the National Security Agency, and Department of State
  • Law
  • Criminal justice
  • State, local and federal government
  • Non-governmental organizations
  • Intelligence
  • Internet Development
  • Military
  • Business and financial services
hopefully someone provides you with a better answer . . I'm just providing what little I was told

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps

Do you have any kind of IT background?

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Not really breh,

Do you already have a degree in something? Speaking from my experience most of the people I've worked with did not have a degree in IT/CS(business, civil engineering, accounting, etc). A lot of Cyber Security jobs are going to want someone who has(hard to protect something that you know nothing about). It's going to be hard getting in without any experience. My advice is if you have a degree already see if you can get an entry level IT position and then work on getting some experience there and eventually work your way into security. If you don't have a degree, look at the courses offered by both and see what interests you the most.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Officially Google Cloud Certified. Might say fukk it, ride the high and take the Data Engineer this week to:obama:.

CISSP-Associate of (isc)^2
CCSP- Associate of (isc)^2
AWS Certified Solutions Architect
Google Cloud Certified
Six Sigma Green Belt Certified
:whew:. Added more credentials and will now reapply to the companies I wanted to get into. I got an interview in two weeks on the west coast but I love my current city. Great Company too but the city is just not for me. I will be dealing with being a token everywhere I go.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Officially Google Cloud Certified. Might say fukk it, ride the high and take the Data Engineer this week to:obama:.

CISSP-Associate of (isc)^2
CCSP- Associate of (isc)^2
AWS Certified Solutions Architect
Google Cloud Certified
Six Sigma Green Belt Certified
:whew:. Added more credentials and will now reapply to the companies I wanted to get into. I got an interview in two weeks on the west coast but I love my current city. Great Company too but the city is just not for me. I will be dealing with being a token everywhere I go.

Got damn you better be clearing 150k base

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Got damn you better be clearing 150k base

I wish :mjcry: but that's the goal. I have been working on back bone network infrastructure Engineering (inside and out) for the past 5 years. Same job out of college(mistake number #1). My company has pushed us to learn about the Cloud, Big Data and Cyber Security since I genuinely enjoy the subject I did. When I got rejected by the top companies I wanted, I said fukk it and went back to the drawing to add more to my credentials hence why I have been so aggressive studying. Rejection motivated me lol Once I get the Data Engineer cert completed, I will start applying again.

The company interviewing me on the West Coast sought me out so it's a good thing but I know I won't be happy with my life.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I wish :mjcry: but that's the goal. I have been working on back bone network infrastructure Engineering (inside and out) for the past 5 years. Same job out of college(mistake number #1). My company has pushed us to learn about the Cloud, Big Data and Cyber Security since I genuinely enjoy the subject I did. When I got rejected by the top companies I wanted, I said fukk it and went back to the drawing to add more to my credentials hence why I have been so aggressive studying. Rejection motivated me lol Once I get the Data Engineer cert completed, I will start applying again.

The company interviewing me on the West Coast sought me out so it's a good thing but I know I won't be happy with my life.

Why won't you be happy?

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Blacks are the extreme minority lol. Plus I am happy where I am at.

If you're referring to the area then I completely understand. I wouldn't want to put myself in that situation either. Maybe just interview and if you get it use it to get more money with your current company.

Buggsy Mogues

My spot is solidified if you ask me
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City of Angels :blessed:
What's the play here brehs for someone coming in with no IT experience whatsoever (my current job, I've done some very very basic troubleshooting for our small staff since we don't have any in-house IT, so I could stretch on the resume and say I have 3 years of "help desk" experience).

I'm doing the Google IT thing now. My idea after that is to stack the basic certs (A+, Security, Network) and then start applying for entry to mid level jobs, and try to get on with one that will pay toward tuition for my Bachelors, which I would try to do somewhere online while working.

Is that a reasonable goal? Should I try for the Bachelors first? I currently am working full-time, but have a desk job where I have a lot of free time to study. Just not sure if it makes more sense right now to devote that time to a Bachelors, or the certs, which I could obviously do a lot quicker.

Last edited: