IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
Decided in my spare time since I'm damn near done adding to my smart mirror, go ahead and learn to write some cool scripts that could benefit me and limits the clicks

Last edited:

Billy Preston

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anyone in here who works or has worked Desktop Support? I'm interested in going into this after my current job and I was wondering if anyone could give insight into the job?

What line of work are you in right now? I have my A+ from years ago (did nothing with it) and I'm studying to get my Network+ and then I'm going to start applying for Desktop Support roles. I could use more hands on practice so I may take an A+ course at my local community college.

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
What line of work are you in right now? I have my A+ from years ago (did nothing with it) and I'm studying to get my Network+ and then I'm going to start applying for Desktop Support roles. I could use more hands on practice so I may take an A+ course at my local community college.
I work tech support for various ISP's and different assisted living facilities across the country pay isn't good but I'm logging the experience

BVII

Pro
Daps
Is 6 months too early to be looking for a new job?

The reason why I'm asking is because I graduated from college in December and I accepted an offer for a rotational program. I started the program in January and I was placed in a role that I feel like my skills are going to waste. I've been in my role for a couple months now and I honestly don't like it.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Is 6 months too early to be looking for a new job?

The reason why I'm asking is because I graduated from college in December and I accepted an offer for a rotational program. I started the program in January and I was placed in a role that I feel like my skills are going to waste. I've been in my role for a couple months now and I honestly don't like it.
I probably wouldn't list something you dont have at least a year at on your resume

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The company I work for has a small 10 person office in Europe. So, a few days ago the HR director asked me what they should do about GDPR for sending and receiving employee data. And she wants the info tomorrow.

I'm not even sure what the hell. I feel like the question is above my pay grade because I'm Help Desk. They only things I know are: HR uses Greenhouse. and we don't have a data retention policy because our tier of G-Suite doesn't support it.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
The company I work for has a small 10 person office in Europe. So, a few days ago the HR director asked me what they should do about GDPR for sending and receiving employee data. And she wants the info tomorrow.

I'm not even sure what the hell. I feel like the question is above my pay grade because I'm Help Desk. They only things I know are: HR uses Greenhouse. and we don't have a data retention policy because our tier of G-Suite doesn't support it.
They need to hire some lawyers and security compliance people or at least reach out to the companies that handle your data and see what they say.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Any brehs with RHCEs or DevOps in here?
I’m working towards a devops role, I don’t hold a RHCE and don’t find it necessary to work in devops although it wouldn’t hurt to have a thorough understanding of the Linux OS. RHCE is geared more towards Linux system admins

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I’m working towards a devops role, I don’t hold a RHCE and don’t find it necessary to work in devops although it wouldn’t hurt to have a thorough understanding of the Linux OS. RHCE is geared more towards Linux system admins
I wanna get a devops role. Studying for my RHCSA as we speak. Hope to take the test in July or something.

Trying to get get into a devops role and curious about what skills I need. Tho from what I see you need at least the following skills

• Solid knowledge of Linux/Unix platforms
  • Solid knowledge of Configuration Management tools (Puppet, Ansible, Chef, etc)
  • Solid knowledge of scripting/programing languages (Ruby, Python, bash, Java, etc)

Let me know if you think theres something missing.:lupe:
I have the Linux part down. I've takrn a class and used Ansible in production environments and am fairly familiar with it. My coworkers think I'm pretty good with it but I'm just pacing myself. I can write Bash scripts tho haven't written anything complex in a while. I'm planning on taking a Python class soon. Already signed up for it

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wanna get a devops role. Studying for my RHCSA as we speak. Hope to take the test in July or something.

Trying to get get into a devops role and curious about what skills I need. Tho from what I see you need at least the following skills

• Solid knowledge of Linux/Unix platforms
  • Solid knowledge of Configuration Management tools (Puppet, Ansible, Chef, etc)
  • Solid knowledge of scripting/programing languages (Ruby, Python, bash, Java, etc)

Let me know if you think theres something missing.:lupe:
I have the Linux part down. I've takrn a class and used Ansible in production environments and am fairly familiar with it. My coworkers think I'm pretty good with it but I'm just pacing myself. I can write Bash scripts tho haven't written anything complex in a while. I'm planning on taking a Python class soon. Already signed up for it
Containerization, CI (Jenkins) and AWS/Azure