IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
So I'm currently on the tail end of a windows 10 migration. Most of my tasks during the migration were reimaging computers, installing software, mapping drives and printers and troubleshooting VPN issues. I also deal with iPhone setup and reconfiguration(fukk iPhones btw)

Currently I do maybe 2 tickets a day. That are the occasional reimage and setting up customers desktops/laptops. Maybe an occasional network drive/printer issue.

I hope I answered you well enough to give you an understanding.

Edit: I'm only making 18/HR but some of my coworkers are making more and there's opportunities for promotion fairly often.
Just to make sure I am correct when you're saying migration does that mean you're updating all computers within your building with Windows 10 software??? EDIT: You did I work tech support for different ISP's working with different issues ranging from fiber,cable, to DSL to email issues as well as working with assisted living facilities across the country.. the pay isn't good but i am getting the experience. We're also taking on a gov't contract soon to do tech support for the USPS

Daps
Just to make sure I am correct when you're saying migration does that mean you're updating all computers within your building with Windows 10 software??? EDIT: You did I work tech support for different ISP's working with different issues ranging from fiber,cable, to DSL to email issues as well as working with assisted living facilities across the country.. the pay isn't good but i am getting the experience. We're also taking on a gov't contract soon to do tech support for the USPS
Yeah. A migration isn't just upgrading the OS. We're also moving the server infrastructure(gpo's, drives, network resources) to server 16.

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.
@EnzoG @MilesTailsPrower

I work desktop support. Let me know what questions you guys have.
man im just trying to get my foot in the door in IT and i don't have any technical professional experience. I'm pretty knowledgeable about computers. How would I go about landing a role in Desktop support or help desk?

Daps
man im just trying to get my foot in the door in IT and i don't have any technical professional experience. I'm pretty knowledgeable about computers. How would I go about landing a role in Desktop support or help desk?
Grab the A+ and put out your resume. After that go for the sec+ and then decide where you want to go. If you want to do server admin go for the mcsa if you want to do networking go for the ccna ect. Keep going for certs until you get a bite.

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.
Grab the A+ and put out your resume. After that go for the sec+ and then decide where you want to go. If you want to do server admin go for the mcsa if you want to do networking go for the ccna ect. Keep going for certs until you get a bite.
What do you think about the Google IT Support Professional Certificate?

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
Working through the google it certificate right now. Finally buckling down and Putting time in everyday..definitely can’t see it taking as long as they say.

I’ve been bullshytting I can’t lie I should’ve been bad my A+ and Network+ but I got sidetracked when I got this new job in 2016. So many gems in this thread I’ve been getting back motivated and reading this helps even more.

princeofhaiti

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DMV
what type of work do you do and how did you get started?
I was previously the single build engineer (imaging replacement machines & new hire machines) for my site of about 5000+ end users. Im moving to advocate role ( similar to the genius bar at apple where users stop by your area with issues and you have 15minutes to solve it). I got started by interning for my church and working part time for NFL 2 years ago.

Spin

All Star
Daps
What do you think about the Google IT Support Professional Certificate?

That Google cert has good information. The hands on labs makes it much more relevant to getting your first IT job. The only issue is the cert is new and hasn't caught on. So while I would say it's better than than the A+, the A+ will look better on your resume for now.

Edit: I would actually skip the A+ and just go for Network +

Last edited:

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
Watched the professor messer videos for the first time all the way through and I have been jotting down notes from my exam cram book and taking the pratice tests on crucial exams and I have been passing them right along with test questions provided by the exam cram cd and I've been passing those as well. I'm legit in my book 3 hours a day. I really want this alot.