IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
A lot of troubleshooting questions and a couple simulations. Know the tcp/ip port numbers by heart. Also the 802.11 wireless frequencies. I didnt get a lot of hardware questions other than printers. I failed my first shot because i overlooked troubleshooting and was focused on memorizing pin counts and shyt then my test ended up being 60% troubleshooting. Passed on the second try. Good luck
you got a link to the the tcp/ip port numbers breh???

The Minister Of Culture

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Brehs I’m in the process of trying to transition from a medical career into IT one I see a lot of the job offerings want a degree should I go with bachelors in computer science or bachelors in cyber security?

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell

common-ports-copia.jpg

Daps
Took first place in MAGIC which is a Cybersecurity capture the flag competition for beginners. I ended up getting the last flag but not gonna lie I got carried HARD by my team. shyt ain't gonna stop me from padding my resume tho:youngsabo: Just wish I would have won before I put in for a bunch of internships.

I also now have the opportunity to move over to the main contracting company that has employee benefits or stay with my current one. I'm going to ask the one I'm with for a raise but if they don't want to pay up I'm out:birdman:. I don't need most of the benefits but they offer tuition assistance and study materials for certs. fukk this desktop support bullshyt. It's up or out for me. :win:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Taking the A+ 901 for the first time on Friday anyone want to give me insight on what the test is like???
Have you bought Mike Meyer practice tests on Udemy? If you haven't, I recommend it. Mike Meyer's A+ practice exams questions are interchangeable with the questions on the real A+ exam.
A lot of troubleshooting questions and a couple simulations. Know the tcp/ip port numbers by heart. Also the 802.11 wireless frequencies. I didnt get a lot of hardware questions other than printers. I failed my first shot because i overlooked troubleshooting and was focused on memorizing pin counts and shyt then my test ended up being 60% troubleshooting. Passed on the second try. Good luck
LMAO, Thank god!!!! In real life, I don't know why anybody would need to know the exact pin count of some damn hardware component. Glad they focused on practical shyt you would need to know on the job or at home.

LOL. This list is overkill for Network+, let alone A+.

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
Have you bought Mike Meyer practice tests on Udemy? If you haven't, I recommend it. Mike Meyer's A+ practice exams questions are interchangeable with the questions on the real A+ exam.

LMAO, Thank god!!!! In real life, I don't know why anybody would need to know the exact pin count of some damn hardware component. Glad they focused on practical shyt you would need to know on the job or at home.

LOL. This list is overkill for Network+, let alone A+.

I know lol. I just have it on my phone and other devices for reference.

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
31760138_10155623605347239_1344249730569338880_n.jpg
I wrote down these ports to memorize( forgive me for the crappy handwriting lol) would this be a clear example of port numbers that I would need to get familiar with

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
So I got a conditional offer letter on Tuesday for a lead Applications Analyst role...this position had an 8 week hiring process...it was unbelievable lol. They are in the process of doing my background checks. If that pans out and I don't receive any other offers, then im signing that final offer letter by late next week. I'm going to miss having unlimited PTO but having a significant boost in salary is worth it. Have to also go back to that business casual life :scusthov:

• Dap
Reactions: Czr

princeofhaiti

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DMV
hey guys, im being offered a position @ the IRS with a long term contract plus full time benefits & public trust clearance. The only problem is that the job is in DC and thats about a hour commute for me. My current job (contract with no benefits) is only $2 less than what they are offering @ the IRS and its only 12 minutes away from my house. Any suggestions??? unsure what to do :francis:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Responsibilities

• Create and ensuring hardware / software applications, network and infrastructure components are operational.
  • Controlling user log-on and registration requirements including setup, changes and disabling / closing accounts.
  • Monitoring, tuning and performing trend analysis of the system / network performance. Taking appropriate steps to address any issues or recommending strategic solutions / improvements.
  • Detailing and implementing operational procedures.
  • Managing the helpdesk queue and resolving user issues. Managing any escalations to any third parties.
  • Forecasting future infrastructure requirements and ensuring that budget allocation is correct. Liaising with third suppliers and resolving any PO / Invoicing needs.
  • Planning and managing any office conversions or changes to data / cabling / desktops. Including managing any third parties involved in the project.

Skills & Requirements

• 2+ years of relevant support experience.
  • Appropriate tertiary certifications or qualification in IT.
  • Systems analysis and monitoring skills.
  • Strong troubleshooting skills – including the ability to research new and emerging issues.
  • Thorough knowledge of security and policies and procedures.
  • Specific technical skills and knowledge around: Networking including TCPIP protocols, cloud infrastructure, MS operating systems and software, virtual environments.
Every IT cat worth his salt is a hustler. Go there and expedite what you need to learn to maintain and flourish in your new job. :myman:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brehs I’m in the process of trying to transition from a medical career into IT one I see a lot of the job offerings want a degree should I go with bachelors in computer science or bachelors in cyber security?
Curious why do you want to change from the medical field to IT? Have you ever tried to combine both?

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
hey guys, im being offered a position @ the IRS with a long term contract plus full time benefits & public trust clearance. The only problem is that the job is in DC and thats about a hour commute for me. My current job (contract with no benefits) is only $2 less than what they are offering @ the IRS and its only 12 minutes away from my house. Any suggestions??? unsure what to do :francis:
Take the IRS gig..a short commute is nice....i once lived in the same city I worked...it was nice having a 5-7 min commute..especially when gas was 4-5 for reg..but when an offer came up for me to make 30K more even though it was a hour commute..i took it. In your case the money increase is minute but getting benefits and a clearance makes it worth it to me breh. My 2 cents.