IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Has anyone had success with Indian recruiters?

I haven't. Not one interview. Doesn't make sense because they make up 90% of the jobs I get emails for.

Between that and the smtp domain not matching the company they "allegedly" work for in the security details.... :francis:
Seems like they are harvesting info with nefarious intent :jbhmm:

Hope you brehs not giving up ya b day and last four of ya social :russ:smarten up. Just give them random #'s.

All my interviews came from white women :mjpls:

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
What's the politics like?
All types of nonsense man

Project Mangers blaming IT because they cannot manage shyt and promise clients b/s

Higher ups simply just not understanding that networks cost money $$$ they do not look at IT as worthwhile

I could only imagine how it could be if i was an IT manager/director :wow:

Illmagic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anyone got that CySA+ yet? If so what resources you use? Theres not as maney resources like sec+ was. I guess cause its a new test.

Also what kinda jobs should I apply for with my sec+? I know its unlikly I go from helpdesk to security admin so Im just looking to get on the right path and out of helpdesk.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Anyone else in this thread have to support events? Like AV stuff. I hate it.

People always have weird requests, never know exactly what they want, end up confusing me, or have crazy requests for a company of our size.

User: We need 5 microphones for an event
Me: We only have 4 (while wondering if our equipment even supports that many at a time)
User: Well, we'll have to get another one.
Facilities guy: Our receiver only supports 2 mics at a time. So that's all we can do.
User: Well, I guess we'll have to get another receiver then.

And ever other week, there's an All Hands meeting that we stream and record by using 2 laptops, a webcam, and video conferencing software. It's annoying to setup, especially because they don't give me the powerpoint until 2 minutes before it starts. It's also on free lunch day. So while I'm stressing to make sure everything's working, the rest of the office is lined up around me for food and reaching over me for cups and shyt.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Brehs I'm confused on how to set up a SQL database

I know how to build them in Access and code and everything, but I am trying to get the fukk away from Access and to real RDBMS

How do you warehouse the data? We get new files every week that we need to scrape and store from... do I have to combine to a new file every time, or can I store all the files for one table in one folder?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Brehs I'm confused on how to set up a SQL database

I know how to build them in Access and code and everything, but I am trying to get the fukk away from Access and to real RDBMS

How do you warehouse the data? We get new files every week that we need to scrape and store from... do I have to combine to a new file every time, or can I store all the files for one table in one folder?

You sound confused about what you even want to do.

Are you trying to simply create a database table that will be updates or are you trying to create a data warehouse?

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
You sound confused about what you even want to do.

Are you trying to simply create a database table that will be updates or are you trying to create a data warehouse?
I don't know all the lingo, I'm not an IT breh... I just know data :whoa: :mjcry:

I think I want to warehouse data. I get a bunch of files on a weekly basis that I need to combine and report out on. From what I'm reading it sounds like I can do that in SQL with a filegroup.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I don't know all the lingo, I'm not an IT breh... I just know data :whoa: :mjcry:

I think I want to warehouse data. I get a bunch of files on a weekly basis that I need to combine and report out on. From what I'm reading it sounds like I can do that in SQL with a filegroup.

A data warehouse is when you do a ton of joins which creates a fact table which can be used to get a better view of data that lives across multiple tables. You guys dont have a data visualization tool? If yall had something like qlik or tableau u could just point to all the tables u want to report on and it would show you what fields you could do joins on.

You can do all of this in excel but then youd need to create the DW (google how to create a star diagram in SQL server). Using excel to do this is pretty archaic

This may help

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I know and like Tableau, but there's two issues... one, deploying it across the user base would be a bit of a pain, and two, there has to be read/write capability for the users with the data, which Tableau doesn't have. I think in the interim I would probably create dashboards in Excel that I could script to read/transfer data to the SQL files until we can figure out how to build some kind of web platform. Truthfully if Tableau had read/write capability it would be the move but from what I know data only flows one way.

For now I'm gonna fukk with WinSQL to build the backbone and then figure out the user interface later. But my main hangup was how to combine multiple files into one table. Thanks :salute:

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris
I've been told by a co-worker that the "big three" certs for a youngster in the field are CompTIA, Network+ and Security+ - would anyone care to comment on the accuracy of this?

More specifically actually than that, I was curious about those certifications' bearing on someone going for an IS degree - do any of those factor less for someone looking to work in CIS related fields?

Dre23

Pro
Daps
I've been told by a co-worker that the "big three" certs for a youngster in the field are CompTIA, Network+ and Security+ - would anyone care to comment on the accuracy of this?

More specifically actually than that, I was curious about those certifications' bearing on someone going for an IS degree - do any of those factor less for someone looking to work in CIS related fields?

I had that same question someone told me to go straight to the CCENT. Instead of Network +. With your CCNA I’m not sure if a degree is needed. Anyone care to add their input?

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris
I had that same question someone told me to go straight to the CCENT. Instead of Network +. With your CCNA I’m not sure if a degree is needed. Anyone care to add their input?
I'm definitely going for my bachelors. My intended school is UMBC and they're renowned in my area for their grooming of STEM students, so I'll have a (hopefully) solid foundation for the first few certs that I pursue

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

It only makes sense to do CCENT/CCNA, if you want to go into networking. If you don't want to go down the networking route or you're not sure, do Network+. Even you want to get into networking & planning to do CCENT/CCNA, the knowledge learned from Network+ is going to be useful to you when doing CCENT/CCNA.

I saw a webinar from a couple months ago, where CompTIA's Director of Product Management for the Network+ exam did a good job explaining the differences between Network+ and CCENT/CCNA:

Skip to 20:25 mark:

Last edited: