IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris
It only makes sense to do CCENT/CCNA, if you want to go into networking. If you don't want to go down the networking route or you're not sure, do Network+. Even you want to get into networking & planning to do CCENT/CCNA, the knowledge learned from Network+ is going to be useful to you when doing CCENT/CCNA.

I saw a webinar from a couple months ago, where CompTIA's Director of Product Management for the Network+ exam did a good job explaining the differences between Network+ and CCENT/CCNA:

Skip to 20:25 mark:

Thanks for the info!

I'm still at the beginning of the road so a lot of this is jargon I've yet to really understand but I'm bookmarking this to come back to in a year or so

Billy Preston

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Brehs i finessed my way into a junior sys admin position. but i feel in over my head :lupe:. I've never held a position in IT but i finessed my resume as if i did. A recruiter hmu set me up with an interview. Interview was basic af i was expecting a test or something :heh:. Just asked about my previous made up experiece and my certs. Told me to come in next week for on boarding. The system adminstrator on vacation im not trying to get exposed brehs:damn:

Yo - did u start the gig yet? If so, how's it going? :lupe:

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
Quick question(I hope I am explaining this right)- I am paying for my Comptia A+ test soon and the price of the test is 221$ but Comptia has an exam voucher that is 97$ do I go with the exam voucher instead of the actual price of the test how does that work??

semtex

:)
Daps
Has anyone been through a company acquisition before (as in the company you were working for was acquired by another company)?

Akae Beka

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thinking about switching careers. What I'm doing now probably isn't sustainable looking forward 5-7 years from now( because I have a family) although I do make decent money (6 figures). I want to see if I can pick and learn my way into
another 6 figure paying job, even if it takes me years, I'm willing to put in the work. What would be the best route? I already got a shyt load of classes from umedy years ago but lately was looking at that coursea app.

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I have to be going through what is the worst transition in the history of the world :russ:

Our company is moving and being taken over, I was offered more money to stay but I did some research and took the payout to stick around and help out then leave in June:mjgrin:

Everyone thought I was trippin, now all these new cats who are friends of the new directors are coming in who don't know shyt, complete chaos - workload for most has tripled.

I've been working from home for the last month from now till June - there is a project freeze during the transition so nothing new can be started

I'm get the occasional phone call and answer some questions but otherwise I'm just studying for more certs :smugdraper:

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
Taking the A+ 901 for the first time on Friday anyone want to give me insight on what the test is like???

Steel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC - ATL-MIA
Taking the A+ 901 for the first time on Friday anyone want to give me insight on what the test is like???
A lot of troubleshooting questions and a couple simulations. Know the tcp/ip port numbers by heart. Also the 802.11 wireless frequencies. I didnt get a lot of hardware questions other than printers. I failed my first shot because i overlooked troubleshooting and was focused on memorizing pin counts and shyt then my test ended up being 60% troubleshooting. Passed on the second try. Good luck