IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
It looks like they made the new Network+ N10-007 exam easier than the N10-006 exam, according to this certmag.com article from November: http://certmag.com/overview-changes-comptias-new-network-exam/

The article is written by Emmett Dulaney. He's the Author of Exam Cram Network+ books & he's also the Author of the A+ & Security+ books from Sybex. He does a really good job breaking down the exam details & objectives of the N10-007 vs. N10-006.

Also, I'm currently watching a Webinar from February with with CompTIA's Director of Product Management for the Network+ exam. When talking about the major difference between the N10-006 & the N10-007 exams, she mentions that the N10-006 was geared towards Network Administrators, while the new updated N10-007 is geared towards Junior Network & Systems Admins.

Skip to the 17:45 mark:

So would it be better to take the N10-007 instead of the N10-006? Do I need to get new study material for the N10-007 or can I use material from the N10-006?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
It looks like they made the new Network+ N10-007 exam easier than the N10-006 exam, according to this certmag.com article from November: http://certmag.com/overview-changes-comptias-new-network-exam/

The article is written by Emmett Dulaney. He's the Author of Exam Cram Network+ books & he's also the Author of the A+ & Security+ books from Sybex. He does a really good job breaking down the exam details & objectives of the N10-007 vs. N10-006.

Also, I'm currently watching a Webinar from February with with CompTIA's Director of Product Management for the Network+ exam. When talking about the major difference between the N10-006 & the N10-007 exams, she mentions that the N10-006 was geared towards Network Administrators, while the new updated N10-007 is geared towards Junior Network & Systems Admins.

Skip to the 17:45 mark:

So would it be better to take the N10-007 instead of the N10-006? Do I need to get new study material for the N10-007 or can I use material from the N10-006?

:yeshrug: This is what I'm gonna use:

2. Professer Messer is currently putting out his N10-007 video course on YouTube, so I'm gonna start out with those videos: CompTIA Network+ N10-007 Training Course - YouTube

3. Whenever CBT Nuggets' N10-007 video course leaks on pirate sites or torrents later this month, I plan on downloading it.

4. I bought this Network+ N10-007 Hands-on Lab Sim for $30 from Pearson Vue's online store: http://www.pearsonitcertification.com/store/comptia-network-plus-n10-007-hands-on-lab-simulator-9780789759573

5. I'm also waiting for the PDF for Professer Messer's N10-007 course notes to leak on pirate sites or torrents.

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell

2. Professer Messer is currently putting out his N10-007 video course on YouTube, so I'm gonna start out with those videos: CompTIA Network+ N10-007 Training Course - YouTube

3. Whenever CBT Nuggets' N10-007 video course leaks on pirate sites or torrents later this month, I plan on downloading it.

4. I bought this Network+ N10-007 Hands-on Lab Sim for $30 from Pearson Vue's online store: http://www.pearsonitcertification.com/store/comptia-network-plus-n10-007-hands-on-lab-simulator-9780789759573

5. I'm also waiting for the PDF for Professer Messer's N10-007 course notes to leak on pirate sites or torrents.

Thanks for the info. I took the N10-006 in February and failed by 20 points. Hopefully the N10-007 will be a bit easier.

bucks3115

Superstar
Daps
Just got fired for the vacation I was told I could go on by my manager :ohhh:. I literally have the texts . Just passed 10 months at my first IT job too

The complete disconnect at that company between HR and IT.:mjlol: And they have no idea my colleague is about to leave

Welp Atleast it was a good resume builder. Got payed to 15 an hr to be a junior sys admin, network engineer and telephony engineer:ehh:

Wat was ur job as junior sys admn consist of ?

Was it stressful ?

All Star
Daps
Came to the realization that marking my race on Indeed apps has led to discrimination.

I'm talking jobs where I'm overqualified; the only correspondence is a rejection email. :francis:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Wat was ur job as junior sys admn consist of ?

Was it stressful ?
that shyt was easy asl, mostly just reset passwords, edited/moved/deleted users printers and computers in Active Directory, created powershell scripts etc...

junior system admin is basically entry level shyt.
Was this you first IT job?

BaRRyG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NyC

Thanks bro

Omw to kill that shyt, word to everything b.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Came to the realization that marking my race on Indeed apps has led to discrimination.

I'm talking jobs where I'm overqualified; the only correspondence is a rejection email. :francis:
I dont check gender or race anymore. If race mattered you would be applying for a diversity role you were recruited in advance for.

Steel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC - ATL-MIA
Brehs i finessed my way into a junior sys admin position. but i feel in over my head :lupe:. I've never held a position in IT but i finessed my resume as if i did. A recruiter hmu set me up with an interview. Interview was basic af i was expecting a test or something :heh:. Just asked about my previous made up experiece and my certs. Told me to come in next week for on boarding. The system adminstrator on vacation im not trying to get exposed brehs:damn:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Brehs i finessed my way into a junior sys admin position. but i feel in over my head :lupe:. I've never held a position in IT but i finessed my resume as if i did. A recruiter hmu set me up with an interview. Interview was basic af i was expecting a test or something :heh:. Just asked about my previous made up experiece and my certs. Told me to come in next week for on boarding. The system adminstrator on vacation im not trying to get exposed brehs:damn:
:demonic:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Can you post the job listing for the job you took?

Steel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC - ATL-MIA

Responsibilities

• Create and ensuring hardware / software applications, network and infrastructure components are operational.
  • Controlling user log-on and registration requirements including setup, changes and disabling / closing accounts.
  • Monitoring, tuning and performing trend analysis of the system / network performance. Taking appropriate steps to address any issues or recommending strategic solutions / improvements.
  • Detailing and implementing operational procedures.
  • Managing the helpdesk queue and resolving user issues. Managing any escalations to any third parties.
  • Forecasting future infrastructure requirements and ensuring that budget allocation is correct. Liaising with third suppliers and resolving any PO / Invoicing needs.
  • Planning and managing any office conversions or changes to data / cabling / desktops. Including managing any third parties involved in the project.

Skills & Requirements

• 2+ years of relevant support experience.
  • Appropriate tertiary certifications or qualification in IT.
  • Systems analysis and monitoring skills.
  • Strong troubleshooting skills – including the ability to research new and emerging issues.
  • Thorough knowledge of security and policies and procedures.
  • Specific technical skills and knowledge around: Networking including TCPIP protocols, cloud infrastructure, MS operating systems and software, virtual environments.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Responsibilities

• Create and ensuring hardware / software applications, network and infrastructure components are operational.
  • Controlling user log-on and registration requirements including setup, changes and disabling / closing accounts.
  • Monitoring, tuning and performing trend analysis of the system / network performance. Taking appropriate steps to address any issues or recommending strategic solutions / improvements.
  • Detailing and implementing operational procedures.
  • Managing the helpdesk queue and resolving user issues. Managing any escalations to any third parties.
  • Forecasting future infrastructure requirements and ensuring that budget allocation is correct. Liaising with third suppliers and resolving any PO / Invoicing needs.
  • Planning and managing any office conversions or changes to data / cabling / desktops. Including managing any third parties involved in the project.

Skills & Requirements

• 2+ years of relevant support experience.
  • Appropriate tertiary certifications or qualification in IT.
  • Systems analysis and monitoring skills.
  • Strong troubleshooting skills – including the ability to research new and emerging issues.
  • Thorough knowledge of security and policies and procedures.
  • Specific technical skills and knowledge around: Networking including TCPIP protocols, cloud infrastructure, MS operating systems and software, virtual environments.

:heh: I see where you fukked up taking this Junior Admin postion as your first IT job.

I got several admin positions saved in my Indeed profile. But everyone of them has the following in the job listings:

1. The listing mentiones only need 1 year of experience (or less) OR the listing doesn't say anything about needing experience

& most importantly

2. The listing says their specfically going to train you.

Here is 1 of the saved listing in my profile:
IT Network Administrator & Systems Support Technician

$45,000 - $65,000 a year

This is an entry-level position for a IT Network Administrator & Systems Support technician. In this role, you will improve your skills in providing IT administration and support for SMB clients in Dallas, Texas.

We are seeking applicants with experience supporting Windows Server remotely. This is a team-based position where you will interact with clients over the phone, IM and email. A great personality and a keen sense of curiosity are a must in this role!

Training will be provided for first 3-6 months.

Candidates that have 1-3 years of Windows desktop support experience are encouraged to apply.

This is a full-time position with benefits.

• Substantial training will be provided along with Certifications and classroom training. We want you to advance as quickly as possible.*

IT Network Administrator & Systems Support Tech

• Manage Active Directory services on Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 and 2016
  • Support a multi-site Microsoft Exchange 2010/2013 environment and O365
  • Support Cloud Solutions utilizing Microsoft Azure and Office 365 (training will be provided)
  • Install and configure new software images and hardware as required
  • Write and manage technical documentation, policies, and procedures for solutions
  • Provide input and participate in strategic planning sessions
  • Help define and establish common and advanced system administration practices and procedures
  • Use ConnectWise and Labtech (ConnectWise Automate) to track and automate your work.
Work environment includes arcade basketball hoop, Xbox One, cafe with stocked fridge and pantry.