IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Is Red Hat Linux free to download & use? I ask because I always see CentOS being recommend as a free alternative.

No, you gotta purchase it. Red Hat bought Centos not too long ago. It's the same thing, minus the Red Hat support you'd get at the enterprise level if you ran into trouble.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
just run a virtual machine for different OS's. thats what I do. I have Ubuntu and Mac OS virtual machines on my windows PC.

TryTry on your machine , it might work. Download the Centos 7 iso from Centos website and download Virtualbox. Use a guide to get it configured. Shyt might work on your machine.

Had a convo with a new hire to the squad who Nigerian. He came to America and never fuked with a computer. He got a little cheap ass machine and taught himself Linux. I asked him what made him to it he said he was hungry. Had to feed his family. Now breh working with us after coming from NASA.

Bags out here just put that time in.
Will tomorrow I need to go to bed now

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I have dabbled in C# with visual studio and fukking hate VS. I'll get back to C# later on. Eclipse supports more than Java? Netbeans is universal? Why would I need more programs than an IDE?

If you're serious about Java, use IntelliJ. Try out the community edition, which is free, but if you really like it, definitely get the subscription.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
If you're serious about Java, use IntelliJ. Try out the community edition, which is free, but if you really like it, definitely get the subscription.
Idc bout tedious ass Java, I knew eclipse is for it. Thank you very much, will consider in the future.

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
:ohhh::ohhh:I’m New to programming taking my second semester of Java right now but pretty much the first day of the first class they started us off in Netbeans so that’s the only way I know

My current professor does all his code in A Powershell window I think and it’s like magic too me lol

College Professors are trash when it comes to programming. Use IntelliJ for Java.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Try on your machine , it might work. Download the Centos 7 iso from Centos website and download Virtualbox. Use a guide to get it configured. Shyt might work on your machine.

Had a convo with a new hire to the squad who Nigerian. He came to America and never fuked with a computer. He got a little cheap ass machine and taught himself Linux. I asked him what made him to it he said he was hungry. Had to feed his family. Now breh working with us after coming from NASA.

Bags out here just put that time in.
That's dope
Edit:
My bad :snoop::deadmanny:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
@You Win Perfect or 1 of you networking brehs like @GollyImGully, what's the answer to this fill-in-the-blank question?:

An ARP broadcast is sent to the special MAC address ________.

:mindblown: I've watched the Google Coursea video on ARP like a million times, that video NEVER uses that exact phrase or line. So I can't figure out what's supposed to be the answer. I've already tried "destination" & "broadcast", both answers were wrong.

Daps
@You Win Perfect or 1 of you networking brehs like @GollyImGully, what's the answer to this fill-in-the-blank question?:

:mindblown: I've watched the Google Coursea video on ARP like a million times, that video NEVER uses that exact phrase or line. So I can't figure out what's supposed to be the answer. I've already tried "destination" & "broadcast", both answers were wrong.

How's it not destination? Or Layer 2 destination?

That special MAC address is in reference to each machine that's on that network in response to a ARP blast in a attempt to find out the owner of the IP address that's not in the look up table.

Idk how that can be one word :yeshrug:

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

How's it not destination? Or Layer 2 destination?

That special MAC address is in reference to each machine that's on that network in response to a ARP blast in a attempt to find out the owner of the IP address that's not in the look up table.

Idk how that can be one word :yeshrug:
The answer to the fill in the blank questions don't have to be 1 word.

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps

im pretty sure they are looking for the special one reserved for broadcasts which is FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

im pretty sure they are looking for the special one reserved for broadcasts which is FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
OK, that answer worked.

:whew:I think the 2nd course/Networking course in the Google Coursea program is the course that they weed out the people who just like talking about getting into IT from the folks who are serious about getting into IT. I'm basing this on how many few people are participating in the discussion prompts in course 2 (Anywhere between 100-300 people) compared to how many were participating in course 1 (several thousands) & the fact course 2 is way harder than course 1. I had to download CBT Nuggets' IPv4 subnetting course from a torrent overnight to understand subnetting better. Keith Barker from CBT Nuggets explained it way better than the mexican dude who is teaching the Google Coursea Networking course

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps
OK, that answer worked.

:whew:I think the 2nd course/Networking course in the Google Coursea program is the course that they weed out the people who just like talking about getting into IT from the folks who are serious about getting into IT. I'm basing this on how many few people are participating in the discussion prompts in course 2 (Anywhere between 100-300 people) compared to how many were participating in course 1 (several thousands) & the fact course 2 is way harder than course 1. I had to download CBT Nuggets' IPv4 subnetting course from a torrent overnight to understand subnetting better. Keith Barker from CBT Nuggets explained it way better than the mexican dude who is teaching the Google Coursea Networking course
wait till you get to course 4 and 5. shyt gets reeeaaal thin there.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
:ehh:

Studying for my CEH... Probably gonna be studying this for about a month, not sure if I'll test. Was thinking about going into a bootcamp in mid april, but I honestly start school afain in May and CEH is a part of the course work.

Right now, going through online lectures, Udemy (put that on hold until I finish some lectures), then probably gonna read thd book and do everything over again before I decide to test foreal. If I'm done by April then Ill do the bootcamp, if not just gonna go the long route through school.. At least thats the plan

I can always come out of pocket and pay for it but fukk that. I wonder if GI bill will pay for the bootcamp/test while I'm in school?