IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
let me give yall who want to get into IT but not sure where to go, a tip

linux

linux is hot af right now. i had a phone interview yesterday and talked with 2 recruiters. just got off the phone with another today. looking to pay $60-$65/hr.

im already employed at a super company, top 20 fortune 500. simply letting all of these companies go against each other if i even decide to leave :sas1:

ive literally had recruiters tell me they had to expand their pool outside of their area/state because they cant find enough qualified, linux people.

i missed this a few posts up but this entire post is accurate. im in this field. there's bags to be gotten.
What's the best cheapest laptop for learning Linux and practicing programming? I don't mind if it's between 11"-13" and the lighter the better.
Edit:
ANSWERS FROM OTHERS ARE WELCOMED.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
What's the best cheapest laptop for learning Linux and practicing programming? I don't mind if it's between 11"-13" and the lighter the better.
Edit:
Anything with 8GB of RAM should suffice. I'd reccomend a Windows laptop and set up a VM with Linux on it so you get practice in virtual environments. My work laptop has 16 and shyts on anything I've ever had for home use - but it is an enterprise laptop. I'm about to put in a request for more RAM though because my assignment is going to be heavy with VM usage. If you plan to be ballsy and have Linux as your host OS then anything with at least 4GB should be decent enough, but obviously the more the better. Get some flash drives and create some bootable images of Ubuntu, Lubuntu, and probably Red Hat or whatever enterprise IT is using and get comfortable doing installs. Then probably learn some shell scripting and Python because that's useful when dealing with automation scripts. Ruby may go along with that as well. I don't know if you know SQL but learning the basics wouldn't hurt. Get comfortable in the command line because if you have to SSH into a server there isn't gonna be a GUI :franchit:.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Edit:
As far as programming goes if your just learning you can pretty much use any computer just download an IDE like Netbeans or Eclipse . And google what else you need to download for your language of choice Java,C++, etc

Last edited:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
As far as programming goes if your just learning you can pretty much use any computer just download and IDE like Netbeans or Eclipse . And google what else you need to download for your language of choice Java,C++, etc
I think Ubuntu will come with gcc, Python 2.7, and maybe open jdk from the start. He can get vim and learn how to code outside of an IDE as well as how to compile and troubleshoot from the command line. At least for a few weeks, then move into eclipse, Netbeans, IntelliJ, etc.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
I think Ubuntu will come with gcc, Python 2.7, and maybe open jdk from the start. He can get vim and learn how to code outside of an IDE as well as how to compile and troubleshoot from the command line. At least for a few weeks, then move into eclipse, Netbeans, IntelliJ, etc.

:ohhh::ohhh:I’m New to programming taking my second semester of Java right now but pretty much the first day of the first class they started us off in Netbeans so that’s the only way I know

My current professor does all his code in A Powershell window I think and it’s like magic too me lol

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Anything with 8GB of RAM should suffice. I'd reccomend a Windows laptop and set up a VM with Linux on it so you get practice in virtual environments. My work laptop has 16 and shyts on anything I've ever had for home use - but it is an enterprise laptop. I'm about to put in a request for more RAM though because my assignment is going to be heavy with VM usage. If you plan to be ballsy and have Linux as your host OS then anything with at least 4GB should be decent enough, but obviously the more the better. Get some flash drives and create some bootable images of Ubuntu, Lubuntu, and probably Red Hat or whatever enterprise IT is using and get comfortable doing installs. Then probably learn some shell scripting and Python because that's useful when dealing with automation scripts. Ruby may go along with that as well. I don't know if you know SQL but learning the basics wouldn't hurt. Get comfortable in the command line because if you have to SSH into a server there isn't gonna be a GUI :franchit:.
SSH? I remember reading long ago some laptops you cant make the switch to Linux as your host OS. When I buy a new laptop, how do I know? (Won't be making this purchase soon) My main and only laptop has 6gb of ram and an i3 5005u processor. By installs you mean dual booting? Got any good resources for learning command line shyt? Thanks breh

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
As far as programming goes if your just learning you can pretty much use any computer just download an IDE like Netbeans or Eclipse . And google what else you need to download for your language of choice Java,C++, etc
I have dabbled in C# with visual studio and fukking hate VS. I'll get back to C# later on. Eclipse supports more than Java? Netbeans is universal? Why would I need more programs than an IDE?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
:ohhh::ohhh:I’m New to programming taking my second semester of Java right now but pretty much the first day of the first class they started us off in Netbeans so that’s the only way I know

My current professor does all his code in A Powershell window I think and it’s like magic too me lol
I used Netbeans when I took my computer graphics class, wasn't a fan of the UI. My first programming class she started us off by SSHing into the school's system and writing our stuff in vim and nano. After the first project I said fukk this and asked my roommate to show me how to use eclipse. The only reason I say to use command line when starting is so that you get an understanding of what an IDE is doing for you when you click build or run. After you have a grasp on that then IDE all day all night. But there's situations, I witnessed it at work today, where you have to make changes on a remote server and command line is all you got so you want to get your bearings before you get tossed into it.
SSH? I remember reading long ago some laptops you cant make the switch to Linux as your host OS. When I buy a new laptop, how do I know? (Won't be making this purchase soon) My main and only laptop has 6gb of ram and an i3 5005u processor. By installs you mean dual booting? Got any good resources for learning command line shyt? Thanks breh
I forget what it stands for but it's essentially logging into a remote server. If you do back end programming you'll probably have to do it a few times.
I've never heard of any restrictions, outside of hardware specs, for installing an operating system. I don't recommend installing Linux as your primary OS nor do I recommend dual booting. If you make a mistake it's not always easy to fix. If you install Virtualbox then you can make virtual machines and screw up as many times as you need to in order to learn and not hurt your host OS. By installs I mean installing the operating system and installing tools and packages you need for your development environment. I'd have to do some digging you find some of the stuff I used to learn (I'm not all that good at it). I think my main source was The Linux Bible or something along those lines. Search for it, I think it's free. If not then let me know and I'll see if I still have it.

Daps
Edit:

For Linux just grab something cheap with 8GB+ ram, you'll be creating a virtual Linux system anyway. Then use something like Virtualbox to set up your VM with whatever Linux distro you want.

I'd suggest starting with Centos. It is the equivalent of Red Hat without the support, and is free.

Go to Linuxacademy.com and start digging in. They even have VMs they provide that you can use to practice.

Once you get that down start focusing on Bash or Python for scripting.

In the corporate world most everybody gonna be running Red Hat, Centos, or Ubuntu. I'd focus on those. You get rolling then you can go for your certs, and you good.

To expand on post above, SSH = secure shell. It's a secure way to remotely login to servers/transfer files vs something like telnet.

Last edited:

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
For Linux just grab something cheap with 8GB+ ram, you'll be creating a virtual Linux system anyway. Then use something like Virtualbox to set up your VM with whatever Linux distro you want.

I'd suggest starting with Centos. It is the equivalent of Red Hat without the support, and is free.

Go to Linuxacademy.com and start digging in. They even have VMs they provide that you can use to practice.

In the corporate world most everybody gonna be running Red Hat, Centos, or Ubuntu. I'd focus on those. You get rolling then you can go for your certs, and you good.

To expand on post above, SSH = secure shell. It's a secure way to remotely login to servers/transfer files vs something like telnet.
laptop has 6gb of ram and an i3 5005u processor. Show me this cheap 8gb ram having laptops I can't seem to find. Thanks breh

Daps
laptop has 6gb of ram and an i3 5005u processor. Show me this cheap 8gb ram having laptops I can't seem to find. Thanks breh

Try on your machine , it might work. Download the Centos 7 iso from Centos website and download Virtualbox. Use a guide to get it configured. Shyt might work on your machine.

Had a convo with a new hire to the squad who Nigerian. He came to America and never fuked with a computer. He got a little cheap ass machine and taught himself Linux. I asked him what made him to it he said he was hungry. Had to feed his family. Now breh working with us after coming from NASA.

Bags out here just put that time in.

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

TryTry on your machine , it might work. Download the Centos 7 iso from Centos website and download Virtualbox. Use a guide to get it configured. Shyt might work on your machine.

Had a convo with a new hire to the squad who Nigerian. He came to America and never fuked with a computer. He got a little cheap ass machine and taught himself Linux. I asked him what made him to it he said he was hungry. Had to feed his family. Now breh working with us after coming from NASA.

Bags out here just put that time in.
Is Red Hat Linux free to download & use? I ask because I always see CentOS being recommend as a free alternative.